Coolant light flashing & turn off

kthned

Hi 

In order to suppement the question I attach a one 53 seconds youtube video to explain the behaviour.

I have Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi 2003. Every morning in the freezing temp ( -5 degree n less) when I turn on the ignition the coolant light flashes just after few seconds and it remain flashing even when i start the motor. Car starting is also kind a jerky as you can see on the video (00:36). All light lit up during the start only at the first attempt but it never happens again during the day (minus battery problem ?).

I keep the car started for couple of minutes and stop the car.

When i restart the motor, there is no coolant light flashing. For reference I am also attaching  the behavior of the start problem. 

Is it a normal behavior ?

https://youtu.be/nQrzVltuS90

It's almost certainly a false warning of low coolant level. Find a wide-bladed, say 6mm or 8mm, screwdriver.

Now, when the engine is cold, take the lid off the expansion bottle and look inside. You should see a couple of metal prongs descending from the side of the lid into the coolant. Rub the screwdriver down each of them 3 or 4 times. Now close the lid, remembering to screw it back down fully.

That should stop the coolant light flashing.

• Like 1

It's almost certainly a false warning of low coolant level. Find a wide-bladed, say 6mm or 8mm, screwdriver.

Now, when the engine is cold, take the lid off the expansion bottle and look inside. You should see a couple of metal prongs descending from the side of the lid into the coolant. Rub the screwdriver down each of them 3 or 4 times. Now close the lid, remembering to screw it back down fully.

That should stop the coolant light flashing.

OK thanks. I will try with the screwdriver. Regarding the jerk startup (00:36) why is that... is it a battery problem  ? 

As above for the coolant light issue - it's a common problem. Also check the coolant level while you're there and top up if necessary (G13 I think).

Looks like it is very slow to turn over, could be the battery and/or starter motor.

It does indeed look slow to start.

I'm not certain about Danish lighting laws, but are the dipped headlights wired through the ignition? If not, try leaving them off until the engine is running. Also try starting with your foot on the clutch.

Check the battery voltage with the engine and ignition off, and look for ~12v. Once the engine is running, you should see about 14v even on idle with the lights on.