GolfChick and Flodoms shared project thread

GolfChick

Basically take the shine off the chrome.

Rub it down with Halfords wet and dry 240 paper until chrome is dull.

Wipe it down and dry.

Few coats of Halfords plastic primer.

Few coats of Halfords Satin black, up to you on finish of course, Matt or Gloss?

Will see how the prep/paint stands up to use and mileage.

Phil

Ps No I don't work for Halfords!

Sealed all 4 doors today, just because I know it needs doing at some point.

So discovered that at least 3 doors have had work done before because the back of the pop rivets have been left in the doors and could been seen through the drain holes!

Why would you have the membrane panels off and not bother to remove the old rivets from the bottom of the door! Now I know they are there it is very annoying!!

Rant over

Edited by flodoms

Picked up a brand new pair of covers from Skoda and spent a half hour after our run cutting the holes for the wiring grommets. Almost at the point to seal the glass back on but need to convince myself to try as I'm not 100% sure that the glass and surround will fit over my shrouds at the minute. May be forced to get some smaller shrouds if they dont fit

1461ac6c-99c1-4471-aaca-78f97b8a570a_zps

Edited by GolfChick
  • Like 1

Borrowed a polisher and picked up a cutting compound and smaller pad to try and improve the current headlights. Happy with the results and encourages me about what the spare set will look like once they're fitted and finished off with polisher.

IMG_4892_zpsbglzyrsv.jpg

IMG_4897_zpsnddrshmj.jpg
IMG_4896_zpsozovgfzg.jpg
IMG_4895_zpsghprl4m6.jpg
IMG_4894_zps7tzanvmn.jpg
IMG_4898_zpsmejpb2lt.jpg
IMG_4899_zps1o2eaanl.jpg
IMG_4900_zpshfqzbxw1.jpg
  • Like 1

unfortunately the last shroud wasn't going to work, it didnt leave anywhere near enough clearance in such a small headlight so really the only viable option was the mini gatling shroud. Stripped it apart AGAIN and fitted the new shroud. Everything is in place now bar the headlight level motors as the spare headlights didnt come with them. I've paid for a pair so when we have one spare set of headlights left whoever we sell them too will mean its full complete set and should save faff time. Hopefully get them fit by end of the week.

30A7FAF2-8892-4DF1-AF2F-2ADB70A6385B_zps

Edited by GolfChick
  • Like 1

No photos to update but spend this afternoon in the workshop stripping down the door to replace the passenger lock. It needed doing as it jammed at the weekend then randomly released so I left it unlocked until today! Went fairly smoothly apart from forgetting to plug in the door lock after pop riveting the panel on! Some jiggery pokery meant we managed to plug it in without removing again! On wards and upwards to the headlights again!

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Not decided on wheel colour yet.

Refurb and standard would look good, but is it a bit boring.

I don't want to end up feeling I have gone to dark with the wrong choice of grey/anthracite/gunmetal options.

Will wait until Easter hols and get them done then I think.

• Like 2

Finally headlights done and added, headlight adjusters were knackered on one side which meant pliers to adjust. The nearside has a slight angle to the beam which I would of liked to fix but its ok for now til I work out a way of figuring it out.

C9AFC91E-398C-406A-9EAB-6F065CF07771_zps

BFE2923E-5A55-4F1A-A4CC-D0FEA55548EE_zps
111BBA86-9633-4B90-9FBB-22803809B1C1_zps
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping I don't have any issues with the angle of the projector on the set I'm making at the moment. I've also added a relay so that I use halogen high beam whilst the dipped beam is off and bi-xenon when the dipped beam is on. It's only 3 wires and a bit of solder.

Was the original projector you had in a 3" one?

The only difference was the shroud rather than the whole projector unit. Its the mini h1 projector and I think is technically maybe 2.5". 

No new developments really, fitted under seat storage to the drivers seat but wasn't worth taking a photo of. Finally had nice enough weather to clean the nana car and took the opportunity to use some polish on the headlights and apply the head light sealant to UV protect it. Then took it to the wyre forest to get the bike muddy!

IMG_5019_zpscuio7p9w.jpg

IMG_5012_zpsuia4kafq.jpg
  • Like 1

Looks good, always liked the lemon yellow fabia. Had one from new (06) until last year when I got ran in to on a roundabout and it was written off. Fit my headlights this afternoon, I'm impressed so far.