Superb Problems - Lights Warning Buzzer and Cruise Control

Hi All

1.9 TDI 2005 Superb Elegance 

Got 2 problems with my much loved Superb and was hoping i could get help some help from a fellow briskodian. 

1. Warning Lights Buzzer no longer works when lights left on and car sometimes locks itself after being unlocked. I have searched the forum and pretty sure i need to replace the door lock micro switch. If someone can link the part i need i will order one.

2. Cruise Control no longer works at all. I am not sure why but have searched forum. my only guess is some sort of faulty brake switch.

I am not sure i have the necessary skills to fix these problems on my own and wondered if there are any Experts in my area who would be willing to help for a fee. Would much rather pay a fellow briskodian than waste money at a dealership or garage who would spend hours finding the faults.

I live in Stamford in Lincolnshire and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bill

This is the door lock:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-S-F-Driver-Side-Door-Lock-Mechanism-VW-Golf-Mk4-Seat-Arosa-Leon-8pins-/221893148123?fits=Model%3APassat&hash=item33a9dcbddb:g:OWwAAOSwpdpVbZD1

Have a little internet search to get an idea of how it's done. Searching "Passat front door lock replacement" will give you more hits.  This, for example..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ortb6EjdFyo

Haven't a clue about the cruise control.

Edited by Tdi1.9

Hi All

1.9 TDI 2005 Superb Elegance 

Got 2 problems with my much loved Superb and was hoping i could get help some help from a fellow briskodian. 

1. Warning Lights Buzzer no longer works when lights left on and car sometimes locks itself after being unlocked. I have searched the forum and pretty sure i need to replace the door lock micro switch. If someone can link the part i need i will order one.

2. Cruise Control no longer works at all. I am not sure why but have searched forum. my only guess is some sort of faulty brake switch.

I am not sure i have the necessary skills to fix these problems on my own and wondered if there are any Experts in my area who would be willing to help for a fee. Would much rather pay a fellow briskodian than waste money at a dealership or garage who would spend hours finding the faults.

I live in Stamford in Lincolnshire and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bill

Sounds like the microswitch in the door has failed :-

>Re light buzzer - ECU not aware the car door is opened

>Re locking again - Its normal for the car to re-lock after unlocking if no doors are opened - again ECU not aware the car door has been opened

Fix this first and you may or may not find the cruise control springs into life (ie may not work under certain circumstances - especially if ECU confused)

Drivers door opening also does other things such as priming fuel pumps ready for action

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Bought the part and its solved the light warning light buzzer and interior light. MANY MANY THANKS  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Problems to resolve...

1. Cruise Control not Working

2. Drivers Seat Electrics not working.

3. Error Message on Maxidot "Workshop Emmissions" (Already Replaced EGR)

4. One of the central air vents is broken and wont close or open with the roll switch.

Any help would be appreciated

Mr W Lunn

Get it scanned instead of replacing parts :).  That the car is telling you "emissions workshop" means there is at least one code somewhere which will be relevant.  There is a map of members with VCDS who will scan it for you for a smile / beer token.  I'm in Norwich, if you're ever round here you're welcome to a scan.

Edited by jimbof

Hi 

Thanks for your comments

OBD code P0401 - EGR insufficient flow detected - Jabba sports looked into this and changed the EGR. This did not solve the problem.

Many Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'd get Jabba, who are well respected here, to check it again for the issue.

Re the Cruise. Occasionally our refuses to work and I've found that if you turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock three or four times, that seems to clean the contacts and it comes back to life. Worth a try anyway...

Cheers... Rob 

OBD code P0401 - EGR insufficient flow detected - Jabba sports looked into this and changed the EGR. This did not solve the problem.

Ah some more info.  Search for that fault code.  I spent a minute looking and there was a thread that looked useful relating to 1.9 octavias:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/242489-emissions-workshop-egr-insufficient-flow/

Hi Bill,

Re the Cruise. Occasionally our refuses to work and I've found that if you turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock three or four times, that seems to clean the contacts and it comes back to life. Worth a try anyway...

Cheers... Rob 

Thanks Rob

The Cruise Control is now fixed, its turns out i changed the indicator stalk a while back and the parking light on off switch now seems to operate the cruise control.

Ah some more info.  Search for that fault code.  I spent a minute looking and there was a thread that looked useful relating to 1.9 octavias:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/242489-emissions-workshop-egr-insufficient-flow/

I have searched all over the forums here and VW forums... I have had the warning message for nearly 3 years and cant notice performance issues it may be causing.

Jabba couldn't find anything either and say they could turn in off with computer, i do feel like the message wouldn't come on if there wasn't a problem. Will probably get them to do this next time it is in. I just wanted to know if any other member had come across this.....

Well, if it were my car I'd probably approach investigating it from the two angles that seem to make sense based on the info in that thread on the 1.9 Octavia:

1) EGR isn't behaving as expected

or

2) EGR is behaving as expected, but the computer doesn't know it (because it is sensing it wrong).

1) Could be a vacuum issue - the EGR on this car is vacuum actuated, so a problem with your vacuum would result in the EGR not working properly.  Or it could be an electronic problem with the device which diverts vacuum for the EGR.

2) Could be MAF sensor related - either the sensor itself or the wiring between the sensor and the ECU - this is how the engine gauges whether or not the MAF is working.

For them to "turn it off with the computer" I think effectively what they'd do is an ECU EGR delete, which seems a shame if you've just spent money on a new EGR...!

I don't have any personal experience of this problem though.

Well, if it were my car I'd probably approach investigating it from the two angles that seem to make sense based on the info in that thread on the 1.9 Octavia:

1) EGR isn't behaving as expected

or

2) EGR is behaving as expected, but the computer doesn't know it (because it is sensing it wrong).

1) Could be a vacuum issue - the EGR on this car is vacuum actuated, so a problem with your vacuum would result in the EGR not working properly.  Or it could be an electronic problem with the device which diverts vacuum for the EGR.

2) Could be MAF sensor related - either the sensor itself or the wiring between the sensor and the ECU - this is how the engine gauges whether or not the MAF is working.

For them to "turn it off with the computer" I think effectively what they'd do is an ECU EGR delete, which seems a shame if you've just spent money on a new EGR...!

I don't have any personal experience of this problem though.

Many Thanks for all the info.......

I am willing to take this a step at a time to see if i can resolve it. 

Do you have any suggestions of where i can start?

Mr W Lunn

Hi Bill,

Cheers... Rob 

Thanks Rob

The Cruise Control is now fixed, its turns out i changed the indicator stalk a while back and the parking light on off switch now seems to operate the cruise control.

Strangely, I thought my cruise control had packed up the other day, and then noticed that the left hand stalk has an ON - OFF switch on it. Never knew what it did, but it was in the OFF position, so turned it ON and immdiately the cruise control started working.

I haven't changed any stalks or anything ...... odd.

Strangely, I thought my cruise control had packed up the other day, and then noticed that the left hand stalk has an ON - OFF switch on it. Never knew what it did, but it was in the OFF position, so turned it ON and immdiately the cruise control started working.

I haven't changed any stalks or anything ...... odd.

In addition if the switch on the clutch or brake pedal assembly is faulty then the cruise control won't work - detects pedal being depressed to disengage cruise

Edited by bigjohn

• 5 months later...

Just a quick Update and some more advice needed.....

Replaced Door Lock and it with part from ebay thats was linked, it was a temporary fix as its now gone again, no warning lights buzzer. Do we think that part is faulty or its something else?

Drivers Electric seat not working??? any ideas?

Reveresing Sensors not working, has anyone got experience with the ebay £20 replacements...

Many Thanks

Edited by britishmeat