Theft of Columbus

Question Please.

I have the Amundsen unit .. Are the fixing screws the same as the Columbus. Im thinking of getting some Torx screws. Thanks  Kirkie...

Torx screws are what's already used to hold the Columbus in. I got these instead: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261757676903 - even with a pretty impressive range of drivers in my collection, I could only open 3 out of 4 with what I had and one of the three happened to fit but wasn't designed for that bolt.

• Like 1

Araldite the ****er in then :D

This is what I am going to do

As regards to the torx heads just fill them with araldite then if you need them out you could drill with a 3mm drill then use a pick to get the rest out....

On it the now :nerd: 

fake radio front?

car+stereo+faceplate+revealed.jpg

Great idea!!!  If only someone would produce a convincing looking naff radio/cassette player front, which could be discretely attached to the columbus screen with suckers or something.

Dave

Great idea!!!  If only someone would produce a convincing looking naff radio/cassette player front, which could be discretely attached to the columbus screen with suckers or something.

Dave

Found one!  I'll order it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECURITY-DUMMY-FAKE-COVER-FOR-DOUBLE-2-DIN-CAR-STEREO-RADIO-DVD-CD-PLAYER-XTRONS-/331054711900

Dave

Searched earlier and found that one, It fits on by a suction cup you stick on to your Columbus screen apparently. Please give feedback when it arrives.

• Like 1

I'm a bit apprehensive that a suction cup fixing on the touchscreen will end badly for the touchscreen. Okay, not when you're fixing it on, but when you come to pull it off there'll be a very loose digitiser in no time at all.

Edit: will this also cover the Columbus buttons, or does it just cover the screen I wonder?

Edited by Rustynuts
  • Like 1

I'm a bit apprehensive that a suction cup fixing on the touchscreen will end badly for the touchscreen. Okay, not when you're fixing it on, but when you come to pull it off there'll be a very loose digitiser in no time at all.

Edit: will this also cover the Columbus buttons, or does it just cover the screen I wonder?

Fair points but I'm happy to give it a shot for the sake of the modest cost in the hope that it might put off the opportunist thief. I don't doubt that the real "pros" will not be fooled though.

I take your point about the touchscreen - I may look at alternative methods of attaching it - maybe tiny velcro pads in the corners, attached to the Columbus surround???. . Will see how it goes.

Thanks for your views.

Dave

It might not be too bad as you just unscrew the volume knob to decrease the suction on the suction cup.

If its anything like a sat nav though you will need to wet the suction pad if you want any chance of it staying attached and this will leave a nice mess on the screen

Apart from the fact the O2, S2 and Yeti radios are not a std double DIN... they are a different shape!

Oh dear, I didn't know that! Perhaps I can modify the fake front to look sort of convincing. As I said above, it won't fool the "pro" thief but, hopefully will deter the opportunist. I think it's worth a shot - will let the forum know how I get on.

Dave

Searched earlier and found that one, It fits on by a suction cup you stick on to your Columbus screen apparently. Please give feedback when it arrives.

Will do!

Dave

Will do!

Dave

It's arrived! Doesn't fit though!!! Doh!!!

However I think I can modify it a bit and perhaps solve the problem.

Will let you know how I get on.

Dave

Firstly, that sucks that happened. There are not too many things that make me madder that people who would rather steal what you have than working to get their own.

The shame is, there is almost nothing to you are allowed to do about it.

Taser system? Nope.. Illegal. I guess you are allowed to shout at them or yell at them, but physically stopping them I guess will land you in jail. Makes me crazy!

Anyhow, I don't see how anyone can fault skoda for that. It is the normal VW design, used is every single VW and Skoda as well as earlier audis before the completely integrated systems.

Of course, the new MIB2 units are different. They have a screen and separate unit elsewhere, so it is much more of a pain to take.

Personally, I would rather not need to Columbus. I find it to be a horrible unit.

Not the worst in the industry of course, but still.. ridiculously bad given the state of computers and tablets these days.

Eventually units will android auto and apple car play will replace these units and thank God for that. In my Defender I fitted a double unit with Android auto. It was massively better than my Supers Columbus unit. So much faster, better sound and navigation which actually looked at traffic conditions in real time. Not to mentions I could push a button and say, navigate to the nearest hardware store. And it worked!

That unit was 1k. How can a Columbus cost 2.5K? The tech is 10 years old.

Pablomax

Skoda does have to take some responsibility in relation to these thefts. Ultimately it is the fault of the thief but we all have a responsibility to prevent this from happening. If we left our car purposely unlocked for instance, that would be irresponsible and we would be considered to have been a part of why the unit got stolen. Skoda are paid an awful lot of money for their product as a whole and so have joint responsibility to prevent crime. Theft of car stereos almost completely disappeared over the years because they became unique to a vehicle or too difficult to steal. Skoda have reversed this progress in their current design.

I have the bolero unit so not as appealing as the Columbus. However I had cause to need to remove it recently. £3 on eBay for the plastic trim tool, about 3 minutes of careful work and it was out. This is ridiculous. Yes it was great for me and what I needed to do but actually that was the one and only time in 20 plus years of car ownership that I have ever needed to remove a stereo. I would therefore rather have a secure unit.

Crime prevention is a joint agency approach here in the uk. Builders of new housing estates have to incorporate it into their street designs, car dealers should hold responsibility too and incorporate it into their vehicle designs.

In the UK we have the criminal law act and common which give us as civilians some powers in dealing with offenders but it is limited and stray outside the boundaries of that legislation and we find ourselves in the dock.

Hopefully Skoda will improve security in this area and hopefully my bolero will sit tight where it is.

Looking forward to hearing the conclusion of the fake panel fitting!

My car is back (after 3 weeks) after being broken into in Halifax. Everything is repaired. Now have the new style Columbus with the "TMC" button as opposed to the "Traffic" button. I prefer the old style personally, but that's by-the-by.

I notice that they've downgraded the firmware of the unit to what it would have been when originally installed on the car (I can see why they would do this for compatibility reasons), so I'll have to upgrade the firmware at some point to get various features back (postcode search, radio text, Bluetooth playback that works etc.) 

My thoughts now turn to prevention. I will get some of the security screws from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RNS-510-310-RCD-300-500-MFD2-security-screws-anti-theft-protection-VW-SEAT-SKODA-/261757676903)- I like the idea of 4 different screws to make it more difficult.

I have also bought one of these (design in reverse because it's going on the inside of a window) http://www.designwizard.creiton.com/projects.php?name=projects/kre_en/2016/03/30/0719254673750.jpg. I intend to stick it on the passenger side window (they always break in on the passenger side because there's more space to work).

I had to buy 4. Happy to post one of my spare 3 to anyone who wants one once they arrive. Hopefully it will act as some form of deterrent.

Any other suggestions (other than those already discussed above) welcome.

I was serious about my previous post

Fill the normal Torx hole with araldite and they will not be able to remove them in a hurry..

If you ever  have to remove for any reason its going to be a pain in the arse to get the araldite out but is possible drilling  it and using a pick.

Hopefully they will move on to the next victim and leave yours alone.

I am sure they are going prepared and have every security screwdriver possible  available to them they as they are doing this "for a living"

Dashcams front and rear boot mounted versions just the lenses showing so that they dont steal the bloody cameras as well

Look on technoan about it...Below

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3/1/k1s-the-first-front-rear-hidden-1080p-dash-camera.html

Or get a garage...

Edited by DEL80Y

It's arrived! Doesn't fit though!!! Doh!!!

However I think I can modify it a bit and perhaps solve the problem.

Will let you know how I get on.

Dave

I've had a go at modifying the fake front - it's tidy but it doesn't look too convincing. Back to the drawing board!!

Doh!!

Dave

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is obviously still going on as I had my Columbus nicked from an NCP in Bradford yesterday.

Oh no :( sorry to hear.. damm! barsturads! and the rest..

I was hoping that the stoplock  pro would be able to block access to the radio units if the steering lock was on to, anyone confirm that  it fits and is positionable to be effective in this way?

Edited by SkodaRick