Skoda Fabia II, broken wires in hinge loom of drivers door

peteonimac

I'm very disappointed with our Skoda Fabia Greenline Mk2. It's not even 5 years old and the drivers side electrical loom wires are breaking near the door hinge connection. The alarm, wing mirror electrics and courtesy lights do not work from this door now. The courtesy switch also warns you that the door is not closed and that the lights are still on when leaving the car. Angela had a flat battery as a consequence and had to be rescued! Doors have had electrics in them for at least 50 years, this should not be happening in a modern car after only 5 years (60307 miles).

22594641913_61c104af22.jpgSkoda RH Door wires 22Nov15LR by Pete Mitchell, Scotland, on Flickr

I decide to replace the loom myself and a new modified loom from Skoda spares dealer costs about £88 inc P&P. Here is how I got on with the job:

1. Make sure the window is fully up to make access to the loom easier when the door card is off
  2. Prise rubber boot off the car hinge connection from the top and disconnect the loom by swinging the yellow plastic lock lever down, then pull the multi pin connector out
  3. Removed 2 small T10 star drive screws at bottom of trim card
  4. Prised off handle trim and removed two T35 star drive handle bolts
  5. Carefully prise off the door card at front and rear edges until the stud clips pop out (Replace if they break)
  6. Slightly pull out the card from the the door frame and at the same time push the whole card up to unhook from the top
  7. There are cables connected to the card that need to be disconnected before the card can be moved sufficiently away from the door to work on the loom
  8. You can leave the mechanical door release bowden cable attached to the card
  9. Drill off 6.5mm rivet heads and remove the door loud speaker to allow access to the loom at the hinge end
  10. Carefully pull off the soft foam cover over the door lock access aperture
  11. You can now disconnect the loom from all the door electrical components and pull off the loom anchor studs.
  12. To remove the loom through the door hinge aperture you first need to force the rubber boot from the inside via the speaker aperture by squeezing the top plastic lugs until one corner pops off. It might be easier to initially force it into the door if you don't have very strong fingers.
  13. Carefully ease the loom forward and out of the door, noting its routing around the window guide channel
  14. Fit new loom in reverse order. I found the easiest way of fitting the door end of the rubber boot, was to feed the whole boot end into the door, then push it forward into the aperture so that the rubber lips pop over the aperture edges to form the intended seal.
  15. Once you have connected everything,check that it all works before forcing the card trim studs back into their respective holes.

It took me about 1½ hours to do the job which is the same time the garage said it would take, which I find quite surprising considering I've never done this on the Skoda before.

Here are some photos:

Handle trim piece removed to access T35 bolts

23486723151_943198e2a4_b.jpgOS Door Handle trim 06Dec15 by Pete Mitchell, Scotland, on Flickr

General loom layout with door card off

23460624032_9cbbee20c3_b.jpgOS Door Card Off 06Dec15 by Pete Mitchell, Scotland, on Flickr

Loom removed, please note the speaker was removed to gain access to the loom at the hinge end of the door.

23460624902_83a74e4b70_b.jpgOS Door Access 06Dec15 by Pete Mitchell, Scotland, on Flickr

Edited by peteonimac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the trick in unplugging the cable from the car door piller ?   I think I may have this issue with my Roomster and I can't work out how you unplug from the door. I basically want a view of my door connector cables exactly as you have in your top photo.

Assistance in where you push and pull etc as it all seems very tight to me.

Aubrey,

If it is the same arrangement as my Skoda Fabia II, you'll need to prise off the rubber boot from the top and pull it back as per top photo, to reveal the loom wire. You will see that the yellow plastic lever is in the 12 o'clock position when you gain access to the connector. You need to force the top end of the lever towards the door, so that it swings to the 3 o'clock position (RH door). You can then disconnect it and follow the procedure I have listed to replace the wiring loom.

Good luck

Yes, the front of my Roomster is exactly the same. In fact I think from the drivers door forward a Roomster is a Fabia. It was that black plastic clip which is part of the rubber gaitor that I could not undo. I pushed down from above and it popped off. Unfortunately I broke the little black plastic clip on the gaiter. But yes I found 5 broken wires. I am an electronics engineer so soldering is not an issue for me but it is too tight in there to join the wires back together. I did think of taking the door panel off again and running some new cores through to the replace the broken ones. I can solder long lengths onto the plug side wires OK and I could join back on further along say behind the speaker.

But seeing I broke the gaiter clip I think I will just order a new loom and gaiter and replace them both as done job. I'll be ordering more of those press in door clips too as a couple of those broke when I took the door panel off. It seems all this stuff is meant to click together solid but hard to unclip again later.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't suppose anyone has the part number for the loom? Trying to get hold of one so I can replace mine. Only number I can find online is for the pre-facelift models 07-10.

I need one for a 1.2TSI Facelift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just had trouble with getting the correct loom on my roomster for this problem I would recommend that you pull your door card off and look at the part number on the white label attached to your current loom. You can't go wrong that way.

• Like 2

Ok so just for reference, here are a couple of part no's for the loom.

If you have a R/H Drive 1.2 TSI SE with Heated & adjustable mirrors, electric front windows the part no is 5J0 971 120 HG

If you also have electric rear windows in addition to the above the part no is 5J0 971 120 HH

My RH drive November 2007 1.9 TDI Roomster with 4 electric windows and heated+adjustable mirrors was the .BQ version. I was first sent the incorrect .AS version which has 2 connectors for the window motor, rest was fine, but my window motor needed a single different connector.

I stick by what I wrote "look at the part number on your current loom"

I think they made too many versions and the result is confusing.

Thanks FlapperJack that is really interesting. I've saved that link. So I can see the AS and BQ version and it now makes total sense why my Nov 07 build would of been hard to pin down. But what is the EC version, that has no date ?

Hi I have the same problem but I have removed the wiring harness in the drivers door and no wires are broken.

I have already replace the door switch with a new genuine one.

Interior light stats on and the key fob doesn't

lock the car.

Mine is a 2010 fabia 1.4 tdi

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just repaired the wires in my door, you will find it easier to completely remove the rubber boot. To remove the rubber from the door I found it much easier to push the rubber into the door. The boot is held in place with electrical insulation tape, and a Tyrap. To refit manoeuvre the rubber through the rectangle in the door, then just push it into place, you will need to remove the speaker to do this. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have a 2010 1.6 Fabia estate with window issues on the drivers side. Followed this & other threads. Diagnosis was fairly straightforward having read other folks problems with broken wires inside the rubber boot.

I did check the switch first as the passenger window was working on its own switch but not on the drivers side switch. Yes speaker removal is good to make removal of the entire loom somewhat easier.

There's four broken wires inside the boot & nearly all the others have splits in showing the copper core.

Dilemma..........to repair, resulting in a mish-mush of wires, japanese bulet connectors & other associated future problems. after all this has lasted a decade until now.

Solution was to take the part number from said loom, call Skoda UK & buy a new loom which should last another ten years! This should arrive by Wednesday next week on a 3 day delivery from Skodas main warehouse.

Fit & forget.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I've just done the driver's side of my Fabia 2 at 100k miles. I pulled the gaiter into the door as described above and fixed it thru the speaker hole. In my view (you may not agree) the stock loom overly restrains the cables though the gaiter, so they are both pulled and forced to bend hard as the door moves. I removed the insulation tape and the loom tape loop right by the connector and sleeved the wire in the door with polythene with gaffer tape over the outside, to prevent chafing but allow the wires to move unrestrained.  Will see how it goes, but imho strapping the bundle in tight with tape and a zip tie is the wrong way to do it, as is demonstrated by the fact they keep snapping.

• 4 months later...

A quick question for anyone who has done this repair. If you remove the rivets from the speaker, when you come to mount the speaker again do you replace the rivets or can you reattach it using something easier to remove next time, like self tapping screws? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I pop-riveted it back. Self tappers would probably work, you may have to use those slide on self tapper back pieces for the screws to grab to. You need a pop-rivet gun with a long thin end as it's a tight angle to get in on.

IMG_20151226_130301.jpg

Edited by aubrey
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have got to repace my loom soon, the passenger side window does not work of the switch on the drivers side, on investigation I have found the wires are broken in the door rubber boot part. My loom has the part number 5J0.971.120.BL on it, I have seen new replacement on SKODA PARTS DIRECT for a little over £90 that has the same part number but ends in HG not BL would this be ok? is this the modified loom? my fabia is the mk2 1.9 tdi 2010....Also could somebody tell me what size rivets I would need to refit the speaker if I have a crack at this repair?

I find this site pretty useful for listing part number equivalences, in (often multiple) boxes to the right of where it says Skoda part number. No such alternatives shown for your number:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5j0971120bl-electrical-wiring-installation-bundle-for-diver-s-door-21827.html