Monte Tyres 205/45/17

keithw

I'm thinking of replacing the standard 205/45/17 tyres with 205/45/17 tyres.

I realize this will probably alter the speedo reading by -3.33%

i.e. 58 mph actual with a 60 mph speedo reading.

Ride height increase 10.25mm.

I'm thinking the 45's maybe somewhat more cushioning than the 40's?

Any experiences of this tyre change would be appreciated.

(If I go ahead I will of course advise the insurance company).

Keith

Maybe go 215/40 R17.

The size that was and is standard on some A1, Seat Ibiza & VW Polo.   Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

PS

I think your Ride height calculation is out.

The car can only sit higher off the ground (clearance) by the difference of the sidewall to the wheel rim height.

ie Half the extra that the Tyre is taller. (Wheel / hub centre to the road surface.)

Different Brands and tyre type can be very different from the Numbers showing on the tyres.

Be careful to compare the tyres side by side, if choosing Summers or Winters, 

i can show you pics of 205/40 R 17 Summers next to 205/45 R 17 winters when on my own computer,

there is quite a difference.

Just now i have on 215/40 R 17 M+S tyres and they are pretty good.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

I would really like the Michelin Cross Climate tyres but they aren't available in the size I need.

What would you recommend as an alternative? I'm looking for a good all round all season tyre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we have just put maxxis AP2's (all season with snowflake mark) on the abarth in 205/40/17 (V rated!) and they are pretty awesome.... 4 fitted for £320 , and they came 4th in the recent autoexpress test , beating pirelli and bridgestone in some cases!

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/news/tyre/ap2-review

its a brand new tyre from them, so right up to date!

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 2

they beat some big names... most on "snow"... dry braking (warmer temps)....and aquaplaning...... lost on some other areas..... I think they will work well up here in the lakes, the Abarth mainly just carries swmbo to work and back, no track days or hard "pushing" type driving, plus they have the speed rating needed (V) , and I have had maxxis before in Z1 summer tyre on the vRS and liked it.... jason uses them on the mongrel, much underestimated manufacturer in my opinion... not cheap plastic stuff, they have their own race series, and are big in the motorbike world etc

only done a few hundred miles on them so far, but they are very good so far :) especially in the recent bad weather (stormy wet 3C today!)

probably best feature I have noticed, is improved wet traction.... the Abarth could spin up the pirelli's it came with in 3rd, by putting your foot down.. (being a mad (mapped) Abarth, you get turbo lag.... nothing... nothing.... then it tears your face off... lol..! you can do this in 2nd now in the rain, and they still grip! (1st has to be left for the electronic diff, or simply not done! lol)

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

. Good review shark, I'm a little 1.2 105 so no great power but I have Mitchell's on atm and in the wet will just spin wildly in 2nd. Up in the Highlands I'm looking for decent grip and little aquaplaning so they may be worth a punt. You'd have to be stupid to push it up here or you may well be come a spirit never mind spirited driving. We've had a little snow already, not much but enough to get my thinking.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

. Good review shark, I'm a little 1.2 105 so no great power but I have Mitchell's on atm and in the wet will just spin wildly in 2nd. Up in the Highlands I'm looking for decent grip and little aquaplaning so they may be worth a punt. You'd have to be stupid to push it up here or you may well be come a spirit never mind spirited driving. We've had a little snow already, not much but enough to get my thinking.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think they are a good choice to prevent having to switch from summers to winters, should do the job in the highlands ;)

Cheers for the heads up,

Ordered a pair to put on the Front in 215's.

Current M+S will go to the rear and Pirelli Zero Nero on rear will be retired until next year.

(oddly rear passenger tyre came up on TPMS and when i looked it was at 22psi,  cant see any problem for loss of air, 

but i will check it closer when the wheels off tomorrow. its a little icy, slippy, wet and horrible right now.)

• Like 1

Define what 'Problem' means please,

does it mean you get every place you need safely in all weather and road conditions, driving to the conditions,

good traction, braking and steering and are happy with the tyres you use?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/259748-toyo-t1rs-prepare-to-be-unimpressed

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

By "not having a problem" I mean using the same tyres all year round with no issues, good traction, durability etc

I've used Toyos all year round for many years now, currently on my monte and also for the 6yrs I had my mk1 vrs!

I live at the bottom of hartside pass so winter weather can be interesting to say the least, on many occasions the roads don't even get gritted!

I drive to the road conditions not like a complete maniac!

I've been driving for many years now and for me personally I've never found the need to change to winter tyres but if some people feel safer for doing so then I'm not one to argue.

• Like 1

Keith

Keith

Standard Monte tyres are of course 205/40/17 my possible change being to 205/45/17 just regular tyres

not summer winter tyres.

SORRY FOR THE TYPO MISTAKE.

Keith

• Like 1