100% compatible aftermarket headunit?

Hi guys

just doing some research really, ive searched but not found a definitive answer as such. 

Is there an aftermarket headunit that is fully compatible with the maxidot and MFSW in my 2013 Fabia?

or is it a case of sticking with the Columbus or Amunsden (which is better? cant decide haa) to get all the features? 

I have already upgraded my door speakers to Audison Primas and was hoping for a fully functioning headunit with sat nav, bluetooth, SD card (or just some form of storing audio). 

Cheers in advance. 

its a minefield out there, isnt it? 

• Like 1

I've been looking at alternatives for my 2013 Fabia. There are some after market alternatives, both VW and others. The original ones that you can fit are rcd310/315 or rcd510 (with or without dab), rns315 (Amundsen) or rns510 (Columbus). The RCD-versions are without navigaion. Columbus is definately a more high end model than Amundsen, but also more expensive.

As for other makers, I know there's a Kenwood that should work out of the box (DNX-525DAB).  I think one of the top end Pioneers support all features as well. I don't know if these show navigation info on your maxidot display like the original stereos will do.

I decided to get a second hand Swing with DAB (RCD310 with DAB that is) for now and wait until carplay has matured for a year or two before really investing into a new stereo.

If you don't care about carplay/mirrorlink and want to get something now, get the Columbus with LED-screen and DAB(+). Or you could go for the Kenwood if you want carplay/mirrorlink as it is right now.

• Like 2

I've been looking at alternatives for my 2013 Fabia. There are some after market alternatives, both VW and others. The original ones that you can fit are rcd310/315 or rcd510 (with or without dab), rns315 (Amundsen) or rns510 (Columbus). The RCD-versions are without navigaion. Columbus is definately a more high end model than Amundsen, but also more expensive.

As for other makers, I know there's a Kenwood that should work out of the box (DNX-525DAB). I think one of the top end Pioneers support all features as well. I don't know if these show navigation info on your maxidot display like the original stereos will do.

I decided to get a second hand Swing with DAB (RCD310 with DAB that is) for now and wait until carplay has matured for a year or two before really investing into a new stereo.

If you don't care about carplay/mirrorlink and want to get something now, get the Columbus with LED-screen and DAB(+). Or you could go for the Kenwood if you want carplay/mirrorlink as it is right now.

Cheers mate!

Confirmed some thoughts ive been having. Im currently looking at the LED, Dab Columbus.

I certainly want satnav, as i dont think its worth upgrading without. Not sure about DAB, but im thinking there will probably be a complete changeover on a few years like there was with TV. So maybe in the long term, the DAB unit should hold its money much better?

Not sure if i want the hassle of changing the roof aerial or having an aerial on the windscreen though, so might just leave that for a later on?

Cheers again

£500 bloody quid though hahaa

About half of what they cost here :( At least for a dab unit.

Aerial wise, I've never had any issues with windscreen mounted ones, but other people have. Guess it depends on where you are.

In Norway they start switching off analouge broadcasts in 2017 so I couldn't justify spending £££ on a non-dab hu and I'm a bit of a nerd so I really want that carplay/mirrorlink stuff.

• Like 1

If you're not that picky with getting full communication back to the Maxidot, any Android stereo for VW could be interesting... I've recently fitted an Ownice C200 (bought it from Aliexpress.com for about 350$ including shipping) and after some googling and tinkering it really does work well. One downside is that it's always "on" and must be shut down manually. Something strange going on with the CAN-bus there... I intend to fix it with a wire from the fuse box that is run off of the ignition, unless Ownice can come up with a better solution.

Other than that, it works really well. CAN-bus connection means that it shows Climatronic, open doors, moving guide lines on reverse camera and probably more, and it talks back with the Maxidot in that it shows the radio channel you're listening to. No navigation feedback there though.

Running an Android stereo has some other benefits though, like installing Spotify and running it straight from the head unit. Gives you better sound, and you don't have to wear out the battery of your smartphone when streaming... And, of course, since it's Android you can install pretty much anything you want. Watch movies, play games, a lot of inputs and outputs for audio and video, and so on.

Installing that stereo and a reversing camera in my Superb cost me less than half of what it would have cost me to buy a Columbus and an OEM reversing camera. To me, those 400$ I saved are worth a bit of tinkering. :P

• Like 1

Cheers for the info guys (:

I fitted a DAB columbus yesterday :). Just plug and play really, other than mounting the GPS aerial.

Very pleased with it tbf. Even looks 100% better than the swing before you turn it on haha.

It doesnt sound quite as good as the swing though (i do have Audison speakers fitted too) but i think thats due to the manufacturer of the headunit, not the model itself. Im thinking about how to improve on this.

I could swap it out for a Delphi one (thats what make my swing is) if they make one.. Or maybe amp it.. Hmm

Cheers for the info guys (:

I fitted a DAB columbus yesterday :). Just plug and play really, other than mounting the GPS aerial.

Very pleased with it tbf. Even looks 100% better than the swing before you turn it on haha.

It doesnt sound quite as good as the swing though (i do have Audison speakers fitted too) but i think thats due to the manufacturer of the headunit, not the model itself. Im thinking about how to improve on this.

I could swap it out for a Delphi one (thats what make my swing is) if they make one.. Or maybe amp it.. Hmm

Delphi only manufactures the Swing.

Was the unit new or used? Was it coded properly to your car?

Delphi only manufactures the Swing.

Was the unit new or used? Was it coded properly to your car?

ah okay. cheers haha

Ive just been looking through several threads tonight, and it seems it might be the coding that is the issue? 

its a used unit. August 2013.. and hasnt been coded at all, ive just plugged it in. It all works, apart from i dont get any directions on the maxidot (MFSW still works) and the sound completely lacks depth and drive. just not much of a soundstage to it. (but i am abit picky with sound haha) 

reckon some coding will sort that mate? :) 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Yes, coding might well be your issue here.

You should look into and set:

Byte 1: Sound System not installed (unless you have one, I reckon you don't)

Byte 2: 4 Speaker channels (front and rear)

Byte 5: Equalization: Linear

About the Maxidot, it should work if Byte 7 Bit 7 is ticked. Otherwise you may need an upgrade. Keep setup pressed for 30 seconds, press Version Info and report back the version number.

Lastly, play with the built-in equalizer and the Loudness option, this may make the sound a bit better.

If you are an audiophile consider getting yourself a separate amplifier.

Yes, coding might well be your issue here.

You should look into and set:

Byte 1: Sound System not installed (unless you have one, I reckon you don't)

Byte 2: 4 Speaker channels (front and rear)

Byte 5: Equalization: Linear

About the Maxidot, it should work if Byte 7 Bit 7 is ticked. Otherwise you may need an upgrade. Keep setup pressed for 30 seconds, press Version Info and report back the version number.

Lastly, play with the built-in equalizer and the Loudness option, this may make the sound a bit better.

If you are an audiophile consider getting yourself a separate amplifier.

Top man! Cheers mate! Just what i wanted to hear (:

The SW version is 5270

Ive had a play with the settings (i dont seem to have an equaliser like some) but ive put the bass on 4, mid on 2 and treble on 1, just to make it listenable.

I wouldnt mind an amp, but i was happy with the sound of the swing tbh, with the upgraded speakers.

Cheers again :).

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Top man! Cheers mate! Just what i wanted to hear (:

The SW version is 5270

Ive had a play with the settings (i dont seem to have an equaliser like some) but ive put the bass on 4, mid on 2 and treble on 1, just to make it listenable.

I wouldnt mind an amp, but i was happy with the sound of the swing tbh, with the upgraded speakers.

Cheers again :).

If you can access the secret menu tell us your HW version, your radio HW version, your HW vehicle and I might have something of an upgrade to suggest. Also if you have VCDS handy post a full scan.

Your problems can be fixed anyway, so enjoy your new HU :)

If you can access the secret menu tell us your HW version, your radio HW version, your HW vehicle and I might have something of an upgrade to suggest. Also if you have VCDS handy post a full scan.

Your problems can be fixed anyway, so enjoy your new HU :)

ooo exciting stuff :) haha. im glad, because i really like the unit itself, so dont want to have to get rid because the audio isnt up to my picky taste. i will probably amp it at a later date anyway though tbh. 

The secret menu shows the following: 

Delivery Part number: 3T0035686C

HW version: H10

SW version:5270 

Active map covers.. West Europe

Active map supplied.. Navteq

Map Version: 8348

it doesnt mention a HW vehicle of any type.. but maybe ill find that in VCDS when it gets plugged in? I dont have VCDS personally, but i've been in contact with a local guy today who has it, and he reckons he can sort me out. Hes thinking he might be free on Thursday night.. so hopefully then. 

I dont have a VCDS scan since the Columbus has been installed.. however i do have one from about 2 weeks ago, when it had the Swing in. Ill copy and paste it, just incase it shows you anything of any use :D

ill PM you the full scan mate.. ive just thought, i dont know if it contains anything that i shouldnt post online  :D

Your help is muchly appreciated. Thankyou :)

Edited by fabiamk2SE

It was set to 'vw sound system'. So basically sounded like id wired it to £5 speakers haha

Sounds much better now, maybe still a touch behind the Swing but nothing to cry about. Might amp it still ;).

Thanks for your help Eyegr. Much appreciated (:

• Like 1

So after still not being happy with it.. And the VCDS user i used using it too fast for me to realise whats going on.. I bought VCDS.

He'd done everything apart from set the eq to Linear.

So ive done that.. And now it sounds better. Ill haveva proper listen soon. Ive gotta drive 2 hours tonight, so time will tell.

Havent had time yet to use vcds for anything else or explore haha

Another idea:

Could it be a speaker polarity problem? If a speaker is wired the other way round then it will negate the bass of the other speaker. Search youtube for ways to test it. There is also an mp3 which you can play through your SD on the Columbus to test it.

• Like 1

Another idea:

Could it be a speaker polarity problem? If a speaker is wired the other way round then it will negate the bass of the other speaker. Search youtube for ways to test it. There is also an mp3 which you can play through your SD on the Columbus to test it.

Thanks. Will look into this (:

Ive turned 'loudness' off and set the EQ to the skoda superb setting, that seems abit better haha.