Factory Xenon Headlights & Speaker System

iqym

Hi All,

First post on a forum, I have just acquired a 2008 Skoda Superb Laurin & Klement.

1. Which bulb fits in the factory fitted Xenon headlights?

2. Is the fitting process a DIY or garage job?

3. The speakers are distorted and tend to crackle. Can I upgrade the speakers and tweeters but still keep the original Skoda DX Sat Nav head unit in place?

4. Also the car was parked up for a while and the drivers foot well and roof lining was wet after getting into the car. I have also got a 2004 Passat Highline which had the passenger side foot well wet due to the pollen filter housing. Could there be any reason it is happening on the drivers side on the Skoda?

Thank you all in advance.

If headlining is wet you usually have blocked or disconnected sunroof drains.

The DX system doesn't distort until it is really quite loud, are you a bit deaf?!

How would I clear the blockage in the sunroof?

As for the speakers the car is on 187k so I assume the speakers have just been used a lot. Also there was a Parrot System which I removed.

As for being deaf at 24 my hearing is good for now thank god lol.

1 - D2S

2 - Yes, Google it

4 - Look up pinned topic "water ingress" - pretty comprehensive.

Trimis de pe al meu D5803 folosind Tapatalk

Hi,

Thank you for this. Would these be a direct replacement with the original wiring?

Thank you

The JBL speaker and tweeter are the same size as the originals.  When the old tweeter has been removed from its housing, the new one will need to be fixed in place with something like hot glue.

I used mdf mounting rings for the main speakers, but I think the new JBL ones will fit into the original plastic mounts.

The new speakers can easily be connected to the original wiring.

Edited by Tdi1.9

I have the same system on 168K and a few years older than yours, still sounds pretty good.  These can develop problems in the door wiring looms which can give crackly sound and door lock / window issues - from the cables being pulled too tight in the gland that they travel in.  

The system has DSP amp in the boot, and I get the feeling most of the high volume distortion is from the amp maxing out rather than the speakers, but the system has always been good enough for me so I've left it alone - I got far more enjoyment from finding a Phatbox to use with the MFD.

To test the sunroof drains you open the sunroof, open the doors and pour water into the 4 corners of the tray around the roof (you should easily see the drain locations).  The front ones exit into the front door jambs (some rubber "teats" are visible) and the rears to the rear wheelarches.  You should see the water run quickly to the corresponding locations.  If you don't see water any location, search out the teat and give it a little squeeze - sometimes the ends just stick together.  If that doesn't work, some people run something thin down or up the drain to try and clear it, but carefully as the tub can detach and then you have to re-attach it.  You could have a car that someone has already tried this on, and they've disconnected the drain tube at the top... I think that means you've got to get under the headlining to fix it.

How would I clear the blockage in the sunroof?

As for the speakers the car is on 187k so I assume the speakers have just been used a lot. Also there was a Parrot System which I removed.

As for being deaf at 24 my hearing is good for now thank god lol.

The JBL speaker and tweeter are the same size as the originals.  When the old tweeter has been removed from its housing, the new one will need to be fixed in place with something like hot glue.

I used mdf mounting rings for the main speakers, but I think the new JBL ones will fit into the original plastic mounts.

The new speakers can easily be connected to the original wiring.

Great thanks for this....would they also be a direct replacement for the rear doors?

I have the same system on 168K and a few years older than yours, still sounds pretty good.  These can develop problems in the door wiring looms which can give crackly sound and door lock / window issues - from the cables being pulled too tight in the gland that they travel in.  

The system has DSP amp in the boot, and I get the feeling most of the high volume distortion is from the amp maxing out rather than the speakers, but the system has always been good enough for me so I've left it alone - I got far more enjoyment from finding a Phatbox to use with the MFD.

To test the sunroof drains you open the sunroof, open the doors and pour water into the 4 corners of the tray around the roof (you should easily see the drain locations).  The front ones exit into the front door jambs (some rubber "teats" are visible) and the rears to the rear wheelarches.  You should see the water run quickly to the corresponding locations.  If you don't see water any location, search out the teat and give it a little squeeze - sometimes the ends just stick together.  If that doesn't work, some people run something thin down or up the drain to try and clear it, but carefully as the tub can detach and then you have to re-attach it.  You could have a car that someone has already tried this on, and they've disconnected the drain tube at the top... I think that means you've got to get under the headlining to fix it.

Thank you, I will let you know how I get on

Great thanks for this....would they also be a direct replacement for the rear doors?

Rear doors are very much the same as the front, but I'd suggest you try the front first as most they are the ones that will make the most difference.

HI guys can you please tell me how does sound system in skoda suberb mk2  look like..Think i am interesting in is where crossovers are.Are they between speaker and external amp or they are build in speaker or already right signal coming from amp for each speaker?

I will realy apreciate right answer as i am planing to change head unit and this sound system does not work with any other aftermarket head unit because is working with can bus.

So my plan is to bypass skoda amplifier and install new one 6 channel. 2ch for front 2 for rear and 2 for some sub.

But i need to know if i have to put crossovers also or they are in speakers or somewhere in doors as i am not planing to take door covers down i will conect from cables which is under seat concet to factory amp. Thanks guys

Tdi1.9 so how does it work than if crossover are not fitted you can not put 20w in tweeter will blow up or not?

A capacitor is in line with the tweeter to filter out the bass and only allow through the high frequencies. In the Skoda Superb Mk1 it is 4.7 uF. Presumably the same in a VW Passat and Golf Mk4.

Googling "capacitor for tweeter" will give some information, and this:

Edited by Tdi1.9

Tdi1.9 cool thanks for your ansfer i think you can help me with with thing i want to do. I start from begining. I dont like columbus HU sound is not good and also sat nav and many more things so i bought Eonon best model they have as i realy like eonon head units. I instal it but there was no sound. Later i found out that non of aftermarket HU gonna work with skoda sound system which have external amp. As i realy like this HU i am planning to bypass factory amp and instal jbl 6 chanel amp. I will use 1 channel for each door and 2 channels for sub box what i am gonna also buy I have standard upgrade sound system for mk2 skoda superb which have 6 speakers in front and 4 in back. Only think what i dont know is if i need to add crossovers also or i can put straight from jbl amp to speekers. ( I found on ebay 3 way crossowers for front door and 2way for rear doors but if i dont need them than i will not buy... And ofcourse if anyone know how to make Eonon work with factory amp that would be even better.

I've no experience of the Superb Mk2 or the double din head units, but installing the amplifier must be much the same as it always has been.

It seems that the head unit has 5 RCA outputs, one for each door, and one sub output. 

I suspect your existing amp has one output for each door, so that's where four of your new amp outputs go. If the car has only one audio supply for each door there is no possibility to add any crossovers unless you are going to remove the door trim.

The HU sub output will then go to the, presumably bridged, last pair of channels in the new amp.

The Skoda Mk2 section will probably have more head unit expertise.

no columbus does not have rca out..Wires for speakers from HU going in to factory amp for each dor but from factory amp going 10x+ a0* wire for each speaker..So that is what i want find out if amp is filtering signal for tweeters and mids or speakers have some crossowers instaled.

If your amp has four inputs and ten outputs, then it must be filtering the outputs for bass, mid and tweeter as appropriate.  I am surprised that they have done it this way as it will require 3 pairs of cabling to each front door rather than only one if the crossovers had been mounted in each door.

You could find out more about the installation by removing one front door trim (the passenger side is easiest) to find for certain how the three speakers are connected.

The Skoda Mk2 forum is your best bet for finding any more information and expertise.