Fuel Filler Flap

jst_at_home

Hi all

First of all, a Happy New Year to all and wishing a great 2016.

Now to the problem.

The fuel filler flap on my wife's Yeti refuses to open.

Anyone know how to release it?

Thanks

John

/EDIT 

This has now been discussed. Solutions begin around reply #70

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/383230-fuel-filler-flap/?p=4644299

Edited by ColinD
resolution entry

I seem to remember that there is a solenoid behind the trim in the boot - just done a search but cannot find the post.

Thanks for that.  I think it's going to have to be a trip to the dealers which is frustrating as we only got it back yesterday after having a new a/c compressor fitted.

John

I put the ignition on while my wife gently presses the flap in and releases, only ever had the problem once.

It may reboot the solenoid?

Edited by gumdrop

Thanks for that.  I think it's going to have to be a trip to the dealers which is frustrating as we only got it back yesterday after having a new a/c compressor fitted.

John

Maybe they have left a fuse out? can you hear the solenoid?

Edited by killy

My car's fuel filler frequently refuses to unlock. The car is out of warranty, so I'm putting up with it.

I simply press the flap in a couple of times whilst pressing the unlock button on the remote, and it usually unlocks.

But if your car is under warranty, I suggest you get the dealer to sort it as it means removing the trim inside the wing from inside boot which is quite a time consuming job. I'm pretty certain Johann (900000) was the first to post on here about this problem but I must agree, I cant find the post now either.

My car's fuel filler frequently refuses to unlock. The car is out of warranty, so I'm putting up with it.

I simply press the flap in a couple of times whilst pressing the unlock button on the remote, and it usually unlocks.

But if your car is under warranty, I suggest you get the dealer to sort it as it means removing the trim inside the wing from inside boot which is quite a time consuming job. I'm pretty certain Johann (900000) was the first to post on here about this problem but I must agree, I cant find the post now either.

Thanks Speedsport.  I think this is where we're at.  Although used, the car is half way through a 12 month Skoda warranty (we've already had replacement seat heating elements and yesterday's a/c compressor) so it's a call in the morning.  

I should say that Simpsons in  Preston have been fantastic.

John

... I'm pretty certain Johann (900000) was the first to post on here about this problem but I must agree, I cant find the post now either.

Wasn't it when he first took delivery (of all times!)?  A protracted handover, partly because the Yeti was a new beast back then and they had to take a lot of the car apart to find where the bits are.  

Where are you, Johann?! 

The man from the AA (Skoda Assistance)is here now.  After 45 minutes, he doesn't seem to have got far ....

Thanks everyone for advice and to Brijo for finding the 2010 posting.

The day has had a better end than I thought.

The AA man could not do anything and advised that we either got the car to the dealers where they would have to strip down the internal panelling at the rear right or he could brake the flap.

Reluctantly (because we are going on holiday next week and time is tight) we said we would try to get the car to the dealers.

Anyway, late this afternoon I thought I'd have another go at cycling the central locking while pressing in the flap.

After about 30 minutes the flap freed.  Phew!

I then set about soaking the locking post with penetrating oil and dousing it with GT80 spray until it was totally free.

It seems to be OK.

As I live in that part of Lancashire that has suffered severe flooding over the past few weeks, while we have not been flooded, the rainfall has been epic so I'm wondering if that has been all or part of the problem.

Thanks again everyone.

John

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where the fuel filler flap solenoid is?

Following several previous comments here about having to remove interior trim to gain access if the flap fails to open, I've spent some considerable time this afternoon removing most of the trim from the boot trying to find it, but It's not where I expected it to be - behind the offside side trim panel in the boot. All that's in there is an electronic device that I assume is the canbus decoder for the rear lights. No solenoid, nothing!

I'm now wondering if the solenoid is actually outside the car, high up inside the rear wheel arch, behind the liner and is in fact you have to remove the rear wheel & liner to gain access.

Anyone know if this is so?

And yes.... my fuel filler flap won't unlock. Fortunately I have an almost full tank, but inevitably I'll need to fill up again sooner or later!

Edited by speedsport

Thanks for the parts diagram....  it'll be useful when I actually find where they've hidden the solenoid/servo unit! Having had no success trying to find it from inside the car yesterday, the more i look at the car, the more I think it probably is above the wheel arch liner. Fortunately I have enough fuel for the motorsport event for which I'm Test Commander this weekend (Tour of Cheshire) but I'll have to investigate further early next week.

If only everything in life was as reliable as a ..........   VAG car?

Well, what a frustrating afternoon!

I've removed the driver's side rear wheel and arch liner (what a lot of fasteners!) and guess what? No sign of the solenoid/servo for the filler flap.

So now I'm really struggling.... the device must be somewhere inside the car, but where?

I'm either going to have to take it into the Skoda agent (expensive) or have another go at removing trim inside the boot again.

Most internal trim comes out fairly easily, but it's very time consuming. You have to remove the spare wheel, the 3 underfloor boxes (which means unbolting the false boot floor from the boxes) then the tailgate slam panel cover, the D pillar cover, the o/s hook rail, and then carefully prise the trim panel forwards. The big problem is that to remove the trim panel entirely, you need to remove the C pillar cover but it's got an airbag behind it and I'm very nervous about messing with that.

Searching for "Yeti Fuel Filler Flap Won't Open"  no-one seems to have found a solution other than getting a Skoda Garage to sort it - in virtually every case the car has still been under warranty.

Change the search to Tiguan, and the only solution offered is taking it to a VW agent.

There are lots of entries on the internet where people struggle with VW Group cars whose fuel fillers won't open, but it looks as though all (except the Yeti & Tiguan) have an emergency release behind a flap in the boot.

Over the years, I've restored cars, built cars to compete in, and despite modern technology have been able to undertake most maintenance once cars are out of warranty so I'm pretty handy with most things, but I'm now on the verge of this darned thing defeating me, which is incredibly frustrating especially as it's probably something very simple!

Grrrrr!

John H

Edited by speedsport

Below is a parts diagram and I think that part 5 is the lock that turns to lock the flap so it must be just behind the body of the filler.
I have just been out and when you press the locking rod it rotates.
666809500.png

• Like 1

Below is a parts diagram and I think that part 5 is the lock that turns to lock the flap so it must be just behind the body of the filler.

I have just been out and when you press the locking rod it rotates.

Thanks Urrell... Muddyboots send me a link to that diagram too. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you where item 5 actually is located.

Interestingly, it's described as throttle control element fuel filler flap, which sounds a bit weird, but how to find it is still a mystery.

Thanks Urrell... Muddyboots send me a link to that diagram too. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you where item 5 actually is located.

Interestingly, it's described as throttle control element fuel filler flap, which sounds a bit weird, but how to find it is still a mystery.

I was going to say open the flap (if only you could) and where it contacts the flap is a locking part that is described as a throttle control element fuel filler flap.

So it's just behind the middle rear of the flap.

Flap_zpsi2gxkuod.jpg

Edited by Urrell

Long-shot but could it be accessed by removing the rear light cluster?

Edit: No, only very small holes behind there!!

Edited by Urrell

If it is double skinned it may be that the door has to be broken and the liner behind the flap removed (looks like just one torx just below the locking actuator) to gain access or may even be attached to it.

Thanks Urrell....  whilst I had the arch liner out of the way, I must admit that I started to form the impression that there may indeed be a double skin there, as the plastic gubbins under the wing seemed to have much less depth to it than than the filler cap & surround that you see from the outside.

I've looked at ElasWin, &  that very helpfully says :

Removing and installing fuel tank lid unit     –  Remove screw -3- (1.5 Nm). –  Slightly and carefully pull the fuel tank lid unit -2- out of the side section in order to avoid damage to paintwork. –  Pull the rubber part of the unit over the tank filler neck. –  Pull the drain hose -4- out of the unit. –  If it is intended to remove the fuse module -1-, it is necessary to switch off the ignition as well as all of the electrical components and to disconnect the plug at the fuse module. –  Remove the fuel tank lid unit from the vehicle. Installing: –  Installation is carried out in the reverse order.  

Where the "Fuse Module - 1" appears to be the lock for the flap, and of course you cant do any of the mentioned procedures with the flap shut.

ElsaWin doesn't appear to offer any advice on how to gain access when the flap is locked shut.

It's increasingly looking as though I'm either going to have to force the flap open, or seek help from a Skoda workshop, or both!