driveshaft + hub flance & bearing = abs/traction light

So today ive had passenger side drive shaft changed, and the hub flange with bearing already pressed in.

Car has abs + traction lights on dash, ive cleared the codes on vcds and it comes right back on when driving...

All parts where new, so i don't understand what's happening, would fitting a new hub with the magnetic strip require calibration? 

I always just put the diagnostic computer on live data, it shows all four wheels and what speed they are reading, usually drive up to 20mph and see what they read, 3 will say 20mph and one will say somthing different.

I'd then do a visual inspection to check the sensor, bearing and wiring.

Ok so, cars been back to the garage ... they cant sort it as its a wiring issue. They say that the wiring off the sensor has been taped up previously, they haven't touched it as they are not auto electricians ...  fck me its 2 wires ... sht gargage!! 

If i had a rain free drive i wouldn't have taken it to a garage, i hate relying on other people to do a bad job, really fcks me off!

So after all i guess i will be getting **** wet on Saturday to fix two wires!

Gen 2 tools pull the bearing in, can bet the garage has pressed the hub in which then puts pressure on the inner race causing bearing damage and the abs is picking up movement. Gen 2 pullers can be bought for about £50.

Ask them if they pressed it in on a press as they probably damaged your bearing.

Gen 2 tools pull the bearing in, can bet the garage has pressed the hub in which then puts pressure on the inner race causing bearing damage and the abs is picking up movement. Gen 2 pullers can be bought for about £50.

Ask them if they pressed it in on a press as they probably damaged your bearing.

The bearing was already pressed in, it was on a hub face flange already with bearing pressed in. So not so sure how they could have gone wrong?

Like this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Skf-Wheel-Bearing-Kit-for-Skoda-VKBA3569-/380972267370?hash=item58b3b7776a:g:YtgAAOSwEK9T6El6

Edited by FromTheDarkness

Yeh but pressing the hub flange into thw hub is not the correct way to fit them, the puller clamps in behind and pulls the flange in, garages without the correct tool press the flange part into the hun and the pressure is on the inner race not the outer causeing damage. All gen 2 bearing come with the flange fitted.

Edited by 12345Jay
  • Like 1

Cheers for that. Added to my Amazon wishlist. Not sure anyone loves me quite enough, but you never know. :D

Yeh but pressing the hub flange into thw hub is not the correct way to fit them, the puller clamps in behind and pulls the flange in, garages without the correct tool press the flange part into the hun and the pressure is on the inner race not the outer causeing damage. All gen 2 bearing come with the flange fitted.

Im not being hard work here, im just trying to find out what is what, the car is back at the garage and tomorrow they are sourcing and fitting a new bearing. But if they dont have the tool/ knowledge they are just going to fck it up again... are these bearing rare or something, aint they used across the vag platform .. ?

so all gen2 are build into a flange? 

i see bearing that are not, are they not gen2 then? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-CONTINENTAL-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-FOR-SKODA-FABIA-1-9TD-8-2003-11-2008-2740-/111461031480?fits=Model%3AFabia%7CCars+Type%3A1.9+TDI+RS&hash=item19f3985e38:g:3wcAAOSwfcVUEuQJ

That is just a display pic still a gen 2 hub(a cheap one) most cars these days use them the bearing comes as part of a flange, they aint rare just a lot of manufacturers use that type now, makes fitting them witout correct tools hard and makes it easy for main dealers to make more as means doing the correctly is a main dealer job unless you have the correct gen 2 puller. Ive found pressing them in with a press destroys them or makes them fail really quickly hence why i bought the tool for doing them.

Edited by 12345Jay
  • Like 1

Just for extra stress.... Wheel bearings have been fitted wrongly and not fitted fully into the housing. There are piccies around the Fabia 1 section somewhere showing this on someone else's car. Obviously the ultimate incarnation of this is your front wheel falling off! ISTR there's a locking C ring or summat that effectively retains the hub in the housing.