Fabia II 1.2 HTP Acceleration

didou25

Hi, i noticed a weird behavior on my fabia mk2. When i drive a bit fast and do i quick gear change and keep accelerating, the RPM (and speed) increase slowly and when i lift my foot a bit the rpm increases faster. What is the problem is it mechanical or is it my driving style (am i sending more gas to the motor more than it can handle).

Edited by didou25

You shouldn't be able to give it more throttle than it can handle, its a standard car. You'd only expect certain parts not to handle the power if you'd tuned it, which you'd never really get much from a HTP anyway, as its naturally aspirated. 

Does sound like maybe the clutch is playing up. 

Maybe get somebody else to drive it, see what they think and then take it back to the dealers. 

Its under warranty anyway, and it certainly sounds like it shouldn't be doing it, so it should be sorted under warranty with no cost incurred by yourself. 

edit. or have you not fully got your foot off the clutch when you put the accelerator back on? 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

You shouldn't be able to give it more throttle than it can handle, its a standard car. You'd only expect certain parts not to handle the power if you'd tuned it, which you'd never really get much from a HTP anyway, as its naturally aspirated. 

Does sound like maybe the clutch is playing up. 

Maybe get somebody else to drive it, see what they think and then take it back to the dealers. 

Its under warranty anyway, and it certainly sounds like it shouldn't be doing it, so it should be sorted under warranty with no cost incurred by yourself. 

edit. or have you not fully got your foot off the clutch when you put the accelerator back on? 

I put back my foot quickly to where it was befor shifting. and when i lift it a little bit back to normal behavior. i gave it to my old man and he said every thing is OK. am i flooding the engine with gas?

i dont know what you're doing. 

If its fine with your dad driving it, does that maybe suggest its your driving? trying to get back on the accelerator before you've fully got off the clutch maybe?

You wont flood it. thats not really possible. 

Sounds like you're slipping the clutch with your gear changes to be bluntly honest. Take it slower, lift fully off one pedal before applying the other unless starting off. If it was a clutch problem it'd show when pulling off too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds like you're slipping the clutch with your gear changes to be bluntly honest. Take it slower, lift fully off one pedal before applying the other unless starting off. If it was a clutch problem it'd show when pulling off too

straight to the point, no messin :D 

• Like 1

Hi, i noticed a weird behavior on my fabia mk2. When i drive a bit fast and do i quick gear change and keep accelerating, the RPM (and speed) increase slowly and when i lift my foot a bit the rpm increases faster. What is the problem is it mechanical or is it my driving style (am i sending more gas to the motor more than it can handle).

To me and assuming you lift your foot off the throttle it's the ecu adjusting engine in the car to keep running and not stall, in my Tdi it has scared me once or twice, my dads yeti does the same almost like cruise control in a way

I'd say your keeping your foot on the accelerator whilst depressing the clutch when driving quickly. Or what the other chaps have said. Other than that it's a trip to the dealers and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Right he has said it went to his dad and there was no issue for him driving it, can only mean one thing. Driver error

I think you have me and op mixed up I mentioned my dad as getting similar effect in both my fabia Tdi and his yeti Tdi once foot fully removed from throttle pedal car pick up rpm slightly and also slight increase in speed only marginal, in our case it's the torque of the engine that's keeping it going it will stall after a distance, maybe the htp engine has similar characteristics been a high torque petrol engine

this is exactly what i do, i'm not slipping the clutch with my gear changes. Mr. joedemp had somthing simillar

I think you have me and op mixed up I mentioned my dad as getting similar effect in both my fabia Tdi and his yeti Tdi once foot fully removed from throttle pedal car pick up rpm slightly and also slight increase in speed only marginal, in our case it's the torque of the engine that's keeping it going it will stall after a distance, maybe the htp engine has similar characteristics been a high torque petrol engine

But the TDI has more torque than HTP

Has the car done it since the day you owned it,or has it happened recently?

Since day one then it may be driving style,if something's different from before then a car problem?

I would try and drive another car of same spec (maybe at dealer?) and see how that one behaves

My wife has had an 09 plate HTP from new (now 70k+) - AFAIR it was always as described by the op, if I'm bit heavy footed: it sometimes feels as if it surges forward on lifting the pedal for a gear change up. It's not clutch slip.

It seems the engine management doesn't always give optimum power with foot hard to the floor.

I have had a 12 plate HTP for most of it's life (now 30k+) and it is different to the 09 plate version: not just the higher gearing, it is the same "S" trim level and was sold as 69ps/70bhp but it's a bit more gruff/throaty when "foot down".  More economical, subjectively quicker, and quieter at speed: a better car.

• Like 2