I aint going first....

so, basically, they will reduce the airflow into the engine (what!) and tinker with the diesel flow rates....

i can see where this is heading

105PS down to 90PS and 60mpg will become 45mpg

why not INCREASE the air flow intake, sod the EGR and DPF, and remap it to 125PS

• Like 3

The paper should be recycled, not burnt or sent to landfill.

How can we help VAG protect the environment if you are also so irresponsible?

(I'm using mine for bog paper)!

Bit harsh, isn't it? Reminds me of Bronco and San Izal!

• Like 3

I got my first letter about a month ago. And I've just had another letter telling me that they hadn't forgot about me and for me to be patient while they work on a solution.

I thinking don't worry, no rush. you won't be touching my car it's running just fine. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Zorst/Ken

No intention of having my engines performance ruined either.

Also have no intention of allowing my car any where near blade group ever again.

if I am legally forced to have the upgrade (haha) it will be a very long trip to the forest of dean or oxford.

I'm convinced the modifications in ANY form will have a detrimental effect on MPG and/or performance...

If the mods were going to make mpg/performance in anyway better, VAG would have designed it that way to start with!

VAG have had to cheat on emmisions so as to NOT compromise mpg/performance as its mpg/performance that sells the car...

Mine is not being modified!

• Like 1

@ Googolplex - I agree, will be done by stealth at some point

OR - don't have the update - lose your warranty

I was hoping that someone would have started a 'class action' against the VW group

I don't want a vehicle that performs worse or is worth less due to the publics perceived image of VW/Skoda cars

I bought mine through a dealership - I would like more facts on the effects of the update and to have the option of returning the vehicle or compensation, should the residuals take a nose dive

Chris

If we take our car to the main dealer for servicing, surely they'll do this modification whether we like it or not.

Good point. If I specify I do not want this applied to my car when it goes in for servicing can they still go ahead and do it anyway?

I want Skoda to say how this will affect my car (performance vs. mpg) and if it is detrimental I will expect compensation  :(

it is certain to be a no choice "upgrade" whenever connected to the VAG computer.

Thank god mine is out of warranty, I have just bought vcds as a result of this so hopefully my car will not need to be connected to VAG ever again.

Yep - I think that is the crux of the matter, will mods detrimentally affect performance / consumption. If so then I'm sure some one with deep pockets will start an action of some sort.

If on the other hand the performance stays the same then all is good.

We just need more info - hard numbers about whats going to happen to the performance of our engines before we visit the dealers.

I make the assumption of course that we can rely on any new performance data given to us by the VW group :'(

so, basically, they will reduce the airflow into the engine (what!) and tinker with the diesel flow rates....

i can see where this is heading

105PS down to 90PS and 60mpg will become 45mpg

why not INCREASE the air flow intake, sod the EGR and DPF, and remap it to 125PS

I presume you are referring to this component:

DB2015AU01434_small.JPG-610x406.jpg

Do you know what is actually doing and why it is there? It is not there to reduce flow; it won't make any appreciable difference to the total airflow into the engine. 

A flow straighter / transformer is there to do several things:

• turn turbulent flow into laminar flow
  • Reducing swirl and eddies around the intake system
  • Reduce noise levels (not important in this instance)

The idea is that this will sit the inlet side of the MAF and straighten the flow of air. This will allow the MAF to provide a more consistent and accuate measurement. This should allow the ECU to make a better decision and provide better results. 

We have used these at work on our latest product and it has made a massive difference. We had a problem where we had excessive noise and cooling issues where we had a 172MM fan hard against a metal framework. Our cooling expert researched and used a combination flow straightener and Papst FlowGrid design (http://www.ebmpapst.com/en/products/product-news/flowgrid/flowgrid.html). This reduced noise levels by nearly 9dB, improved cooling distribution, lowered overall test temperatures and reduced dynamic contribution from airflow. 

By improving the measurement windows it could in theory improve performance (either fuel or HP)

• Like 3

I presume you are referring to this component:

DB2015AU01434_small.JPG-610x406.jpg

Do you know what is actually doing and why it is there? It is not there to reduce flow; it won't make any appreciable difference to the total airflow into the engine. 

A flow straighter / transformer is there to do several things:

• turn turbulent flow into laminar flow
  • Reducing swirl and eddies around the intake system
  • Reduce noise levels (not important in this instance)

The idea is that this will sit the inlet side of the MAF and straighten the flow of air. This will allow the MAF to provide a more consistent and accuate measurement. This should allow the ECU to make a better decision and provide better results. 

We have used these at work on our latest product and it has made a massive difference. We had a problem where we had excessive noise and cooling issues where we had a 172MM fan hard against a metal framework. Our cooling expert researched and used a combination flow straightener and Papst FlowGrid design (http://www.ebmpapst.com/en/products/product-news/flowgrid/flowgrid.html). This reduced noise levels by nearly 9dB, improved cooling distribution, lowered overall test temperatures and reduced dynamic contribution from airflow. 

By improving the measurement windows it could in theory improve performance (either fuel or HP)

Link goes to an industrial heating website, cant see a Skoda anywhere

• Like 1