Scout Traction control warning - Haldex?

Hi all I have a 2007 Octavia Scout (Petrol) with 107K on the clock.

Over the last month I've been getting the traction control warning light on the dashboard showing intermittently. It's mostly on from when i start but occasionally doesn't come on (no discernible reason) and, if it doesn't come on when initially starting may last the entire journey off or may come on again during the journey. 

Took it to my local independent garage, they said that the wires to the Haldex Control Unit were corroded, cleaned them up (charged me £105 for the pleasure) and sent me on my way. Warning light off. Two weeks later the warning reoccurred.  So i took it back and they told me that the Haldex Control Unit needed replacing - a cool £970 incl VAT. Apparently the error being logged is '052C CAN Message, 4-wheel drive; No signal'. They were pretty clear that this was an electrical issue.

This morning, I had an informal chat with the Skoda main dealer who suggested replacing the Haldex oil at a cost of around £200 - haven't yet got any independent quotes. 

So, I'm somewhat confused. The fault is very clearly intermittent. For example, today I've driven one 20 mile leg with the light off, one shorter distance where it was initially off and then came on 1/2 way through the trip (went the road was a bit rough) and the rest of the day (~30 miles) it has been on.

Clearly replacing the Haldex oil isn't going to solve an electrical problem.  Likewise, I would have though that if the Haldex Control Unit was kaput it was kaput.

The fact that the fault is intermittent suggest to me that the fault is a dodge connection somewhere (there has been a lot of water around and on the roads).   

Any thoughts/pointers/etc. would be very welcome.

Thanks.

See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/335548-octavia-4x4-haldex-problem/

Also, avoid the dealer offering to change the Haldex oil.

Firstly as you mention this isn't going to cancel the TC light, secondly £200 is daylight robbery. My dealer charges closer to £100.

By the way, your car should already have had two Haldex oil changes (every 40,000 miles on a 2007 model), a service item which is nearly always missed / forgotten.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...