Android head unit DS820

This is proving an interesting thread. I didn't know about the non Android DNS 810 - Does anyone know the differences between this and the DS 820. What Operating system flavour does the DNS 810 run if not Android? Do we need any additional wiring for a mic etc. for an Ocatavia with no Bluetooth parts installed?

This is proving an interesting thread. I didn't know about the non Android DNS 810 - Does anyone know the differences between this and the DS 820. What Operating system flavour does the DNS 810 run if not Android? Do we need any additional wiring for a mic etc. for an Ocatavia with no Bluetooth parts installed?

For the 820 you do not need an additional mic as there is an inbuilt mic in the unit. But for an extra £10 they can include an external mic if you would rather position the mic higher up.

Lee

Does anyone know what the difference is between the DS-820 and the DS-611?

http://www.iceboxauto.com/skoda-octavia-ans620  (Link for the 820)

http://www.iceboxauto.com/skoda-octaviayetifabia-ds611 (Link for the 611)

I could email Rob again but I've already done that a few times already.  :nerd:

Lee

Don t think it's the right size though?

My understanding is the 820 is a direct replacement for the Bolero. Presumably the Columbus fits in the same "hole" as the Bolero, but maybe had different trim? 

Hi,

Just fitted the DS820 in my 56 pate L&K.

Please see my comments on the other andriod thread. It fits the Strem MP3 size surround (the larger hole with slimmer border).

Really good unit, a few small niggles, but fits really well.

From the other thread:

"Doesn't show climate control settings (which it is supposed to)"  

I was just thinking whilst driving this morning (before reading that) that the climate control settings not being shown would potentially be a dealbreaker for me.  Hopefully this can be overcome. 

My understanding is the 820 is a direct replacement for the Bolero. Presumably the Columbus fits in the same "hole" as the Bolero, but maybe had different trim? 

The columbus is not as wide, I'll have to look at where it goes in to see if the hole is wide enough

This unit is tempting to me also, with the built in ''everything'' unlike the columbus where add ons have to be purchased like gps and bluetooth module, not to mention the price difference. Sure its an ''eastern'' part of the world unit but Rob in icebox seems contactable in the uk, which would lessen the suck it and see attitude of buying from the far east hoping it will work.

As it was mentioned before the chinese units have come a long way in reliability the past few years.

So judging by the website if you have a bolero or stream headunit the ds820 and m005 will fit no problem.

Hi, To answer some of the questions that have come up.

Yes I am pleased with the unit overall, is these few items can be resolved I would say its a great unit. It boots up pretty quickly, but maybe a tad slower than the stock unit. I have now had a chance to fit a SDHC card and it sounds really good form mp3 files. I haven't got the shuffle working as I would like it yet. I have stored the individual tracks in folders for each album, but it doesn't seem to shuffle between albums.

On the Date Time Issue, I think I have narrowed it down to a conflict between the main software and the Nav system. If I turn the Nav off, then it shows the correct UK time and date, as soon as I turn the sat nav on , even though I have chosen UK time zone, it sets it to China.

Still no closer on the Climate control issue

I have raised both issues with Icebox and with AudioSources (via online chat) last Friday, but haven't heard anything yet.

The climate / PDC issue is an easy one to explain......

Essentially: They use the older DDC (Pre-FL) protocol, not the newer BAP (FL) protocol. There's no interface that will translate all of that easily for you.....the best you'll get is a PolarFIS module, but they are around the £200 mark, but do bring other things to the party.

Also the HVAC is wired slightly differently between Pre-FL and FL, you *can* have a go at re-wiring the HVAC panel (there is a guide in the forum somewhere).

I suspect that the units you're looking at are BAP-only, so you'll need to be in a FL for it all to work easily.

I'm running and RNS-315 (Amundsen+) which is BAP-only, to be honest, I don't miss the climate display as it's only an echo of something 2 inches lower, nor the PDC: the beeping still works fine.

Essentially: They use the older DDC (Pre-FL) protocol, not the newer BAP (FL) protocol. There's no interface that will translate all of that easily for you.....the best you'll get is a PolarFIS module, but they are around the £200 mark, but do bring other things to the party.

Also the HVAC is wired slightly differently between Pre-FL and FL, you *can* have a go at re-wiring the HVAC panel (there is a guide in the forum somewhere).

I suspect that the units you're looking at are BAP-only, so you'll need to be in a FL for it all to work easily.

I'm running and RNS-315 (Amundsen+) which is BAP-only, to be honest, I don't miss the climate display as it's only an echo of something 2 inches lower, nor the PDC: the beeping still works fine.

OK that is now what I have been told by Rob at ICEBOX, thanks very much for explaining that.

I suppose I am a little disappointed, as it did show up on the Stream MP3, and the blurb for the new head unit said it was for 2006, so I would have expected it to work. However it’s not the end of the world to me.

I have now had a chance to load the firmware update. The SD card is 8Gb, so there was just enough room to create a new folder, move all the GPS software into it and then load the new firmware onto the root.

Install was easy...and it works!!! Now keeps the correct time.

I am really pleased with it, phone and address book sync works well, SD music sounds great, can all work at the same time, so none of this loosing music after using the sat nav.

Looks great, fit is nearly perfect, good match for the sheen of the Skoda surround, had to change the colour from the Red after the upgrade, but easily done through factory settings.

Last thing for me is the random play, but this is really because I chose to file my song tracks in album folders, which it doesn’t seem to like.

So are you saying you would expect climate settings to show in a FL? 

OK that is now what I have been told by Rob at ICEBOX, thanks very much for explaining that.

I suppose I am a little disappointed, as it did show up on the Stream MP3, and the blurb for the new head unit said it was for 2006, so I would have expected it to work. However it’s not the end of the world to me.

The Streams are DDP. (Although I have no idea why anyone would do this.........) I think if you put a Stream into an FL it won't do the display thing either.

So are you saying you would expect climate settings to show in a FL? 

All I can give you is the experience I've have with my various headunits (Stream MP3, Bolereo, RCD310, RNS315 {Amundsen+} and RNS510 {Columbus}) I've not had a FL car (I like the older stuff), so I can't say for sure what would happen when fitting one of these clone units. I would say the chances are greater of everything working as desired, in the FL (therefore BAP) than the pre-FL, mainly because people tend to develop for what's around at the time, not the stuff that came before. (I think BAP is still the current protocol used)

• Like 1

The Streams are DDP. (Although I have no idea why anyone would do this.........) I think if you put a Stream into an FL it won't do the display thing either.

All I can give you is the experience I've have with my various headunits (Stream MP3, Bolereo, RCD310, RNS315 {Amundsen+} and RNS510 {Columbus}) I've not had a FL car (I like the older stuff), so I can't say for sure what would happen when fitting one of these clone units. I would say the chances are greater of everything working as desired, in the FL (therefore BAP) than the pre-FL, mainly because people tend to develop for what's around at the time, not the stuff that came before. (I think BAP is still the current protocol used)

OK understood. I guess we'll just have to see when I put it in.