Kenwood Satnav Owners Club

fabiagn

On 02/06/2019 at 13:22, Rustynuts said:

How about you spend £12 of that on Freedom membership, given that sales on the forum are reserved for those who are Freedom members.

Sorry, remove the post if its against the rules.

Well it was against the rules and clearly you're aware of them or you'd have posted in the sales forum (oh wait, you can't because you're not a Freedom member which is why you posted in here instead).

I can't remove the post, it's not my place. And removing the post would serve nothing as it's clear that it served its purpose. But I still think a donation to the sites running costs would be appropriate. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm currently at firmware v2.2. The current version is v2.8 (https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=9255). Has anybody got this version, does it have any improvements and does it still read unlocked maps? Traffic info (TMC) has also recently stopped working so I would love to know whether the later version of the firmware helps :-) 

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance

NBB

• 2 months later...

Hello friends.
The story I have put a navigation system kenwood Garmin Satnav GVN60 / VWMIB1 in my GOLF VII, which has some maps of 2015 and I wanted to update but I have no clue how to do it and what structure files would have the SD card the last updated maps indicated by the manufacturer On its page are the City Navigator® Europe NTU 2019-Kenwood MSD could you help create an SD with which you can update the maps that the device has now.
Many thanks in advance, greetings and forgive for my English I am Spanish

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Philbill.
Thanks for your information I have installed the NTU 2020.10 map on the card and everything perfect now I am looking for some forums, such as installing poi and radars and I have a doubt if the POI folder I have to put it in the sd or in the internal drive any idea?
Thanks in advance and greetings

• 4 months later...

Coming to this topic a bit late. We bought a July 2018 Fabia 3 in May 2019. Apart from a couple of spooky 'satellite reception lost' voice messages that we had no idea where they came from, we didn't know about this system. Fast forward to this week, and our car was at the dealers (different one from purchase) because the screen kept going blank when on radio. They told us that they were having difficulty diagnosing the problem because of the aftersales installed satnav. We did seem a bit dim to them as it took us a while to realise they were telling us that it had this system fitted. Pressed and held the media button and lo and behold! At least it explains the spooky voices.

What's even more odd is that the blank screen that occurred on every journey after around 30 minutes, didn'y happen at all today in several hours of travelling and I suspect having excercised the nav box for the first time in a year might be why. Anyone know if the screen interface box has a relay to switch the LVDS between the cars radio module and the GVN60 module?

Will be digging sometime to find out where it's fitted and see if I can update the maps.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm having a problem transferring all the updates from "Kenwood SD28E EU NTU 2018.20" to sd card. I have already updated the firmware to Garmin's latest version on this GVN60 unit but it's not seeing the card once plugged. I'm not great on computers but the firmware update was pretty simple to follow but not with the map updates. Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - just trying to follow @BeckiKeiko's excellent guide above.

I've removed the screw on the centre console panel in the passenger footwell and can physically bend the panel back to feel underneath it and have found what I believe is the SatNav (see awkwardly taken photograph which from Googling appears to be the GVN60). 

However, unlike a few other commenters (e.g. @Charliesbus) mine doesn't simply drop down when I bend out the panel - the wires attached are too short. Any advice for getting the SatNav out? I'm trying to find the SD card slot to update firmware + maps and have tried finding it with my hand by pulling on the sides of the unit as @BeckiKeiko said but haven't been successful.

Any and all advice very much appreciated.IMG_5109.thumb.jpg.52d5c20750625362b9b0e20de35d893c.jpg

I don't think that box is the Nav unit. There are two boxes in the system, the Nav unit and the video interface. I think I can see the LVDS connectors for the video signal top left (pink and white) so that means it's the video interface. The SD card slot is on the nav unit itself I believe (I've still not found ours).

I'm sure I'll find it. The main issue is that when I have time to look, the car isn't here (my wife uses it more than I do).

Anyhow, I've done some searching and the box you found is the video interface. The satnav unit has little mounting feet. Here's a photo I found that shows all the units connected together. As they were dealer fitted, each one will depend on who fitted it. You could follow the bunch of wires coming out of the left connector on the box you found (upper centre in the photo), as they go to the satnav box (lower left box).

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 13.02.44.png

Edited by lowedb

Thanks for the reply again - I think I've found the correct bit (bottom left of photo).

Is anyone able to explain how to open it? The device is wedged into the space behind the usb plug (accessed just below the infotainment unit). I'm fairly sure I've got the left-hand side of the device as shown on the photo below (oriented top down in my car). 

It appears that (in the picture) the sd slot will be on the left side within what looks like a little door that will pivot upwards - is that correct? I'm basically trying to open it in situ so very tricky to manage so want to be sure I'm pushing and prying in the correct direction before breaking it!

s-l1600-2.jpg

Good news - managed to prise open the Nav unit that's lodged behind my USB / cigarette lighter ports - you have to squeeze the edges of the unit to open the little compartment where the SD card lives. Got the SD card in after that and successfully updated the firmware - happy to provide details if anyone wants more info.

Next question: does anyone know where the 2019 maps can be had? There's an uploaded.net link above - and I was happy getting a 48 hour premium account but when I tried to sign up (which required my phone number) it said my chosen payment method (credit card) wasn't allowed (it told me this in German)! Anyone know of any alternatives or have gotten around this issue?

I found a seller on ebay who was selling an SD card with the maps. However I suspect they weren't supposed to be selling them.

Successful GVN60 firmware and maps update guide

Thought I'd give something back to this very helpful forum; it took a day but I managed to update my GVN60 successfully today (mostly with info pieced together from here). 

Finding the SatNav

I cannot pretend this will be comprehensive as where the SatNav itself is located depends on how your dealer / garage installed it. But I will give some tips that helped me find mine.

1. The SatNav unit is actually two bits of hardware linked by wires - I found the below photo helpful to know what was what. The bit at the top is the video unit; the bit on the bottom left of the photo is what you need to find - it contains the all-important SD card slot.
  2. I first removed a T20 screw on the panel on the centre console in the passenger side footwell (if you sit in the passenger seat - it'll be to the right of your right shin).
  3. This allowed me to pull back (slightly) the plastic trim; some people have had the SatNav unit fall down from behind this. So the unit could be here.
  4. Mine wasn't - but I did find the video unit. I couldn't pull it out but could identify it by touch. I felt where the wires were going and worked out that the SatNav unit itself was actually behind the USB / cigarette lighter panel.
  5. You can pull this panel off (from just below the climate control buttons) - press your thumbs outwards on this panel (just to the left / right of the USB port / lighter bit) and quite firmly pull down. It's a bit stiff but I did it multiple times and didn't break it!
  6. I could just see the top of the SatNav unit poking up from further down in the centre console. I could just get my hands behind where the USB port was and feel the top of the unit; luckily the unit was the correct way around to allow me to access the SD card.
  7. To access the SD card slot, I squeezed the sides of the top of the unit I had access to and popped open the door.
  8. I then felt with my fingers and (hallelujah) could feel the SD card slot. 

Next step; update firmware.

Getting the firmware onto your SatNav

1. Get a standard size 16 GB SD card and have an SD card reader (I have a Mac so that made it easier as older ones have them built in).
  2. Format it to FAT32
  3. Download the 2.90 firmware update from this website. This will give you a file called: GVN60_KWEU_290.exe in your downloads.
  4. Next step - now I had a BIG problem at this step because I don't have a Windows computer. Either find someone who does or use a virtual machine with Windows installed on it (I had set one up for my PhD but otherwise wouldn't have had a clue how to do this). 
  5. Once you're on a Windows machine, double click the above executable. Click 'Run' then 'Extract' and you'll get a file called GUPDATE.GCD.
  6. Put this file into a new folder called 'Garmin' on your otherwise blank SD card.
  7. Turn your car off, get access to the GVN60 SD slot, put the SD card into the device, close it all up, put the panels pack in place and turn the car on. 
  8. My SatNav software started immediately and was clearly doing something different - it took a few minutes but eventually seemed to be done and opened into the usual first screen. If you navigate through settings to the about section you should see that your software is now 2.90.

Getting the maps onto your SatNav

1. The key thing to this is to get hold of the maps. Now there are a lot of links on this site to a website called "Uploader.net". This website offers ludicrously slow downloads and you basically have to pay about 6 euros for 48 hours access. Problem was, the whole website was in German for me and I gave up trying to make it work.
  2. Luckily I eventually found an alternative link that is free and actually worked for me. Navigate to this website 
  3. Navigate to the adamramzes post. This user has left 7 "dosyaupload.com" links to 2019 maps. Note you must create a gpsurl account to actually see the links but they do appear once you've done that.
  4. Navigate to all 7 links and download - this website offers no limits and fantastic speeds so you'll have all about 10 GB in about half an hour.
  5. Once you've got all the links, open an extractor programme. On Mac I used 'The Unarchiver' available on the Mac App Store (I think Windows users can use WinRAR which has an unlimited free trial version). Open all 7 files you've just downloaded simultaneously within the extractor software - it should combine them all and create a single file called 'Kenwood_NTU_2019.30_EU'
  6. Within this file you'll find autorun.inf and a folder called Garmin.
  7. Take the SD card - delete the Garmin folder there (as you've already updated the firmware). Then drag autorun.inf directly into the root SD card folder (i.e. not within any folders on the SD card) and then drag the Garmin folder onto the SD card as well - it'll take a while (the whole lot is 10.14GB in total).
  8. Lastly, re-insert this into your SatNav unit; you have to keep the SD card there as it reads the maps off of the card. You should be able to see the 2019 maps within your "My maps" section of the settings.

Hope this helps someone who, like me, almost went mad trying to do this! 

1030496520_Screenshot2020-07-07at13_02_44.png.5e88214b02b101b2e5a540c78272b621.png

Just a couple of additions to AlastairHeff's excellent guide: if you have a Mac, you can also use the app "The Unarchiver" he mentioned to extract the GUPDATE.GCD file, no need for Windows!

Also, you can find the most up-to-date map files (2020.30) here: https://www.navitotal.com/new-maps/city-navigator-europe-ntu-2020-fid-8360-t21582.html . Allegedly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, colleagues, I have a GVN60 mounted on a golf 7 from 2014, very happy with both the car and the GPS module, the fact is that the device has been updated with the new City Navigator Europe NT (Unicode) 2021.10 map. the unit reads it perfectly but although the GVN60 module says it reads road signs and real JCV view I have not been able to see it in any of the different map versions that I have installed. Does anyone of you have it installed and working? Thank you for your answers to my problem. Sorry for my English. I am Spanish. Thank you again. a greeting

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know what is the difference between Garmin GVN-54, GVN-60 and GVN-60W?
I have a second question too. Has anybody the GVN-60's product specification documentation? I really need the 24 pin Garmin connector's pinout. I'd like to install this unit into another car. Without this I have no info about the video, touch screen signals. Only I know where I should connect the 12V

• 10 months later...

Is anyone still using their GVN60? I'm having a problem with mine, now: when the interface loads up, the message appears "Memory is full". If I okay that, the device loads okay, and shows my current position on the map without any problem. If, however, I try to plan a route, another message appears: "Cannot calculate the route", and this has (once) been followed by "Route memory is full". I've tried removing the various histories, and even reset from the menu, but no change. Garmin support say they only cover the maps themselves, and Kenwood don't have an answer, other than that it may be a hardware issue. I've looked at the device but there doesn't seem to be a reset button. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

Edited by macsmurf