Superb FL hid bulb change....

fuzzz

Hi...I'm I missing something or how the h.e.l.l. do you change the headlight hid bulb on Superb 2 facelift....back of the headlight there are 3 screws to open the cover....two screws are reachable but the third one is hiding somewhere...I know here it is but can't get open...

Regards

F.

Damn can't they design something better than that...same thing with my old passat B5.5 where I had to remove half front of the car to change two bulbs...maybe I'll think of something have to check again...just adjusted the headlights myself and its a pain...Dealer adjusted them for free and YES you can't get nothing good...had to do it myself...

It's all in the manual in the glovebox, page 220  :sun:

Skoda only provide instructions for bulb replacements that it believes can be competently carried out by us, the rest (such as xenon and sealed LED's) are recommended to be done at a main dealer.

The reason xenon's aren't included is due to the high currents involved, however if you use your common sense and take care it is just as simple as a halogen headlight bulb change.

As the main beam / flash function is performed using a standard incandescent bulb the back of the xenon headlight is still illustrated in the manual so you can see how to access the xenon bulb.

No need to remove the bumper.

Can't be bothered to brave the rain to get the manual? Refuse to refer to a manual "as it isn't something blokes do" then you can do it in secret here instead...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/121976-official-skoda-superb-ii-documentation-now-available-for-download-from-skoda-auto-as/

Edited by silver1011

The indicator is not a DIY replacement, the reason for this is likely to be the same as on the latest MkIII Octavia.

The back of the headlight has to be broken open to gain access to the indicator bulb, as crazy as that sounds, the reason is the bulb is supposed to be long life.

There is then a genuine Skoda repair kit which includes a plastic cap and two self-tapping screws used to close up the hole again.

I wonder if this also therefore requires the headlight to be fully removed, and as a result the bumper too, hence the 2 hours. I imagine it was done FOC as the bulb isn't supposed to blow, especially when the car is still in warranty.

The manual makes no reference to the three screws, I assume these are used to remove the headlight? The manual assumes that access to the rubber caps behind the bulbs can be had with the headlight in situ.

This is the repair kit...

Removeindicator1_zps31a6f43f.jpg

More info in this thread...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/289023-led-indicator-bulbs/

Edited by silver1011

When I changed mine, I removed the wheel arch linings to access that third screw on the back of each headlight. The indicator on the xenon version is LED and therefore a lifetime component. I have no experience of the halogen models.

Be careful when removing the back cover as it also holds the ballast assembly and what looks like the AFS module. There is a low voltage wire and HV cable to and from the ballast that need to be disconnected (caution is needed due to potential of high voltage output).

There is also a red multi pin plug with a retaining clip for the AFS module. The wires are short so be careful when removing the back cover!

Check and double check the fitting of the new HID lamps before replacing the cover, it's a tight fit with awkward access when the headlights are in-situ.

• 4 weeks later...

Itd done 3.5hrs and changed the bulbs.... thank god I have a bit smallers hands...wheel archs liners off and then you reach the back of the light...damn too tight there but finally its done...difference is amazing...my mobile didnt catch the difference very well but there are some pictures

left is philips xtreme vision +50% on the right stock bulb

large_29429633_dbvV.jpg

large_29429637_1K8g.jpg

Edited by fuzzz
  • Like 1

Itd done 3.5hrs and changed the bulbs.... thank god I have a bit smallers hands...wheel archs liners off and then you reach the back of the light...damn too tight there but finally its done...difference is amazing...my mobile didnt catch the difference very well but there are some pictures

left is philips xtreme vision +50% on the right stock bulblarge_29429633_dbvV.jpglarge_29429637_1K8g.jpg

Well done. On the wife's 2003 Focus you have to remove the wheel arch liner to remove the bolt that holds the headlamp unit, which is the only way to change the headlight bulbs - it's nothing new. It took me about three hours the first time I did it; about 30 mins when I updated the bulbs to xtreme vision+.. Edited by numskull

Dmn engineers ...and here is one more shot.testing the lights...

a bit odd two hotspots on the road...but will get used to it...greenish a bit bluish light on the road, the beam hotspots are on middle of the road and sides are a bit darker than earliel...problably too much light blinding me and therefore its seems like sides are darker and less lighted...On the wet road absolutely brilliant. Waiting to burn them in and we'll see....maybe next bulbs are Osram NBU +70%...if anybody using them please share your experience...

orig_29429675_9U2O.jpg

Edited by fuzzz

I am running NBU due to a failed Osram std 4300k OE fit bulb just before Christmas!

They have a 150hr burn in time (!) and so far I have been very impressed. Sharper cut off than the standard bulb (which was still good but had some colour fringing), better light output and better colour light. I believe the colour is around 4400k and as such it is a good compromise of whiteness and light output. 

At £100 for a set; I think they are good value for money and not much more than the OE bulb that was in there. 

I have tried some cheap eBay 5000k 35w D1S bulbs and they failed quickly and had less light output than the standard burners. Yes they were £20 for a pair but when they only lasted 2mths it wasn't worth it.

My xtreme vision is not as sharp as I expected....tghought myself between CBI and Nightbreaker Unlimited....had a good experience with philips thats why I chose philips.... as I said earliel have to get used to them due to two hotspots on the ground...does CBI's view on the ground same as original only whiter or do they produce hotspots on the ground?