Kenwood Satnav Owners Club

fabiagn

Its about an hours labour to fit.

But if you're a competant diyer you can do it.

Drop the glove box, connect some cables, fit the gps and tmc antennas. Job done.

Does anyone know if the Kenwood GVN MIB1 works with Canton sound?

Ask Horton's on Ebay, ask a question.

Cant see why not. Canton is only different speakers and a subwoofer.

Ask Horton's on Ebay, ask a question.

Cant see why not. Canton is only different speakers and a subwoofer.

Thanks, I actually did already ask them, but after I bought the unit with them having seen this topic ☺ Did not think of having Canton as a problem until after I placed the order, and wrote them straight away. I just got an e-mail with a refund which was very nice of them, but I can only assume it is because Canton actually is a problem, since they did not really reply..

The thing is that Canton also has optical cabling to an external amplifier under the frontseat, so adding a navsat unit might not be that simple - I know that other 3rd party HUs do not work with Canton.

Does this unit have a map SD card or are they preinstalled?

Just got mine and there isn't an SD card in the slot??

Also anyone got the fitting instructions in PDF?

Mine didnt come with a card either, just an empty slot but it does have a set of maps (2015 i think) pre installed as default.

I've managed to install latest updated maps on mine using an SD card but the card needs to be left in. If you remove the card it will default back to the base factory 2015 maps.

• Like 1

Mine didnt come with a card either, just an empty slot but it does have a set of maps (2015 i think) pre installed as default.

I've managed to install latest updated maps on mine using an SD card but the card needs to be left in. If you remove the card it will default back to the base factory 2015 maps.

Thanks for confirming. Horton Skoda have also confirmed the maps are preloaded, the SD slot is just for updates.

All fitted and activated the free lifetime TMC today. Worked after a couple of miles and got traffic reports on screen.

TMC aerial is fitted around passenger door seal as the guide says. Seems to work fine.

Has anyone got a link for instructions for fitting to the fabia 3,thanks

Just message Matt at Horton Skoda through the Ebay item.

He sent me the PDF instructions for the Octavia. Tell him your email address in the Ebay message.

Great.

Its not too hard to fit. Just give yourself plenty of time, some cable ties and elec tape can help also.

Can you post a link to the Fabia guide on here?

I just put it on my OneDrive and created a link.

• 1 month later...

According to Kenwood's website (https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/site/productUpdates) there are no map updates available for this unit (GVN60W): can I ask where you obtained yours from? And would it fit on an 8GB SD card?

According to Kenwood's website (https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/site/productUpdates) there are no map updates available for this unit (GVN60W): can I ask where you obtained yours from? And would it fit on an 8GB SD card?

The Kenwood website is very much out of date, for example there is no firmware update according to Kenwood for the GVN60. But Garmin have one from mid last year (version 2.60)

I dont recall where i bought them from as it was a while back and they were unused hence why they are not the latest. They are however the City Navigator NT maps copied onto an SD card in the garmin folder on an SD card. 8GB will be large enough.

• Like 1

They are however the City Navigator NT maps copied onto an SD card in the garmin folder on an SD card. 8GB will be large enough.

Thanks, that's useful info. Did you lose any of the original functionality of the built-in maps, e.g. Lane Guidance?

Thanks, that's useful info. Did you lose any of the original functionality of the built-in maps, e.g. Lane Guidance?

Nothing missing that i have noticed, including base POIs, lane instructions and also junction views are all still present.

• 5 months later...

Mine is the Kenwood GVN60 with Garmin Maps.  Recently a message came on the screen to say the Maps were out of date, then the Nav would not work.  After a week it began to work again but the Map Graphics did not look the same.  When I bought the car new I was told that updates could be downloaded on the internet, but both myself and the Dealership have now given up on that.  I've contacted Kenwood by email but they are unhelpful and they said go back to the dealer.  Now Kenwood will not answer my emails.  I've looked on the Garmin site and it says go to Kenwood, but Kenwood does not have any Maps to download on their site.  It's a very sad state of affairs that Kenwood take more than £500 for the upgrade, but then give such terrible service.  I've tried contacting them on their Facebook Page but although they sent a message that they would get back to me they haven't.

This my last email to Kenwood, but no reply from them.

I’m absolutely perplexed by my situation and am now very regretting having bought your device.  May I take you you through my predicament.

1.  The Navigation stopped to say my maps are out of date and then stopped working for about a week. 

2. When it commenced to work again the appearance of the maps looked to be different.   Every now and again I get a message which says my maps are out of date and to go to Garmin.com.

3.  When I go to Garmin.com it says for maps go to Kenwood.com.  When I do this it says there are no map updates available.

4.  It says I need to update the software first, but when I download what it says is the appropriate software my GVN60 fails to recognise it. 

4.  I contacted you by email and you say go back to the dealer who sold you the car and Kenwood upgrade.

5.  They are as perplexed as I am and have tried to obtain advice from you but you fob them off.

6.  I now have a extremely expensive Kenwood device which does not function properly, but am unable to gain any interest from Kenwood to resolve the problem. 

7.  May I say that your instructions on downloading and installing new device software does not work and needed to tested by the author with a inexperienced user before presenting it to the public. 

I hope you can be more helpful. 
Edited by petdeb

Who told you the map updates were free to download? It appears that the maps are to buy on SD Card. As regards updating the software, check the software level on the unit as it is, because if you have the latest updated software then it can't update it. Current version is GVN60, KW EU software version 2.60

Edited by Rustynuts