What to look for on a 2010 1.2 Yeti with 60k

muffty

Hello,

I am after some (more) advice please! Looking at a 2010 1.2 Yeti, has 60k on the clock, just wondered what I need to look for in terms of service history in regard to the belts (i have read some bits on here) - any pointers on general clutch life and any other gremlins that might pop up on a 5 year old car.

Thank you in advance!

Clutch?

DSG or

Manual

1/ An old test of a straight manual was to find a steep hill approach slowly in second and when starting the climb with clutch fully engaged apply max acceleration on full boost ......it will test the level of clutch grip......if the revs rise more than the speed of the vehicle it will be slip.

And

2/ If the clutch 'take-up' is late in the up travel, it's low on friction material......nearer the floor the more friction material

That's the old days

I can't see why it doesn't still apply unless (2/) they have some sort of travel self adjustment.....I doubt that.

It is a manual :)

After how many miles / years generally do you change a chain? 

thanks guys, as for a valuation, I know this is a personal opinion but a Yeti 1.2 SE in Good Condition...would be helpful,

Thank you...

If the records show it as not having been changed, dealer should get it done before you agree to buy.

Franchise dealer, private sale or used car dealer? If not a franchise dealer, I would ring your local franchise dealer, get them to quote for the chain replacement and confirm when due. Then use this as a bargaining point. I wouldn't trust a non franchise dealer or private seller to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the records show it as not having been changed, dealer should get it done before you agree to buy.

I think what Don is referring to is that the 1.2 TSi suffered from defective cam chains early on in its lifecycle in the Yeti. For example my Yeti 1.2 (2009) had a new engine in 2012 due to the defective cam chain causing irrepairable damage (the chain had stretched).

It's worth checking if yours has had a new chain fitted since a new design was introduced and many early Yetis had this remedial work done under warranty.