Android head unit DS820

So received my stereo this morning and installed it in about 20 mins. 

Pretty happy with it so far, my reversing sensors still work and shows up a display, Also has some nice extra features such as a verbal warning when the doors/boot is open, seat belt warning etc.

Sat nav is okay-ish unfortunately it does not have a 7 digit postcode search but it still works reasonable well, I will be changing it to a "desnav" when i get a spare mini sd card. 

The phone connectivity worked perfectly and was able to make and receive calls using its own mic. CD/DVD works fine and sound quality was decent.

All in all im glad a made the purchase, all i gotta do now is wait till the next morning and hope my battery has not drained, although i was assured it shouldn't have battery drain issues. 

Here are some pics.

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

Edited by chaydel
  • Like 1

That does look good although the quality of the nav looks a bit disappointing, can you change them in anyway?

Sat isn't that bad , not the best picture. But you can change it, I'll b changing it to one call devsat.

Have you tried phone mirror?

Interested if using google maps would be an option

The phone mirror option is via cable so I didn't bother installing it as I had nowhere that looked neat enough to put the cables.

Lee

For the car OBD readings to be displayed did you need to get a separate OBD dongle?

Hey, it was all plug and play , and so far no battery drain. The only thing I needed was a 6 pound aerial adapter.

Thats great! Puts me in 2 minds now as I was looking at this one last night but this one requires the dongle but its under a tenner!

http://www.autopumpkin.com/pumpkin-8-inch-1024-600-touchscreen-quad-core-android-4-4-car-stereo-for-vw-skoda-seat-series-2-din-with-parrot-bluetooth-and-better-radio-ic-support-dab-aux-output-mirrorlink-obd2-wifi-3g-steering-wheel-control.html

vw%20bluetooth%20car%20unit%201.jpg

Edited by Awesam

Have you tried phone mirror?

Interested if using google maps would be an option

The phone mirror option is via cable so I didn't bother installing it as I had nowhere that looked neat enough to put the cables.

Lee

I have my MDI hard drive in the little cubby hole beneath the air con and a USB lead back to the MDi unit. This would be a good place to route the phone mirror cable, and quite "OEM" looking at the options on the latest Octys.   

Anybody tried the phone mirror ?

How does it work and is it any good ?

I haven't tried it but as I understand you plug your android phone in by USB cable, and the head unit screen then reflects your phone screen. I'll feedback when I actually get time to fit mine!  

The only thing I needed was a 6 pound aerial adapter.

Can you provide a bit more info on this...I live a 30 min+ drive from the nearest Halfords so getting this in advance of taking my dash apart would be a help.

Just went for one of these for my "new" LE so can also report back on how I get on with it

the Adapter will just be a double to single Fakra for if you need to/want to be able to receive am reception

Edited by rodenal

I've been following this for a bit and openly admit that I might being a bit slow. According to the site, the Pumpkin head supports iPhone 6.

Has anyone used with an iPhone. Particularly keen on Mirror Link over a lightning USB cable.

Thanks