"The Raging Mouse" Fabia Monte Carlo.

Outofthi5world

So, basically "it's not a project" :)  I started this thread so I wasn't spamming the WDYDTYST thread in the Gen car section, but we'll see how it goes and see what happens along the way.

So, firstly I bought the car on the 13th of October 2015, Completely standard, nothing changed:

WP_20151015_11_06_23_Pro_zpslcrqqke2.jpg

Apart from the fact that as soon as I got it home I put my Columbus in, the boot springs on, theBrisky plate surround on the back and the sticker in the window of course:

WP_20151015_11_05_41_Pro_zps0yje6t48.jpg

bonnet%201_zpsxyypzvpe.jpg

Edited by Outofthi5world

Stripes and bonnet:

So on my way home from the dealers I ordered a new front grill and bought a tin of red engine enamel (Halfords high temp) and did this to it on my day off:

IMG_0004_zpspblk3e8d.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsyajx7ehh.jpg

A nice, cheap mod and definitely better than using vinyl like on the old Fabia.

It was, however quite dirty, so I washed it. And when you wash, you notice things that you otherwise wouldn't and I found that the bonnet was hanging over the front:

IMG_0006_zpsxusahuac.jpg

So I took it back and argued with the dealers and couldn't get anywhere so I E-mailed SUK who sorted it out and I got to an agreement that they would send it to a body-shop and pay for the repair.

Edited by Outofthi5world

I had also ordered some mud-flaps when I got my new grill but unfortunately due to the arch extensions they don't fit, so I got a set from Performance Creations which are superb!

IMG_0037_zpsgr3eqjrl.jpg

IMG_0038_zpscrhbbnbg.jpg

IMG_0039_zpsbdyiteks.jpg

And they definitely help with the mud:

IMG_0042_zpsjatwgxgl.jpg

Then I took it round Snetterton. This was already booked before I bought the car and was a great opportunity to test its metal. I have to say, the breaks are brilliant as I'm sure BJB540 will agree :D however the track conditions weren't so. There's a couple of videos that show one of my sessions on track and I got a bit faster as the day went on.

Then of course, this happened:

IMG_0046_zpsezdw4zpo.jpg

IMG_0047_zpsxo8leifz.jpg

IMG_0049_zpsmcmqqetl.jpg

IMG_0051_zpsbyr6v7no.jpg

So when Skoda rang me to ask when I would like the car booking in for the repair I told them they needn't bother because it had been crashed and pretty much left it at that really.

But luckily I had Track insurance with Morris and had bought the optional excess insurance which took the £750 excess off and left me with a bill of £125 for a £2262 repair. Which isn't bad considering.

All thanks go to Spray-Shack in Northallerton for doing an amazing job with the repair:

IMG_0083_zpsjaabykrj.jpg

And the bonnet problem is now solved.

Then I got a pair of pressed plates for the car and fitted the back one. I am not quite happy with the front one yet so it's staying off until I revise my mounting idea. I want screws rather than tape but the holes aren't that good and the plate wants to stay straight and stick out at the edges which I don't like. But I'll get one on even if I have to buy another plate. Shame I've drilled it already. :(

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 3

Bumper and breaks.

So I asked Spray-Shack to save the old bumper as they couldn't get the splitter off and they did, which was nice. So I spent a bit of time with a grinder and a knife and after doing this I managed to get a knife in and cut the sealent that was bonding the two together.

IMG_0102_zpspelhfgas.jpg

So now I have a spare splitter and arch extension piece.

£50 bought me a spare set of calipers off a VRS which I gave a few coats of the same paint I used on the front grill and using an old set of K'nex I was able to make some painting racks so I didn't ruin the job:

IMG_0113_zpsecpzmyjq.jpg

IMG_0114_zpsrpes0ab0.jpg

IMG_0115_zpsctj4k9r4.jpg

And today I took the car into VASStech to have a set of Osram Nightbrekers that I'd bought over new years fitted, these calipers and carriers fitted, the rear break drums loosened so I can take them off when I want to paint them (they were welded on like alloy wheels, but REALLY solid) and the Aux port cover that should have come with the car fitted.

Here's a couple of shots of the breaks fitted:

IMG_0138_zpsla8wiyms.jpg

IMG_0139_zpslsdbna54.jpg

• Like 1

VRS wheels.

So back when I had the other Fabia I bought Stewpotz old VRS wheels. They were OK but nothing more than that, some of the pain was flaking off and the finish was a bit crap, but they were exactly what I was after. Cheap. Thanks Stewpots.

Here's a picture of them on the old Fabia for a before shot as I didn't take one before I started stripping them:

WP_20150822_18_24_24_Pro_zpsfujqik5c.jpg

I did a quick test with the spare wheel (22nd of November, so some time between the crash and the repair. I know this isn't in chronological order due to grouping wheels, bumper ect but it is close) and just sprayed a can of gold over the paint that was on the wheel, no primer, no clear coat just some gold paint and a piece of card to mask it off a bit:

IMG_0057_zpsuajyhqfg.jpg

I test fitted it to the good side of the car:

IMG_0068_zpspqbj0hux.jpg

Which I thought looked nice, so gold it was going to be.

Wheel prep and paint:

First sanding with drill brush:

IMG_0126_zpsqy5v3luf.jpg

Finer sanding by hand with some paper:

IMG_0127_zpsa90z3kbq.jpg

Masked off a corner of the spare room to be my "Spray booth"

IMG_0128_zpstmdlkmhd.jpg

But unfortunately the window can't be opened because there's no key. And I can't have the door open because the smoke alarm goes off :D

Masked the tyre off:

IMG_0129_zpsl8nljbzv.jpg

Primer:

IMG_0131_zpsbw9lzfp8.jpg

Skoda Black Magic in the back of the wheel. A. I already had this spray so I saved a bit of Gold paint and B. I think the end result this gave was quite nice.

IMG_0132_zpsfx04tmny.jpg

Some of these photos aren't exactly the best quality, sorry, it's a phone camera and it was very foggy in there. I did my best.

First gold on the faces:

IMG_0136_zpsqz2yrurg.jpg

3 coats were successful, minor runs but I wasn't aiming for perfection. However on the 4th and final coat the thing I didn't want to happen happened and I ended up with a massive lump of paint hanging off one of the spokes. So I waited for it to harden enough and sanded the offending area down:

IMG_0133_zpsllawl8si.jpg

Then sprayed over it:

IMG_0134_zpsnbssr23k.jpg

See, you can hardly tell it was there.

Both wheels after (I think it was 3 coats) of primer, 4 coats of Ford Olympic gold and 2 coats of Skoda Black Magic and 4 coats of heavy duty PU lacquer:

IMG_0142_zpsidtrcovu.jpg

Nice gloss finish, once again, I wasn't aiming for perfection and I didn't expect it either. I am happy with this finish and for winter wheels I think this will be more than fine.

IMG_0143_zpskj9d74bp.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsgug72aaa.jpg

And in the backs (there was more gold on the bottom side of the backs where I hadn't been rotating the wheel round when spraying the gold which is something to remember for the other 2, but this was pretty much fixed by spraying what gold paint I had left up onto the top sides)

First pic is before spraying in the back:

IMG_0137_zpst1zqdqd3.jpg

And after, with tape off:

IMG_0145_zps0cmzprcs.jpg

IMG_0147_zps4bbxyfhk.jpg

It does also seam to show up differently depending on what angle you look at them from.

One last picture, back of one and face of the other:

IMG_0148_zpsgtvqvxh2.jpg

Now I just need to get the other 2 done and get them re-balanced at the garage, get them put on the car and enjoy.

Subscribed, good read so far :)

Thank-you kind sir, much appreciated. It will, however slow down from now. I can't do that much in a day :D

Great Job on the car and the Wheels

Well done

What's next? Or is that a secret?

Thanks Chris. Next job? Got to take the dealer sticker out of the back window as I don't like dealer stickers and I certainly don't want to advertise for a dealer that takes 3 months to get a lock nut key that should have been with the car when it was bought. Then I have had VASStech remove and re-fit the rear break hubs while they were on with the calipers and lights as I tried removing them and they were stuck on solid, not a bit of movement. So next time I get a day off and it's not absolutely chucking it down I'll jack the back up, put it on stands, get both hubs inside and paint them black rather than rust colour. Then while I'm on with that I may as well put the new lock nuts on.

And a bloody good wash, I'm sick of this rain making the farm lane dirty it's getting annoying. But what can you do?

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 2

Looking good, didn't know you could put the vRS front brakes on the Monte, may have to consider that in future! Regarding painting the drums, can you not do that with them still attached to the car? I was going to paint mine by putting the car on axle stands, remove as much rust as I can with a wire brush then paint them using a brush with some Hammerite.

Looking good, didn't know you could put the vRS front brakes on the Monte, may have to consider that in future! Regarding painting the drums, can you not do that with them still attached to the car? I was going to paint mine by putting the car on axle stands, remove as much rust as I can with a wire brush then paint them using a brush with some Hammerite.

Here's the for sale thread from when I bought the calipers: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380902-skoda-fabia-mk2-vrs-calipers-carriers/#entry4461502 And they have fit with the original disks and pads that were onthe car before. I haven't had the old calipers out of the box from the garage yet to inspect but I suspect they are identical. They work anyway, so all is well.

As for the rear drums, yes, you could get away without taking the drums off the car if you wanted but you'd want to mask off the bolt holes, hub, wheel contact area and the wheel arch area if you're spraying them or be careful if you're using a brush. they come off with only a torx bit once the wheel is off provided they haven't welded themselves on like mine did. And providing the breaks haven't worn a lip on them but a mallet will sort that eventually. But anyway, I'm spraying them and found masking them on my old Fabia was an easy job.

WP_20150509_17_34_18_Pro_zpsxyrkxejm.jpg

So today I did a thing.

Jacked the back end of the car up, took both break drums off and put the wheels back on with a couple of bolts just in case it happened to fall off.

Then took my drums to the spare room, as you can see, they are quite rusty and son't look that good at all. Time for a bit of a clean up.

IMG_0152_zpsxetj02nv.jpg7

A quick clean with the drill brush got them looking better:

IMG_0153_zpsmrckpkpl.jpg

Drums masked and painted:

IMG_0154_zpsiscroyix.jpg

And on the car:

IMG_0158_zps9pyik1ec.jpg

The paint used was Halfords VHT metallic black which, to be honest, I don't really recommend. For one it's not black. It's more of a washed out grey, it is better than the rust that was there by a long way but black it is not. It also says on the can that it doesn't cure properly until it reaches a high temperature (can't remember how high but higher than it's ever going to get hopefully) So I won't be completely surprised if I have to do this again in the summer. 

As for the front calipers I had a look at the old ones and they are exactly the same, just the VRS ones come painted red from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so Yesterday I washed it (finally!) and got rid of the dealer sticker from the back window, the service sticker from the front window and the forecourt ID sticker from the interior mirror. And I noticed that my rear break drums are starting to go rusty. Yep, that's right, not a typo! I said that paint was **** didn't I?

Oh, and I finished painting the other 2 wheels today so they can dry off a bit then I will take them to the balancey place to be de-wobbled.

And I have my eye on something on E-bay. Only 2 other people know what it is and I'm NOT saying what it is as I want to keep the price where it is if possible.

Edited by Outofthi5world

It's probably not good for you but shouldn't be a problem with the window open and an extractor fan, if it's got up to curing temperature it should stop it rusting....... Unless it's really rubbish paint

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So it went to RS Tuning this morning for a dyno run, turns out it's pushing 115.3 BHP which is good:

Scan_20160319_zpsf8dzybmr.jpg

It also looks like I'll have to put a set of Monte wheels back on and ditch the VRS ones as they are vibrating a lot once you get past 80 which I suspect is down to the lacquer pealing off  :swear:

Or the fact theyre not balanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are balanced, I had them balanced after I sprayed them, but the lacquer has decided it is crap and doesn't want to be on the wheels any more. They were perfect until I washed the car the other day.

They cant be balanced or they wouldnt vibrate. Maybe some weights have fallen off.

Either way lacquer peel will not affect the way the perform. Just the way they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are balanced, I had them balanced after I sprayed them, but the lacquer has decided it is crap and doesn't want to be on the wheels any more. They were perfect until I washed the car the other day.

Use wheel cleaner? Might have reacted?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk