Hatch opens randomly - any ideas

New Superb 280 L&K. Took delivery 4th December and all is great except the hatch will sometimes open of its own accord - not when driving, thankfully, but when parked, and sometimes overnight. Obviously not good so any ideas please?

It was occurring with mine too, regularly, but only at certain locations. It was giving me serious concerns regarding security.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but basically I narrowed my cause down to the KESSY fob being in my trouser pocket and the boot release button, which sits proud of the other two, was getting sufficiently pressed by the tightening material when I sat down.

The detection range is quite far so being sat in the lounge with the car parked in the driveway was close enough for the car to detect the key press, but far enough for me not to hear it opening if the TV was on.

Since moving the key to a side pocket (I usually wear cargo trousers), or simply taking the fob out, the problem has not recurred.

It was either move the fob or go on a diet. The former was easiest and the latter didn't seem much like fun!  :no:

• Like 3

I have had the same trouble, I keep the fob on it's own in my pocket also and have twice come out in the morning to see the tailgate open. No idea how long it had been open for!

I've also experienced this on two occassions, one when my wife had the key and one when I had it. I thought it may have been the virtual pedal detecting something it shouldn't so I have disable 'easy open' in the car settings. Hasn't happened again (yet) and I don't need the use of virtual pedal. I keep the key in my tracksuit bottoms and they are quite baggy. I can't see how the key fob button could have been accidentally pressed.

I thought it may have been the virtual pedal detecting something

I hadn't thought of that, we have a lot of wildlife roaming around here at night, foxes, badgers etc and even a peacock during daytime.

Is it possible for an animal to trigger the opening?

It used to happen on my Ford C Max. Root cause of that was moisture getting in to the electrics in the boot handle, especially in Winter with the condensation. Had to disconnect the switch in the end 

Yes, Unclewang, in Wisbech. And thanks to others for suggestions. Very grateful. Car is booked in for an investigation, so we'll see what happens. I also read it might have to do with the state of the battery.

I hadn't thought of that, we have a lot of wildlife roaming around here at night, foxes, badgers etc and even a peacock during daytime.

Is it possible for an animal to trigger the opening?

Yes... BUT the key fob would need to be VERY close to the rear of the car.

• Like 1

The easy open detection zone does seem to be much wider than I thought it would be. I only have to nonchalantly wave a foot or drag the wash hose near the rear and hey presto 'up she comes'. I have not, however,  had an issue with it opening unless the key is within a few feet.

I am having a problem with kessy working on handle touch. It will usually unlock but just cant get it to lock unless I plip the plop.

It will usually unlock but just cant get it to lock unless I plip the plop.

It's not a problem I've come across.

I assume you're touching the outside of the door handle for a second or two, where the indented groove is?

Yes. It is very strange.  It did work OK for a while but now it never locks from either side. It is going in for a check next week. Technology is great until----------I expect it will be something I have done/doing incorrectly :angel:

The boot on mine does not open unless I have the key on me. No key, no action, no matter how much I try to trigger it.

I have found the tailgate open twice, but on both occasions it was caused by me having both the KESSY key and house keys in the same pocket. Not happened since I stopped doing it.

We have two new 190 DSG Estates, about 8 weeks old. Both of us driving them have accidental triggered the electric boot button AND the lock/unlock buttons when in our pockets. I reckon about 15-20 triggers of the boot opening - one left it open for over an hour. Skoda re heading for some hefty claims for items taken out of open boots.

I've carried out some basic tests, and found that the buttons need about 500g (50N) of force to activate them. That compares to around 1.5kg (150N) required for the older style remotes we have in our Yeti and Citigo. 3 times less force !

I've booked in my car for next week for "investigation".

We have two new 190 DSG Estates, about 8 weeks old. Both of us driving them have accidental triggered the electric boot button AND the lock/unlock buttons when in our pockets. I reckon about 15-20 triggers of the boot opening - one left it open for over an hour. Skoda re heading for some hefty claims for items taken out of open boots.

How would Škoda be liable for anything that got taken?

You have admitted it’s down to putting the key in your pocket, so you are the one unlocking the car be that intentionally or not, maybe change where you put the key?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just came out to find the tailgate open, inside of the car is soaking wet!

Not sure how long it had been open for could have been all night!!

Anyone found a way around this problem?

When I started this thread, the hatch was opening randomly. It's only to the thanks of my neighbours that the interior of my car wasn't soaked too. At that time I was carrying the key in my pocket when I came into the house. I then started to hang it on the wall when I went indoors and I had no more problems. However, when I recently forgot and left the key in my pocket the boot opened again. At the time I was in the same room where I hang the key , but it does seem that having the key in my pocket contributed to the hatch opening.

The other thing I did was pay attention to the order I close and lock the doors. Previously I was locking the car by touching the door handle after closing the hatch - now I lock the car before I open and close the hatch. Time will tell if I have any more problems, but I seem to have found some possible reasons why it happens. Has anyone else found anything that works?

You have to be standing by the car to close the hatch with the key so could the key/car be programmed so you cannot open it without being next/near to the car?

• Like 2

Leaving your key unit in your pocket is asking for trouble, I have tried touching the button indoors with the car in view, hatch will open.  Just placing the key unit buttons down on a table will also open hatch, the hatch button iprtrudes further than the others and mine is very sensitive.Next test will be to find exactly how far away this will happen.

I take it all these mysterious boot openings are with kessy installs?

For old fashioned key fob cars, the boot release key button needs to be pressed and held down for at least a couple of seconds before the boot lid springs into life. So not experienced this issue to date.

Just came out to find the tailgate open, inside of the car is soaking wet!

Not sure how long it had been open for could have been all night!!

Anyone found a way around this problem?

Mine did the same but fortunately for me in one of the few dry days - since then I've not had the key in my pocket in the house & it hasn't happened again - I assume the boot open button must've been pressed in my pocket!