My winter driving videos - Yeti

coldplug

I have to say that really is impressive and illustrates exactly what a 4x4 with the right tyres can do, however, if we had a 1/10 of that snow over here you wouldn't be able to see any of it for all the cars stuck in it with many just abandoned.

What causes problems here is not the vehicles and tyres we have, but what the vast majority of the rest of the driving population has!

• Like 1

Up in Perthshire and especially in Perth we had about an inch of soft, fairly wet, snow. I was amazed again to note the number of expensive car owners (Audi, VW, BMW) who couldn't afford a set of winter tyres. Any hint of a brae and most vehicles ground to a spinning halt. The Yeti sailed along avoiding the spinning hoards.

Thanks for the videos. Most impressive. :thumbup: 

Great videos Coldplug thanks for sharing. :clap:

I don't know if its worth buying the winter tyres (£88 a tyre from blackcircles) in the for driving around Liverpool as it's very rare we get more than 5cm of snow on the ground.  :think:

When you say 'worth it' remember the tyres don't really cost anything as your summer tyres will last a lot longer when not in use! Also, don't need snow to benefit. When temperatures are low (<7C) you can expect winter tyres to offer better grip, shorter braking distances than summer tyres.

• Like 2

If you have snow only rarely, I would say that one of biggest advantages of having winter tyre during colder months is to prevent big danger in possible situations of sudden ice on road, especially when driving during night, when this possibility is bigger and it is harder to visually detect such condition. Ice can form anytime if temperature is below freezing, when water is spilled to the road, or condensed from air, especially near rivers, lakes and so on... Summer tyre on such ice patches could lead to serious trouble. Even winter tyre will have problem but you have much better chances to stay in control of car if you suddenly encounter ice on road.

In low temperatures summer tyre does become harder and lose some grip power, but if road is clear that isn't a big problem, there is still big safety margin, but if summer tyre gets on ice patch then trouble is very probable.

Impressive considering the ground clearance.

Is the 5th generation haldex better than previous or would an older Yeti be just as accomplished?

I know my Golf has 5th gen haldex but no ground clearance but hopefully my Defender deals with any proper cold stuff we my rarely get here.

Edited by Defenderben

Is the 5th generation haldex better than previous or would an older Yeti be just as accomplished?

From technical description 4th and 5th generation should provide pretty much the same performance. Both are predictive, which means that rear wheels are engaged usually before front wheels slip which is good in comparision to old generations that had to slip front wheels to start powering rears. But 5th gen is simpler, cheaper and weights less than 4th gen unit.

• Like 1

Putting Yeti close to extreme limits...

Driving through ~40cm (15 inches) of snow on ~6% ascent toward mountain pass:

Extracting from parking area

2.0 TDI, 81kW, 4x4, manual transmission, offroad button. Tyres Nokian WR D4, 215/60-16.

Will add more during the winter stay tuned.

Putting Yeti close to extreme limits...

Driving through ~40cm (15 inches) of snow on ~6% ascent toward mountain pass:

Extracting from parking area

2.0 TDI, 81kW, 4x4, manual transmission, offroad button. Tyres Nokian WR D4, 215/60-16.

Will add more during the winter stay tuned.

Snow monster indeed!

Thanks for posting.

Please note that prolonged and hard use of EDL "locking" can significantly overheat breaking discs and they can be damaged. When you activate OffRoad button and push vehicle hard into snow or similar slippy surface, EDL starts to break really hard to keep wheels rotating at same speed (you will clearly feel shaking - i will upload unstabilized part of that moment when I'm entering ~40cm deep snow from plowed road, you will see shaking on camera because breaks are pulsing the faster rotating wheels). Without OffRoad mode enabled, EDL is much less violent.

Edited by coldplug
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks,Coldplug.

Amazing videos.The chances of me ever driving in snow here in Israel are not big,but your videos certainly give confidence in the 4x4 Yeti we own.

Come warmer weather here,Ill take her out to see how she handles sand,and ill post the vids here.

Again,thanks a lot.Much appreciated.

Yeah, really good advert for the off-road button! Very glad I spec'd it for my SE.

Yesterday proved how good the button was. I've had the car four years now and never felt the offroad button did much good.

However, in six inches of snow on top of slush/ice, frozen by wind chill, going up a very steep slope with 4/5 sharp bends on a gravel road was a bit scary at first. I backed down carefully as it felt very wayward, the back end wanted to slip down the camber of the road.

Anyway, press the button, give it a bit of throttle, and the ABS stuff kicks in more aggressively and we went all the way to the top with no drama at all. Kept it in 2nd gear at about 20 mph.

The thing that put me off before was that you need to be a bit more brutal with the throttle pedal, otherwise it can stall!!

And this was on 4mm left on Goodyear 4Seasons -  so still some life left in them. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...