Android head unit DS820

Hi Folks,

Thought long and hard and just looking for other views or more info on this.

Just about to purchase a DS820 to replace a Bolero head unit. Can anyone recommend anything else or give some info about this unit if they have one? This will be going in to a facelift Octavia 62 plate TDi VRs. I've already removed the Bolero head unit. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I've had a DNS 820 for about 3 month's in my vrs and its fantastic !

I don't know about the android units, but the Chinese units, provided you get the right one, have come a long way in the past couple of years !

Edited by studmuffin

I'm looking at this unit seriously too, but concerned at the lack of independent information available 

Studmuffin does all the funtionality work as on the website?  What's the sound like?

Does the unit have built in Sat Nav? - if so what's the crack regarding mapping updates?

Any problems fitting? Any additional wiring required other than the BT microphone for a basic installation?  

Any VCDS coding needed?

It seems like a great price (esp compared to buying a new Octy to get bluetooth and Mirrorlink!)

Edited by juan27

Here's some links about the DS-820 in case anyone's wondering what we are talking about: 

http://www.iceboxauto.com/skoda-octavia-ans620

http://www.audiosources.net/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=50002&Id=303&FId=t3:50002:3#

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1

I'm looking at this unit seriously too, but concerned at the lack of independent information available

Studmuffin does all the funtionality work as on the website? What's the sound like?

As good if not better than a stream or dance unit which I previously had...

Does the unit have built in Sat Nav? - if so what's the crack regarding mapping updates?

I'm running primo 2.4 which is superb !

Can easily obtain maps from websites like gpsunderound and navitotal...

Any problems fitting? Any additional wiring required other than the BT microphone for a basic installation?

20 min job to fit, tork screwdriver is all you need to remove 4 screws...

BT mic should be already in the unit so no additional wiring is needed...

You will need a double fakra aerial adapter if you want am reception...

Any VCDS coding needed?

No

It seems like a great price (esp compared to buying a new Octy to get bluetooth and Mirrorlink!)

It is a great unit for £269 !

Can you use the phone link to run google maps?

Lee

The unit has mirror link in the menu, but I think you need a module for it to work

It is a great unit for £269 !

Thanks for the answers....are you saying the microphone is built into the head unit or that one is included that you have to install? If so did you install in the OEM position in the map lights housing? 

Thanks for the answers....are you saying the microphone is built into the head unit or that one is included that you have to install? If so did you install in the OEM position in the map lights housing?

Mic is built into actual head unit.

• Like 1

It certainly does look like a great piece of kit for the money and the fact that the fit is spot on as well as an 8 inch screen it seems like a no brainer. Is it correct to assume that no additional wiring or any other module is required and that it is a straight swap out for the Bolero?

• Like 1

I would just like to point out that I have the DNS 810 which is NOT android, so I can't comment on the performance of the DS820 which is this thread...

The DNS 810 is a great unit, easy to fit, no additional wiring, apart from double fakra aerial adapter if you want am...

Demo here...

If you want any more info just ask !

https://youtu.be/JwWQDzvFe2o

thanks for the answers , i think im gonna chance it and go with a purchase :)

I have ordered. I will be interested in sharing experiences...  

I've emailed Rob at Icebox a couple of times.

The DS820 has an internal mic for Bluetooth if your Ocatvia doesn't have Bluetooth fitted but they can supply an external mic for an extra £10.

Phone Mirror Link should work without any additional module.

GPS antenna is included.

Lee