STOLEN NUMBER PLATE - Shipley area

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but does anyone on here know someone living Shipley way with a mk1 octavia vrs estate?

I'm asking because they've been caught speeding by the police and photographed from the rear with my reg plate on so I've had the letter.

Now I will be able to prove that it wasn't me but my number plate will be going into the police database and any vehicle with that reg plate on will stopped and questioned.

Just bloody annoying and time consuming for me to prove my innocence.

FYI the incident was on 15/1/16

• Like 1

I'd stick this in the Mk1 Octavia section.

Are there photos of your car, showing the number plate - on this forum or any other? Could be that someone's trawled for a suitable number plate to 'clone' onto their car.....

• Like 1

Have you requested the photographic evidence?

Could it be that another Octavia vRS was registered at the same dealer around the same time, and so is perhaps 1 letter different, and it's simply been read wrong?

Edited by softscoop

Pm'd you Ste. Cheers.

I'll pass any info onto the police

Aaron

Got it Aaron - and i'll share with a few mates locally as well.

I certainly hope you get to the bottom of it, one way or another.

Cheers,

Ste.

• Like 1

I expect they have done a few drive offs as well.

It happens around my area all the time, cloned plate = free fuel.

I am amazed at the garages who allow them to put fuel in the car despite them knowing (sometimes) that the same car/person drove off without paying last time.

It's Shipley, West York's isn't it?

Even if caught in Shipley, it could just mean they passing thru...and if in a stolen car with your plates (so hides originally plates as owner would have reported stolen...)

Are police stopping u (and cloned car) coz u reported it now?

When will they stopped this (as they may never catch them)?

I ll keep an eye out for u anyway, as I drive thru Shipley daily :)

My friend also had his reg plate cloned and cloned car spotted in Manchester committed a crime! Eeek!

Could be either I suppose - someone local who's spotted your car is similar to theirs. Or someone who's picked up your plate on an internet search.

Usually there's then an ANPR flag put on that plate.

You could put an identifying mark on yours, a suitable window sticker front and rear would do the trick. Then let the local Police now and they can add that info - that should hopefully speed up the process, if you are stopped. Or avoid them stopping the wrong motor in the first place.

• Like 1

Strange - couldn't find this thread again under MY CONTENT :( :( :(

Anyway, are security bolts for number plates worth their salt?

I always use them until I had to change plates and was surprised by the dealer who swop the plates said "just take seconds to break them off with pliers!" - EEEEK!

I wouldn't bother personally. If they want them, they'll take them. Or knacker them trying, if they're secured on. And in any case, they can just note the plate and get a set made up online anyway!

So security bolts aren't really preventing the issue IMO.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Obtaining a plate online is very easy. Bought my new plates for my road trip (with EU strip) on ebay, didn't need to provide any details, and are very good quality. Bummer that your car's been cloned though. As suggested, add an identifying feature or two: I'd go with perhaps a couple of pieces of reflective tape - they look innocuous and also serve a small safety function. My own car I've retrofitted with DRLs front and have other easily identifiable items.

• 10 months later...
  • ColinD unpinned this topic