Theft of Columbus

It's advisable to check if your insurance has a limit on the payout for audio equipment in the car.  Mine's limited to £500, so if Columbus was stolen, I'd be a lot out of pocket to replace it with a new one. 

I'm not too worried about it when I'm at home or work as we're lucky to be in a low risk area, but there's more chance of something happening when I'm away on holiday in the car.

As what Penpusher said,Best check your insurance policy re columbus claims,i would suspect this would need to be replaced by a dealer,so the dealer will add a few more ££'s

Security cover    https://www.procartuning.eu/navilock-skoda-octavia-1z0-incl-inbouw.html

Edited by james0james

As what Penpusher said,Best check your insurance policy re columbus claims,i would suspect this would need to be replaced by a dealer,so the dealer will add a few more ££'s

Security cover    https://www.procartuning.eu/navilock-skoda-octavia-1z0-incl-inbouw.html

That's a good idea but there is no way I'm having those 4 posts sticking out of my dashboard

Surely that would be a £500 limit on aftermarket audio equipment?

You're correct - stupid me!  I quickly glanced at the policy and going back and looking propertly, it says there's unlimited cover for audio and navigation equipment fitted as standard.

You're never alone with old age!

Hi Live in W. Yorks near Bradford and also had someone trying to nick my Columus. I caught them at it, 1 scum bag in the passanger side window carefully taking out the unit while the other two on look out, with possibly another in a car for a quick get away. Only managed to shout from the bedroom window but it moved them off.

Rang the plod, who pretty much did nothing.

I also though these things where meant to be hard to nick, but I suppose car manufacturers would not make any money then. The real pain is getting rid of all the glass.

I wont buy another car with sat nav integrated again.

Integrated sat navs are not a problem when they are installed from behind the dash. The installation of the Columbus is like something from the 80s and has no place in a 21st Century car. Skoda should be ashamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Integrated sat navs are not a problem when they are installed from behind the dash. The installation of the Columbus is like something from the 80s and has no place in a 21st Century car. Skoda should be ashamed.

I must admit I was amased when I saw how easy it was to remove a thought the same, I thought this level of poor design was resigned to the 1980s.

Having a bit more of a rant, this car is the newest I have had for a good few years. I am amazed at the complexity of the design these days. Changing bulbs is a task.

Thatcham Category 1 – electronic alarm and immobiliser

Systems that fall into this class are the cleverest and most complex on the market. A Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and will incorporate movement or glass break and tilt sensors. There’ll also be a siren powered by its own battery supply that will sound if your car gets broken into.

Immobilisers are also a requirement to pass Category 1 tests and have to be passively set – that means without any action from the driver – while a minimum of two operating systems or one control unit used for normal operation must be isolated.

Thatcham Category 2 – electronic immobiliser

Alarms are not a requirement to be awarded Category 2 Thatcham security status. However, an immobiliser is.

Just like Category 1 systems, a Category 2 device has to isolate at least two circuits or systems, or one vehicle control unit that’s required for the car to run properly. Again, it has to be passively set.

Thatcham Category 2/1 – electronic alarm upgrade

This Category is achieved if upgrade work is carried out on a Category 2 vehicle.

As long as the car has Category 2 security status, adding an alarm with the above facets from Category 1, the car can be upgraded to group 2/1, potentially lowering your vehicle insurance premiums.

Thatcham Category 3 – mechanical immobiliser

Unlike the Categories above, Category 3 immobilisation devices are mechanical, not electric. This means they are physical devices that disrupt how a car operates.

They are generally easy to set and unset, with the rules stating that they have to isolate a minimum of one operating system required for vehicle use. They can be permanently or temporarily installed. Category 3 devices include steering wheel and gear lever locks.

is the security in need of an upgrade?

what triggers the alarms, voltage drop/door switches only?

is the security system the same in all levels of trim from C to L&K?

If they are inside the car the alarm should be going off as it has interior sensors

Edited by SuperbTWM

I too will give Skoda full credit for a successful alarm. However, the first time they were in and out with the unit in 20 seconds! I think I'd like to see more effort put into prevention.

I too will give Skoda full credit for a successful alarm. However, the first time they were in and out with the unit in 20 seconds! I think I'd like to see more effort put into prevention.

Well to be fair to Skoda the Columbus in the Superb 2 was actually the Harmon Becker/Blaupunkt VW RNS-510 that premiered in 2006 in the A5 platform and possibly earlier in other platforms.  So it's not exactly modern tech.  It's had a few updates but they've been mostly around the edges, e.g. bigger HDD (although it's still PATA), LED instead of CFL backlight but still a resistive touch screen and a software update to allow SD-HC.

The Columbus in the current MQB platform (i.e. Superb 3) has a separate screen and head unit (the head unit is in the glovebox and has no visible screws) so it'd be a bit more difficult to steal, and probably has more advanced electronic theft protection too if for no other reason than to try to stop people hacking* it.  Not that that will actually stop them being hacked.  Physical access here trumps all electronic prevention.

I guess security screws wouldn't hurt but if it's a targeted theft then the thief will have the correct tool anyway.  Failing that an 18V reciprocating saw will get most parts out of a car quickly.

* Hacking in the traditional sense where it actually meant making things do more than they were designed to.  Not hacking in the current media hype sense where it means OMG WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN which was traditionally called cracking.

so....

1. stop em getting in the car

2. make any intrusion very obvious

3. make removal harder

4. make theft of the item leaving them "dyed" (and the unit)

5. mark the unit by engraving and u/v marker pen

6. fit CCTV to record events

if i had one nicked .....all the above