Frost warning

I can't believe how many people complain about this? It's only a little ping!

I'm quite aware when it's cold - I don't need a nanny warning ping to tell me. It nearly always causes me to jolt in case it's something actually serious - like sudden loss of pressure in a tyre (which makes the same pinging noise).

I am quite aware when it is cold, i defrosted the windows the other day it was -1.

5 miles later and 4*oC.

then soon 6 & 7,  into Perth 30 miles later it Pinged and i had no idea it was 1*oC, because it was dry, 

then 6*oC at the River and as i left Perth on the Motorway it was 0*oC then 8*oC or so through Fife.

Edinburgh had a Frost Warning, then across country was no issue.

The thing i miss is car that just shows the temp without an Audible Warning at 4*oC.

My Volvo warns at 4, then 2, then at Zero Degrees C.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 1

I'm quite aware when it's cold - I don't need a nanny warning ping to tell me. It nearly always causes me to jolt in case it's something actually serious - like sudden loss of pressure in a tyre (which makes the same pinging noise).

Not always possible to tell from inside the car though.. If its a nice day, dry, sunny.. But actually 0 degrees.

Now, the one on my bike. Thats pointless. I know its freezing.. I cant feel my hands.. :D

If one didn't care too much about the accuracy of the outside temperature info, one could put a resistor in series or parallel with the sensor, making it read colder or hotter respectively, to move the alarm point away from what's going on in reality.

If one didn't care too much about the accuracy of the outside temperature info, one could put a resistor in series or parallel with the sensor, making it read colder or hotter respectively, to move the alarm point away from what's going on in reality.

Or unplug it.

However you can run the risk of damaging the air con system by doing it.

I sympathise with you. I drive in and out of town areas/rural areas quite a bit, daily and in cold weather, it pings quite frequently. Startles you at first but you get hardened to it. 

The frost warning pings at 4c, but doesnt go away until about 5.5 -6c i dont think (the symbol is still next to the temp).

So i guess you have to be just in the right temp zone and it has to fluctuate just enough.

Mine usually pings and stays pinged :D

Yeah to stop the evaporator freezing.

Makes sense, but wouldn't that be interlocked to the evaporator temperature sensor then, rather than the ambient temp one? Or do both get involved?

I can almost feel some experimentation coming on.

• Like 1

Anybody any ideas about how to turn down the sound of the frost warning.? Where I live the temperature at this time of year can hover around the 4 degrees. It inevitable pings just as I move out of a lit area and into the dark. Makes me jump!

Go for a MKIII. Gives only one ping after start. :)

Had this happen a few times and I keep forgetting when it's cold, it pings mid-journey and I immediately frown and go "...I can't be low on petrol alrea-oh it's just cold outside" :p

Makes sense, but wouldn't that be interlocked to the evaporator temperature sensor then, rather than the ambient temp one? Or do both get involved?

I can almost feel some experimentation coming on.

It references the ambient temp sensor to shut the AC down. Depending on the system they may have a second sensor mounted in the plenum area for this and not use the dash sensor.

Never heard or noticed it shutting down the A/C though... the obvious thing is to alert you to ice formation on the roads to help prevent skidding/loss of traction. 

I would have thought the a/c would still be running normal as you're gonna have heating on and without a/c, the windows are gonna start to mist up quite a bit! I could be wrong and/or have different system though, I optioned climate control over the standard a/c.

(Climatronic).

It does not matter if you have heard of or noticed it, it does it.

Like right now as i am ready to set off at 2*oC temp outside. the A/C is disabled. That is with Climatic Control.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot