100,000 miles of poor reliability in a Skoda Yeti 1.2TSi

Abominable

'Simply Clever'.

the VWG plays a numbers game, they gamble on just individuals not knowing what goes on,

but now Social Media and Forums caught them out.

When they have Fundamental Design & Component Choice and Manufacturing issues, they keep a little bit silent,

Shoooo,, say nothing.

Mushrooms,  keep them in the dark, shovel them sh!t3.    

VW Staff, all called Tommy, Deaf, Dumb and Blind, 

Have a Service Campaign, a Secret Service Campaign, replace some parts, do a software update, rebuild a few engines, 

do a Short Engine replacement, a Breather Mod,  then discontinue the engine, bring out an updated one.

So the original owners might or might not get shorted out, and then the used buyer , then no Warranty.

Goodwill Gestures, and Extended Warranty Companies say , there was a known issue.;

Too right, VW Replaced more than 20% of the Early Engines and even replaced replacement engines, 

yet never admitted an issue.

The Motoring Press and Journalists never pull up VW, only HonestJohn, and often he gets it wrong.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

This is there biggest case of never owning up, 

Twincharger Engines 2009-2014,  Engine of the year under 1400cc 5 years,

160ps and 180-185ps failures are unbelievable in how many there are.

Now those that own them out of Warranty and some even with Extended Warranty are stuffed, and some are under 35,000 miles.

Some have bought a car with an already replaced engine and it is failing.

another one VW were not admitting.

http://adamlewin.co.uk/vw-mk5-golf-tsi-engine-timing-chain-problem

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Kia & Hyundai do OK for Residuals & Reliability, as good as many other Manufacturers.

What might matter to Hyundai & Kia in the UK/EU is repeat buyers or those leasing, and the Customers After Sale Satisfaction 

and how any Warranty Issues or Recalls / Service Campaigns are dealt with.

What matters really is what does happen, and not what Surveys show and then Manufacturers think the Media Coverage is enough, 

never bother how the Dealerships actually perform.

It is good there are choices and plenty of Vokswagen Group Models to choose from.

'VW Group An Honest and Open Corporation, never lies or cheats the Customers or misleads.'

*I bet they wish they could say that in adverts without the ASA taking action.*

• Like 1

As said - the game is changing. Social media through forums like this give manufactures of every product less opportunity to hide. I'm sure that they all monitor social media and make a business based decision on how to respond in each instance. However, although we are a good barometer of customer opinion, we are not on the radar of most owners so our influence is limited. However, the high profile of 'diesel gate' is a different matter - make the News at 10 for the wrong reason and then heads start to roll!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 to #49 and #50.

However , Kia could offer a 20 year warranty and I wouldn't stampede to it, because They've yet to build a vehicle I'd like to own...

Beating all class contenders in Australia (incl Mercedes GLC, Volvo XC90. Jag, Passat etc) was the Kia Sorrento 7seater SUV.

The previous owners of our house drag a massive dual-axle caravan around Oz for 3 months every year with a 4 year old model without financial pain, and

They are becoming sophisticated too..........that's the problem(?)

How did your brake calipers become loose?

Who knows for sure, but the brake discs had developed a severe shudder under braking which the dealer failed to rectify for many thousands of miles. This, I was told, was due to a warped brake disc (certainly when they were changed the brake shudder went). If it was the case that the discs were warped then I guess that this would have put a pulsing load onto the caliper mounts and thus they would have worn loose? They ended up rattling like a hackney cab on anything but the smoothest of roads.

So, you could ask, what caused the discs to warp and develop a shudder, especially as they were practically new.....

The casting quality of the discs, or hard breaking to a stop and holding them on causing an annealing (hardening) of that spot on the discs and warping.

Failure to put the pre-load springs in with the new pads resulting in rattling pads NOT loose calliper sounds more likely.

In a 'crash stop' don't leave the brakes on - use the handbrake.

• Like 1

The casting quality of the discs, or hard breaking to a stop and holding them on causing an annealing (hardening) of that spot on the discs and warping.

Failure to put the pre-load springs in with the new pads resulting in rattling pads NOT loose calliper sounds more likely.

In a 'crash stop' don't leave the brakes on - use the handbrake.

Interesting. I never had cause to brake hard on those discs and generally brake very gently so maybe they had a casting problem. I wondered if the many miles driven on undiagnosed (and consequently unfixed for an extended time) wheel bearings maybe caused the brake judder to begin? When the bearings got really bad the whole front-end was shaking considerably when turning in one direction at speed. Anyway all fixed now, so it's all 'water under the bridge'.

Replacing the calipers definitely resolved the rattling noise though, which didn't surprise me. You could actually move the calipers with your hands - they were quite loose!

Edited by Abominable

Interesting. I never had cause to brake hard on those discs and generally brake very gently so maybe they had a casting problem. I wondered if the many miles driven on undiagnosed (and consequently unfixed for an extended time) wheel bearings maybe caused the brake judder to begin? When the bearings got really bad the whole front-end was shaking considerably when turning in one direction at speed. Anyway all fixed now, so it's all 'water under the bridge'.

Replacing the calipers definitely resolved the rattling noise though, which didn't surprise me. You could actually move the calipers with your hands - they were quite loose!

I've never heard of lose calipers, the bolts holding have a substantial torque figure.

I've never heard of lose calipers, the bolts holding have a substantial torque figure.

Well they definitely were. They had a good 2-3mm of play. New ones are fine though.

Wonder what will go wrong next...?!!  :'(

Well they definitely were. They had a good 2-3mm of play. New ones are fine though.

Wonder what will go wrong next...?!!  :'(

Whoever does the servicing should be avoided IMO.

The greatest cause of warped discs is people who sit with their foot on the brake after coming to a stop at the end of a motorway slip road, or steep hill, traffic lights etc.

As Ryman says in post #58, Use the handbrake to avoid the build up of heat where the pads are clamping the disks whilst the rest of the disc cools down.

(It also means you don't dazzle the driver behind with your brake lights at night - one of my pet hates!!)

• Like 3

Further to a previous missive on WARPED DISCS

I suspect the 'hot-spot' has an 'annealing' (localised hardening) effect which explains the fact that skimming/grinding tends to be temporary.

That hardened spot doesn't wear down at the same rate as the remainder of the disc - so it reoccures after some wear.

Buy new discs.

cough cough

annealing = softening effect

same difference mind, or possibly.

m

from someone who never has suffered from warped discs.

Oops

Same effect?

Neither have I

Ryman,

(i) No "dig" intended.

(ii) I kin be a trifle pedantic, in respect o wor proper use o the English language, like.

specially in respect o the meaning o words,

i.e. Humid is NOT Clammy,

High temperatures OR fornicating hot, NOT hot temperatures (me mither was an English tracher so it rubbed off, a bit)

It is just ICE, quite clear in colour, not BLACK, the other white stuff is merely hoar frost, there is a difference.

"the car skidded off the road/ and or collided with x,y or z",

NO! you, or the Driver, failed to anticipate or lost control of the vehicle (for whatever reason)

Dinny go murdering wor wonderful precisely subtly expressive language on me.

etc etc

(iii) I also loathe, hate & detest, those lazy slovenly driving gits who sit with their foot on the brake pedal, thereby effectively "lamping" individuals like me who suffer from poor night vision (rods and cones & all connected with being short sighted), especially when they use an automatic gearbox as an excuse.

(iv) I also like regional dialect(s) and colourful speech (& blame the Readers Digest for that affliction)

(v) mostly I simply detest stupid.

(vi) specially when they attempt  Billy Connolly's "a big boy did it and run away" type excuses, for motoring failures.

Cheer again

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg
  • Like 2

The greatest cause of warped discs is people who sit with their foot on the brake after coming to a stop at the end of a motorway slip road, or steep hill, traffic lights etc.

As Ryman says in post #58, Use the handbrake to avoid the build up of heat where the pads are clamping the disks whilst the rest of the disc cools down.

(It also means you don't dazzle the driver behind with your brake lights at night - one of my pet hates!!)

I have never sat with the car stationary with my foot on the brake (except for momentary stops, of course) whether after a heavy brake or not. Furthermore, I only brake heavily when I absolutely have to, otherwise I use acceleration sense and forward thinking to avoid braking heavily in the first place. When I do come to a halt I moderate my braking so that the car does not jolt to a halt. I then apply the handbrake whilst pushing in the ratchet knob.

I couldn't call myself an Advanced Driver if I did not do these things. All 103,000 miles in this car have been driven only by me in this way.

So, the warped discs had nothing at all to do with the aforementioned braking style.

Edited by Abominable
  • Like 1

Talk about dazzling lights, my pet hate is the increasing prevalence of drivers with their front fogs on in bright daylight. Around here about 1 driver in 20 is flaunting the law in this way. Then I got thinking.....

It is an offence to drive with front fogs lights on when visibility, due to inclement weather, is NOT less than 100m. The offence is liable to a non-endorsable £50 on-the-spot fine. If every driver was fined, could we pay off the UK deficit?

Well there are 34.5 million cars on the UK roads. If across the UK 1 in 20 are driving with their front fogs on (bloody idiots!) then that would be 1.725 million fines at £50 each bringing in a hefty £86.25M in revenue to the Exchequer. 

That may seem a lot until you equate it to the budget deficit of £69.5 BILLION in 2015. But at least (if my calcs are correct!) the fines would pay off 0.001% of it. But sadly only 0.00005% of the UK debt which is £1.5 TRILLION!

So, it's looks like we are stuck with a financial crisis and annoying front fog light abuse for some time to come!

[sorry - went a bit off topic there!]

Edited by Abominable

As per another thread, whilst not advocating it, some of us have said that we don't get dazzled by fog lights as they are designed to aim low down, but more often by badly adjusted headlights.

To have front fogs on (if the same as the Yeti) they must be consciously turning their headlights on and pulling the switch out for the fogs which would be a bit strange, unless of course they have a separate switch for the fogs? 

Some of the DLR lights are more of a problem than fog lights as they are so bright.

As far as rear light go LEDs can be a pain at night as they are also very bright. 

Properly installed DRLs should 'dip' when low beam comes on.....some people though, think headlights are for seeing potholes and don't turn them on till way too late - doubling down on stupidity.

I have never sat with the car stationary with my foot on the brake (except for momentary stops, of course) whether after a heavy brake or not. Furthermore, I only brake heavily when I absolutely have to, otherwise I use acceleration sense and forward thinking to avoid braking heavily in the first place. When I do come to a halt I moderate my braking so that the car does not jolt to a halt. I then apply the handbrake whilst pushing in the ratchet knob.

I couldn't call myself an Advanced Driver if I did not do these things. All 103,000 miles in this car have been driven only by me in this way.

So, the warped discs had nothing at all to do with the aforementioned braking style.

I wasn't saying that you sit with your foot on the brake whilst stationary, merely that this is the greatest cause of warped discs.

As an Advanced Driver, I'm sure you do indeed drive with mechanical sympathy for your vehicle, as well as consideration for other road users. Excellent!

So, it would appear that in your case, "heavy brake foot" is not the issue here, although conversely, occasional hard braking is sometimes recommended in order to clean up discs and pads that otherwise are only gently used and become glazed or rusty.

Incidentally, whilst it's difficult to extract the information from official analysis of MOT failures (because all bulb failures are lumped together in the statistics), MOT testers that I know all agree that brake light bulb failure is now the single most frequent fault found on cars submitted for testing - and the cause can only be the number of people who sit with their foot on the brake at traffic lights etc rather than using the handbrake. 

Unfortunately, this doesn't help solve your issue so I'd better move on!

John H

• Like 1