Octavia 4x4 variations (including part numbers)

Its not just me that has wandered into the local motor mongers, handed over a reg number and got back a wrong part.. computers don't always get it right! :wall:

So i'm trying to collate a list of the parts that are different, with the part numbers as appropriate to help us with the "special version" spend more time enjoying our cars instead of limping back and forth exchanging parts.

generic list below, I will add more when I find the info I had saved (on a USB drive, presently MIA :swear: )

please feel free to add/update as required and be aware that not every car is identical.. 

Exhausts
k03 4 bolt exit to rear downpipe into two cats
twin cats as per TT etc
offset triangular center box
going a different way to a back box that is unique to octavia 4x4 (£271 from dealers!)

Rear axle

independent rather than a beam axle, similar to A3 quattro, s3, golf R32 etc

Traction control

called ESP on the button

Rear window

according to page 123 of the manual, the 4x4 model is blessed with a sticker in the rear window that uses a special glue, only the manufacturer can remove without damaging the heater elements!  :D

Fuel tank

Different shape, and capacity

Brakes

front uses 296mm(?) replace discs and carriers for 312mm vrs style upgrade (pads and callipers are the same)

handbrake cables are different, see thread here

Misc

gearbox has an output, it has a propshaft, a rear diff, rear driveshafts and the ability to exit a roundabout quicker than a nuns first curry!

why can't i edit my post??

The following is based on google, ebay, and matching images and reference to what I have spent quite a bit of time fiddling with on my 2002 ARX 4x4 k03 turbo octavia.

the last time I looked at it was 4 days ago, when I had to reattach the down pipe after it decided to decat itself! (6 bolt heads corroded away enough to allow it to seperate)

Exhaust part numbers:

Front down pipe

41TOG1yj1OL._SX355_.jpg

ebay link

Manufacturer Part Number: BM5340

BM Part Number:               70410

EAN                                 5052746024876

Mid pipe

SKS014.png

ebay link

MPN: SKS014

Cats

$(KGrHqJHJBQFDs+3heDLBQ+mbEq(k!~~60_1.JP

ebay link

MPN: CATAU125TA

Back box

very limited info on the stock unit..

I'm looking for similar items but because the majority of VAG mobiles either go over the beam rear axle on 2wd with plenty of room for a big box and long tail pipes or loose the spare wheel well and replace it with a silencer on 4motion/quattro models. 

Hey there. You are right about exhaust.

Front brakes are 288mm (280mm without 4x4) also upgradable to 312 with cariers. Rear brakes are 238mm (232 without 4x4).

Fuel tank is practical separated in half so it has two fuel pumps one is for leveling fuel the other for engine supply.

If you need more info look for MK4 R32 or Audi S3 and Audi TT from that age + Seat Leon 4X4.

• Like 1

Also the A3 1.8t quattro is quite a good part swapper - but be aware of the changes, mainly around 2004 (?) when wheel PCD went to 5 x 112 instead of 5 x 100. 

Also another one with an exhaust instead of a spare wheel well!

Front vented disc (289mm) 0986478481

rear solid disc (239mm) 1J0615601D

Please check yourself the numbers, and I advise always spend the extra (quite often not many more) quid or so on better known brands of brakes - they last much longer, so work out cheaper anyway!

• 2 months later...

You're not the only one... my back box is a lost cause, its been sat in the scrap bin at my mates farm for the last 3 months!  :D

I chopped it out and replaced it with a bit of slightly bent 2.5£" tube flared down to fit - look horrific, sounds questionable, but the man from Vosa liked it last week, so it can stay until I find another option - trial and error tells me an A4 back ox is close, but too wide to fit between the wheel well and the chassis rail (there's 12" width realistically)

an aftermarket S3, TT quattro type that doesn't have the box where the spare wheel well SHOULD be a close contender..

This has been an absolute blessing for using part numbers & ebay:

http://etka.cc/skoda/parts_lst/lang/e/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2002/hg/5/catalog/sk/drive_standart/252

ETKA online, directed specifically at the rear axle on a 2002 model

the result of that was confirming golf IV R32 springs and shocks will fit - about 20mm lower than standard, but much firmer ride  :nerd:

Edited by Octabus

I have to confess, I felt some trouser motions when I first encountered it!  :D  just don't blame me for the amount of sleep you will loose by clicking through it!

I have to confess, I felt some trouser motions when I first encountered it!  :D  just don't blame me for the amount of sleep you will loose by clicking through it!

hahahahaha!!!!