GolfChick and Flodoms shared project thread

GolfChick

There didn't seem any point in doing separate project threads so here's a joint one! I've come from a background of driving, owning and modifying a mk2 golf, mk3 golf, mk4 golf, audi a3 sportback and then a VW transporter and finally ended up owning a Ford Galaxy. The galaxy then failed its MOT and due to the fact I loathed the ground it rolled on it was listed on ebay and flogged off for someone more prepared to fix it up. Decided with my other half to have his yellow mk1 fabia vrs as he'd just picked up a LE/SE skoda fabia vrs, his third vrs!

So far from my point of view I've fitted some black wingbars and thule bike rack as I'm a huge biker and it has to be workable for both myself and my dog. I've also picked up a complete set of wiper blades (ooooooh) and it already has black grille and all different wheel centres and badges front and back from when the OH owned it.

Have a set of projectors and HID's to fit to the headlights and will be spraying the headlight surround black while they're apart. Have a shorter aerial (for both of us) en route and a new NSF door lock to fix to make at start at the three door locks that have issues. Also have a new rear calliper on the to buy list as the N/S sticks and pinching a bit of the green paint we have in the garage so will then need to clean up and repaint all the others as well! Will be picking up a matching set of UK legal pressed plates and sticking them on.

In the future I'd ideally like to get the wheels refurbed and sprayed black to continue the black and yellow theme. Would also like to change the interior as the grey colour doesn't work with my lifestyle of biking and walking the dog and life in general!

IMG_4832_zpstwpoi5we.jpg

IMG_4829_zpspceei7rh.jpg
IMG_4833_zps6xypgis0.jpg
IMG_4819_zpslhvylmcb.jpg
IMG_4828_zpstxx5521q.jpg
IMG_4827_zps0ziagg4x.jpg

With help from my other half I have finally got to upgrade to a mk1 se. My 3rd vrs as mentioned above. Driven all sorts before and have a second/summer car, a 1990 Honda CRX, in the garage which will be back on the road in April.

Blue vrs has been serviced, lower arm bushes done, tracking, fixed rear window mechanism and spent up to my original budget having some paintwork done.

HIDs, led sidelights, led number plate lights, led glovebox and boot light done too.

I have a new splitter to fit, plan to paint grille too, fit new badges front and rear and wheel centres too. Want to get wheels refurbed, still deciding on colour, stick to silver or a light grey.

Longer term would like to get front bumper and bonnet redone due to a number of stone chips, maybe speaker upgrade.
  • Like 4

Two polo aerials cut down and fitted yesterday 

IMG_4844_zpsn5sjjwwd.jpg

IMG_4843_zpskeleqcti.jpg

spare headlights have turned up and really happy with them so will start to polish the glass and then strip them apart
  • Like 1

What do you mean cut down?

How does that work?

I believe I am right in saying, the thread isn't quite long enough sticking out of the bottom of the polo aerial so you just have to trim it back slightly so it is a nice fit on the fabia base.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

I know what you mean, Im paranoid that the bike will drop off but Im slowly getting used to the rattle sounds of it. I cant put my bike in the boot as something rather large is in there on her way to the trails with me. What bike do you ride? very lucky living in Scotland, i tried to relocate there last year but failed :-(

12184029_10156250698970010_1273190671937

I got mine painted with 3 coats a week ago, I seen a paint chip today already...

Halfords plastic primer and Halfords satin black! No expense spared! Will see how long before first chip appears!

I ride a hard tail but it's just a 2011 GT Avalanche 1.0.
It's pretty low spec compared to most bikes i see at outdoor centres, but it's not broke yet

Can you get the bike onto your rack and secured on your own, or is it a 2 person job?
I can see with your huge dog you won't have as much room in the back as me lol!

Black grills look quite good as well. Seen a few gloss ones before, but the satin seems to look a lot better.

• Like 1

ahhh yeah i think I'm comparatively a bike snob! Nah its a one person job which is good as I generally ride alone, get the arm in the right position and its soon clipped up so you can let go. Although having said that when I load up Im stood on a kerb but not on my way back. Although being a bike snob my hardtail only weighs 12.5kg and the full suss isn't much more than that in its summer mode either. I did think I'd struggled with the weight, having fairly poor upper body but I've had no problem at all.

• Like 1

Final tweak to the grille area, decided to paint the grille badge satin black too. I like it!

Removed the rear badges too, bit disappointed with marks left in paint. Will decide what to do next with that issue.

e2c3c9c6857ff956ca2895de32221bdf_zpsvh0q

Managed to get some tinkering done today, always had the outline left from the fabia badge that had been removed and I couldn't stand to look at it when its been cleaned but didnt want chrome either so sourced a matching pair of badges in black for the rear. Also started work on the retro projectors, slightly polished up the glass but its not as good as I hoped so ill be fitting them back to the car and doing it properly there instead, cut the slot for the shutter wiring and slightly altered the shroud so it will clear the headlight glass as I wanted a smooth shroud not one with notches. 

IMG_4869_zpszzin6pbl.jpg

IMG_4867_zpstontvlur.jpg
IMG_4866_zpsms4qm1ol.jpg
  • Like 1

I cant put my bike in the boot as something rather large is in there on her way to the trails with me. 

I used to ride a lot (I'm a retired triathlete) and I found the safest and most secure way to transport my bike was to take the wheels off and then stand it up behind the front seats with one wheel on either side. Took up a very small amount of room and, more importantly, was inside the car and therefore safe from prying eyes and thieves (the bike cost more than the car!). Might not work as well with a muddy MTB though!

The bikes you probably fit in the car like that were probably smaller, bearing in mind I have 780mm wide bars not counting everything else I have to carry plus a 37kg dog!

Headlight projectors I got some h1 mini off a shop I always use for all my retrofits and LEDs.

I'd be interest to see how you fit the covers in the back and what the sidelights look like by themselves. I can't decide whether to wire up the main beam to be my sidelight so it can be seen better.