Radio Wiring again

Hi.   Please help,  Skoda Pick Up Diesel - working truck

Bought cheap radio  from EBay   !!!( I know ! but I wanted USB function)   and will do for me

Took out Blaupunkt  ACR Skoda  - there was no wiring diagram on case etc

As expected wires on new cheapo different but can work all that out

The problem is the live   ( memory) and   live switched feed

I have read the numerous posts and there seems to be all sorts of variations and differing views

I have red constant feed from loom - Felicia remember.  The yellow from original loom is only live with lights on, so presume this was to light up radio at night

I know I can get it all to work off the constant red live BUT  I worry that on newer type radio that there will be drain ( not worried about switch on and off etc but there may be other things  draining power?) 

The new radio has yellow wire with fuse which would normally go to the loom yellow I think, but as stated this is not live until lights   so no use.    The red is constant so that is where I am stuck

I read some have tapped into fusebox etc -    can anyone give me details or examples of what will work?  ( please do not tell me Auto electrician - out of question)  if I cannot do I will just put old radio back

Sorry can't really help but can confirm that the radio will drain unless it has a removable front or something. Mine is always live and unless I take the front off the radio it is on "standby" and drains the battery in a couple days.

Thanks for reply. You confirm by fears

I have no removable front so have to solve problem or forget about new radio.  

Teflon - you usually come up with a solution to most problems

One thing going through mind at present -   Take feed from the constant live red on original loom and join to the yellow memory wire on new radio( fused)  - will this be OK

Then find a switched live -   possibly do mist fan or something that only comes on when key on ( have not thought which one yet)  and then put in line fuse in place and then join to the red on new radio( one that needs switched main feed)

My only worry with that theory is will my constant original red be OK for feeding to the yellow ( thinner) memory wire

Does the radio have some sort of voltage  regulation that only draws a small voltage - or if I had a correct yellow wire would it already have been regulated down before it got to the radio?

What make / model is your new radio?

Put online at least a good photo or scan of the schematic for installation that came with your new radio. I will tell you exactly what and where to connect so that you don't drain the battery and have a neat & safe wiring.

What month / year is your pick-up manufactured?

When you titled this topic using the word "again", what other past radio wiring issue are you referring to?

Edited by RicardoM

you will be fine with it running on the constant live. Some radios have a auto off function. Failing that you can obtain a switched live quite easily if you lift out the glovebox insert you are right on top of the central electrics loom.

Thanks guys

Ricardo M - radio is real cheapo   JSD - 520   Very basic wiring diagram  came with it . I can scan , but not sure how I get this onto post ( computer novice) I will see if I can do  it 

I title post again because when I searched forums earlier there seemed to be a lot of other posts with similar problems and some draining batteries  because they had just used the standard red live which is what stopped me in tracks initially

Pick up is P Reg    1997    Registerd  May 1997  Vin   TMBEHH673V5542012  Eng  080416AEF

1.9 Diesel based on the Diesel Felicia 

Teflon - Thanks looks like my basic idea will work - it was only joining the yellow from new radio I was worried about but as it seems the radio will only draw a small current from the red I should be OK and will pick up a switched live as you suggest

I have drawn the wiring for you. As you can see, you can make a good connection to ign. switch positive by splicing the black wire at connector BE/2 or connector BF/4 in the relays box. I recommend measuring the stand-by current after installation. It should not be higher than 25 mA.

IPCYY1Q.jpg