Turbo replacement on TDI vrs

Alfie987

Thinking of just replacing standard KKK with remanufactured turbo so I can just replace and not worry about mapping again, currently on stage1, think a remanufactured should last a while,any views ? And anyone used reman shop, or Midlands turbos ? Thanks

Paul

I had a very positive experience with a garrett  gt1749v in a bmw 320d which did about 260k before I flooded the engine. Does anyone know to what (if any) extent the mountings of the gt1749v used by bmw differs from the gt1749vb used in the pd130 or indeed the gt1749va ?

I haven't read many good reviews on midland turbos (looked in to using them myself) but don't have any direct experience with them myself as I wrote them off based on the reviews I read! Lol

AET Turbos seem very reputable. Shark performance deal with AET as well, so for me that in itself is a good recommendation.

I went for a gt1749va (think it came off a VW Bora) when I last replaced my turbo, rather than going with a KKK again, and I have a gt1749vb (pd150 off a MK4 Golf) which I'll probably be fitting at the weekend. I've picked up both garrett turbos off ebay second hand and they've been decent. It can be bit of a minefield though buying second hand turbos.

In terms of mounting, only thing that needed/needs doing on the garrett turbos is clocking of the compressor housing to line up with the fabia boost pipes.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by AshVrs

Yes pd150 is tempting but looking to replace with another turbo I don't have to remap or change clythc ,intercooler etc

Only difference is the egr pipe won't fit so you'll have to buy a couple blanking plates which are a few pounds each. This will cause the eml light on but that can be mapped out.

Will work fine with a standard map, might notice slightly lag low down like I did, but I soon remapped mine and it did fly.

I now have a AET hybrid and pushing 230bhp.

• Like 1