Oil change

How's it going guys.

Just done my first oil change on the Fabia.. replaced sump plug and filter.

Refilled with 4.2L oil, ran the engine for a couple of minutes to ensure there was no leaks..

No leaks!

Popped out about half hour later to check the dipstick.. it's only indicating half-way on the dipstick.

I am aware that there will be some in the system, and the oil filter will now be full of oil - so will require a small top-up.. but is it right for it to be sat at half-way?

The engines been turned off for about an hour now - so if it is right, is it a case of just topping up till its near the top of the kink??

I know the capacity is only 4.3 so not sure if I should be putting more in :-)

Cheers guys - it's my first service following the guide on here - and I'm remotely chuffed :)

Yes it's normal.

It's always a good idea when changing the oil to fill up to top level on dipstick, start the car and let it idle for a few min then check again.

The oil should be at the top of the hatched area, and not the kink.

watermarked_OIL_-__026.jpg

• Like 1

Brill.

It's been overfilled with oil since i owned the car.. circa 1500 miles ago.. (not knowingly - misread the dipstick.. my fault!)

It's running fine since the oil change.. it's smoking on start-up. White smoke when it's wetter and cold..

With it being overfilled - is there anything I should be on the lookout for? My mpg is hovering around 40mpg on the trip - but it's had very mixed driving.. was sat on 46.5 over 2200 miles when I bought it.

It doesn't smoke under acceleration.. just cold and wet start-ups.

It feels a little lumpy for 3-4 seconds on initial start-up but then idles fine.

Edited by MidWalesVRS