redex in a vrs

Ant-Vrs

So I've put a full bottle of the stuff in my vrs the other day to a full tank of 98 octane fuel. I know it says have a bottle to a full tank but I've always done it the other way.

So I've used about a quarter of a tank of fuel and the car goes like stink now even more than it did before...

Just wanted to know if people had used it and got the same results.

Ant

• Like 1

?

Who sells 98 Ron fuel in the UK, or did you get this abroad?

Sainsburys, Esso & BP Super Unleaded 97 Ron.

Tesco Momentum 99, Shell V-Power Nitro+ 99 ron in the UK.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

I've used the old "raspberry syrup" version of Redex, ie the one you used at one "strength" for normal use and the other "strength" for a special treat, and that worked well on older cars, then I tried the later version, it did not seem to do anything obvious - well no improvement in drivability or economy with using the dosed tank full like the old stuff, so I've just run the remainder through my lawn mower - it seems to like it, well the fumes kept some of the flies away, can't be a bad thing!

Edit:- That guy in the youtube thing looks a lot happier than when someone "stole" his right to the BTTC crown the other month!

Edited by rum4mo

That's a fuel system cleaner? So unless the system was already too clogged, I can't see how it can offer extra performance. That been said, and I've written in in another thread in the past as well, TSIs are known for deposit build up over time depending also on the use they get so I can't deny it might have actually "freed" up the engine since i don't know the car in question.

If you're into fuel additives though I can recommend one that's been reported to work fine with actually measured gains and that's been used by a few owners into tuning and racing for several years, I'm talking about Torco. That's not a cleaner though, it rather falls under the race fuel category.

I had bought a bottle of it after my stage 2 map. The problem was that the map was set for 100 ron fuel before I realised there is no such fuel available in Sweden so during full boost I was having excessive ignition retardation (between 4-6 degrees) and occasional misfires. A little bit of Torco in the corresponding ratio that brought the fuel mix up to 100ron level and retardation almost disappeared (ranged from 0-2 degrees) and it definitely felt stronger. We then relaxed the map slightly to suit the 98ron fuel we have here but that thing definitely worked. People use it in even more aggressive rations (104+ ron) and you can see the results on dyno and drag racing. I don't know how safe it would be over long-time for everyday use (and it's not very cheap). It usually makes the plugs orange but people that use it say it's been fine.

The only issue being that TSI/TFSI are direct injection engines, so the main area for concern wrt clogging will probably be the inlet port areas and fuel gets injected after this point in the current engines.

The only issue being that TSI/TFSI are direct injection engines, so the main area for concern wrt clogging will probably be the inlet port areas and fuel gets injected after this point in the current engines.

Exactly the reason traditional fuel cleaners can't really do much in these engines as the carbon deposits have built up at the inlet port, not inside the chamber where fuel (and cleaner) is being sprayed. I guess a small fraction can escape to the inlet ports during valve opening and actually do something, and that might be the reason it's recommended to be done either as early as possible or not at all. If done from day 1 and at quite a small interval (5-10K) where deposits are still soft and minimum there might still be hope, otherwise after a certain point no cleaner (through fuel) will be able to remove what's built up over 50K miles. That's why I don't think a one-off use of such a product on a car with certain miles already on, can be of any benefit. 

That's just how bad they look on a CAVE Cupra with less than 40K miles: 

12108110_10205235562104617_8552404452386

And here is back to "shinny" after air manifold was taken off and a special carbon cleaner was poured in together with a bit of scrubbing:

12238153_10205332200640520_5674656075942

Don't even think that a fuel cleaner might be able to do even 1/10 of this work.

By the way that is not my car ( I hope it was). I'll just wait for it to become much worse and do a proper rebuild  :p

I put a full redex in my Datson banger in 1991 on the recomendation of a mechanic. He said you will have to change all the plugs after you have used the treated petrol. He was right it did ruin the plugs and it cured the problem too. Good engine on that datson, shame the body rusted to bits.

Edited by m8t

The "bonus" with the version of Redex being sold in 1980's was, the amazing cloud of smoke after you dosed the carb directly, the spiritual (?) theory was, that if you wanted to believe it, the cloud of smoke "proved" that all the nasty stuff was being driven out of the engine, quite impressive as I seem to remember a neighbour "cleaning" his engine out!

• Like 1