100,000 miles of poor reliability in a Skoda Yeti 1.2TSi

Abominable

Well, I've hit 100,000 miles and not without a few issues. Can anyone beat this for a poor reliability record:

1. ABS warning harness failure (warranty)

2. Turbo error (Turbo shim recall done)

3. Turbo error (Turbo shim recall done incorrectly)

4. Near side front wheel bearing failure (warranty)

5. HT Lead failure (HT Leads changed to upgraded design under recall)

6. HT Leads melted to manifold (incorrectly fitted recall work)

7. Drivers seat trim worked loose (warranty)

8. Respray of side sills due to paint chipping (recall)

9. Drivers door hinge worked loose (warranty)

10. Bulb blown warning error despite bulb ok (warranty)

11. Off side front wheel bearing failure (warranty)

12. Brake pad wear plug broken (dealer servicing error)

13. Near side drop bar link failure (warranty)

14. Warped brake discs (due to length of time dealer failed to diagnose broken wheel bearing)

15. Respray of rear boot due to pain blistering (warranty)

16. Head light levellers moving of own accord (never been fixed!)

17. Timing chain failure (warranty)

18. Throttle air intake clogged

19. Near side front brake calipers worn loose (independent warranty)

20. Off side front brake calipers worn loose (independent warranty)

21. Horn failed (independent warranty)

At least the car has been cheap on consumables: Only half way through the second set of brake pads &discs and just about to get my third set of tyres.

This will, however, be a very expensive car to own out of warranty.

Wish me luck for the next 100,000 miles!!

• Like 3

Crikey, you have been unlucky.

Good luck with the next 100k.

In contrast, my Superb has done 117k and only had the heated seats fail.

That's a pain in the backside then.

Colin

• Like 1

The earliest snagging faults, and then the continuing faults and then those appearing later should surely all be resolved and then the FL should be 100% reliable and problem free,  great Quality Control and no future problems!

So lets see in another 2 years or so how much better the early F/L's are.

This will, however, be a very expensive car to own out of warranty.

Wish me luck for the next 100,000 miles!!

Or, now all this has been done it might run for the next 100k without missing a beat...
  • Like 1

Abominable, you have been MOST unfortunate! Most Yeti owners have told stories of delight that the car lived up to its (deserved) reputation for reliability - see AutoExpress Driver Power survey where it really shone for several years on reliability.

Mine has covered 45,000 miles in two and a half years and the only warranty job has been replacement of one of the rear door external transparent 'foils'. Before the warranty runs out, I'm going to get the road wheel centre badges replace due to 'while worm'. AND I'm very particular, ask my wife.

• Like 1

@ awfabia - Yes, I forgot, I had the 'white worm' recall on the badges too!

@ GoneOffskiroottoot - You are correct, a lot of the early work was done by Arnold Clark (Inverness). They made so many errors I eventually had to instruct a lawyer and get onto Skoda UK. Ultimately I just walked away from them never to return. Some of the appalling work they did is listed in other posts I have made in the past. 

@ Fab Estate and rriggs - I am going by the hope that everything must surely be 'put to bed' by now and that the next 100k will be trouble free, though I did say that at 20k as well!

I would have got shot of the car by now had it not suited my needs so well. I use it basically as a van (rear seats haven't been in since new), thereby I can lug about bikes, skis, furniture whatever. It's frugal, pleasant to drive, refined, comfortable and the clearance is great for negotiating the dodgy tracks that I have had to do in the course of my work in the Highlands. 

Just a shame it has been such a pig in terms of reliability.

Please all give a little prayer for my Yeti so that I can write a glowing post in another 100k after no faults. :-)

• Like 1

Also, forgot to mention the 16" alloys I use for the winter tyres were replaced due to corrosion too!

So:

22. White worm on badges (warranty)

23. Corrosion on 16" alloys (warranty)

Edited by Abominable
  • Like 1

A sorry tale of problems, for sure. Bucking the trend though if surveys are anything to go by (although some surveys do show reliability of older cars is only average). However - has the car ever left you stranded by the roadside or been recovered? That to me is the true measure of reliability. Yes - it's a pain having to book it in to the dealer, get a courtesy car etc, but far more of a pain being left stranded with a car that won't start or is not drivable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@ Falmouthboy. Have had the recovery boys out once and been in limp hime mode 5 times. Two holidays, two business meetings and a trip to see family had to be abandoned. 'Limp home' not quite as bad as a full recovery but still a major pain in the ***!

So, nobody else had an experience like this? 

About half of the problems I've had have now been dealt with in the latest models (turbo shim, timing chain now a belt, side sill paint etc) and I accept a lot of the problems I have had stem from Arnold Clark being incompetent but that leaves things like the suspension drop bar link, wheel bearings, paint defects and brake caliper issues which, as far as I can tell, are still the same parts / design as mine.

It's an important question for me because I am considering replacing it but want to be absolutely sure I'm not going to just get more of the same. I would like to hear genuine experiences, (please, no glowing reports from people who are actually in the trade!). 

• Like 1

I would have got shot of the car by now had it not suited my needs so well. I use it basically as a van (rear seats haven't been in since new), thereby I can lug about bikes, skis, furniture whatever. It's frugal, pleasant to drive, refined, comfortable and the clearance is great for negotiating the dodgy tracks that I have had to do in the course of my work in the Highlands. 

As I mentioned recently in another thread, there is a van version of the Yeti, pictures of it have been on here but I can't find them now.  IIRC it was from Ireland but may be available over here.

Edited by x19

So, nobody else had an experience like this? 

About half of the problems I've had have now been dealt with in the latest models (turbo shim, timing chain now a belt, side sill paint etc) and I accept a lot of the problems I have had stem from Arnold Clark being incompetent but that leaves things like the suspension drop bar link, wheel bearings, paint defects and brake caliper issues which, as far as I can tell, are still the same parts / design as mine.

It's an important question for me because I am considering replacing it but want to be absolutely sure I'm not going to just get more of the same. I would like to hear genuine experiences, (please, no glowing reports from people who are actually in the trade!).

Think I would seriously consider Honda HRV/CRV or Toyota Rav4 as a serious reliable contender on your next car. Know a few people and they haven't had much other than normal running costs.

• Like 1

Lets face it. Most new cars are good, but it is still a lottery. Honda/Toyota are mentioned above.

A friend at work bought a 2 yr old crv. He had 12 months of problems [hell he described it as] and now all has been fine for the last two+ years.

We owned a Toyota, admittedly an Aygo, for 6 yrs. Lots of town driving and two sons learning to drive in it. Amidst the Toyota scandal that kicked off we had only two problems with the car, both dealt under warranty. A glove box clip needed to be replaced and the water pump leaked.

If I wanted just reliabilty it would be something from Japan, but I want more than that, I want something fun. quirky, practical, makes me smile.

Colin

• Like 1