Canton sound system, worth it?

As per the title, I made an order for my new Octavia yesterday but I didn't add it. I can still add it on and pay the extra tomorrow but I'm not sure if its worth it or not

Thoughts?

I dunno really...I gather the stock audio has improved a bit since the intro of the MIB2 systems....Ive never had a problem with sound quality on the stock system in my earlier MIB1 equipped car, rather a lack of volume on bass heavy tracks like the system is doing something to protect the speakers.

Ive had MIB1 and MIB2 systems in Golfs as well and they are much better in this regard.

TBH Id rather the Winter Pack and Folding/Dimming Mirrors if were talking a vRS.

Not a bad system. I have it in my used vrs 63 plate. Had I have had the choice. I would have had other more useful items.for the cost of it. Sound quality is good. Comparable to the bang olufson in my previous audi.

Do a search on Canton and you'll see many posts on the subject. Depends if you want to spend £500 on it. I think it's a good thing to have. Then again I have never had a Corsa with a boot filled to the gunwales with massive speakers so what would I know

• Like 1

My car was a cancelled order so the spec was decided for me, having lived with Canton for two years now, it may be nice but I would happily sacrifice it and put the cash towards either SatNav or leather seats.

It was certainly well worth the £400 over standard in a 2014 car.
If the price has crept up and the standard kit has been improved then it's less of a good buy but it depends how much music you listen to whether it's good for you.

I was a bit dissapointed with it, the canton, tbh. The Harmon kardon in my previous 3-series was a different class. It is good but not outstanding.

Because I did not like the stock system on an MiB 1 Octavia hire car I used once, I opted for canton.

A few people say the MiB 1 does some sound clipping to protect the speakers, an upgrade to the latest firmware goes someway to rectify this. It might be psychological, but I have decided since updating the firmware made my canton sound better.

Always going to be subjective, so bring some music you like down to the dealer and try it out in a stock car. If you can live with it save the money. Wish now I had got a heated windscreen, so give that some thought.

I bet you didn't get a BMW Harmon Kardon upgrade for £400 though.

Actually its probably not far off that.  Its £675 now as a standalone option, but if you get it as part of the M Sport + pack its much cheaper.

• Like 2

I purchased a cancelled order car, and never got the canton.

The standard stereo on my MY15 is pretty dire. Had the headunit not been linked into the whole car, it would have been upgraded by now.

Personally i suggest getting a CD/SD Card/etc of your favourite tunes, and trying them out in a standard/canton car, and see what you think.

I did what you said, I went there to try it. It doesn't add much to the MIB2 speakers. I asked about the sound system on the older MIB1 and the dealer told me that the older MIB1 speakers were replaced in the 2 and they're much better sounding than the 1. I have since decided against it as I expected it to do more than it was doing. He also said if you have the MIb1 system then it's infinitely better and therefore worth it to upgrade with an older car.

• Like 1

Just had my model year 2014 with Canton serviced today and borrowed a brand new car without Canton for the day.

Even though I think Canton lacks a powerfull bass, I still think it is well worth the price. There's a very noticeable difference to the standard system.

• Like 1

Just had my model year 2014 with Canton serviced today and borrowed a brand new car without Canton for the day.

Even though I think Canton lacks a powerfull bass, I still think it is well worth the price. There's a very noticeable difference to the standard system.

Try moving the sound focus to the driver or just the front, put the bass up slightly and turn the subwoofer to about 7...sounds pretty bassy with the right song!

• Like 1

The inability to hear sub in back is a common problem, can't complain as this and satnav was already specified in my used car.

With both satnav unit entertainment system and canton, works really well IMO but then I didn't spec them bought new, someone else did. I'd probably not buy if on top of a separate car, bu then I'd probably not pay full price for the car !

If anyone came up with a slight improvement on the sub but using same or similar assembly/space I'd have one, just a slight gripe for me that the bass thump could be a touch better.

Still well better than my Fabia 1's stereo ( which in itself isn't poverty, a dual din Pioneer AVIC710BT 50Wx4 through std speakers only though - I don't think is a touch on this).

Its not a loud boys stereo, but just as well glad it isn't really.

The inability to hear sub in back is a common problem, can't complain as this and satnav was already specified in my used car.

With both satnav unit entertainment system and canton, works really well IMO but then I didn't spec them bought new, someone else did. I'd probably not buy if on top of a separate car, bu then I'd probably not pay full price for the car !

If anyone came up with a slight improvement on the sub but using same or similar assembly/space I'd have one, just a slight gripe for me that the bass thump could be a touch better.

Still well better than my Fabia 1's stereo ( which in itself isn't poverty, a dual din Pioneer AVIC710BT 50Wx4 through std speakers only though - I don't think is a touch on this).

Its not a loud boys stereo, but just as well glad it isn't really.

Strangely enough, I had a MK1 Fabia vRS, and left the standard speakers in it - ran with a really top end Alpine head unit, Vibe Sub / Amp and used the HPF / LPF to select the frequencies that went to the speakers / Sub and it managed really well, even sounded quite good!

• Like 1

Try moving the sound focus to the driver or just the front, put the bass up slightly and turn the subwoofer to about 7...sounds pretty bassy with the right song!

Naah... It really isn't that bassy.

Try an Audi A3 with their 10 speaker soundsystem (not the B&O). It's much better and also much cheaper.

I am not unhappy with my Canton, it makes a big difference to the standard system, but it lacks in the bass-department.

Edited by citembe

My Dad had a really nicely spec'd A5 Sportback a few year ago that had the Audi sound system so 9 speakers plus sub in the boot...sounded fantastic...better than the Harmon Kardon system in his later F21 1 series.

Audi systems are usually v good....only oe ive been a bit disappointed with was the B&0 in the A5...to my ears the Audi sound system sounded better...certainly alot bassier.

Edited by pipsypreturns

Naah... It really isn't that bassy.

Try an Audi A3 with their 10 speaker soundsystem (not the B&O). It's much better and also much cheaper.

I am not unhappy with my Canton, it makes a big difference to the standard system, but it lacks in the bass-department.

Well I agree there are more "bassy" systems out there, but it depends what you want really. Sure it doesn't kick you in the back of the seat, but overall it's a really balanced system in my opinion.

Not tried the Audi one, but it's certainly better than the Bose system in my friend's 2006 A3!

I wonder if anyone has tried "upgrading" the canton to the VW system, 5G0035621

Surely can't take much to port after the spare wheel subwoofer....assuming its much difference from the somewhat ineffective Canton one.

I appreciate it very much. But not for the so called subwoofer which is not a sub woofer, but for the amazing clarity.

A real sub woofer needs to move huge volumes of air and "sounds" from a few Hz up to 50Hz or less (not from...), and this is not certainly the case. But anyway and IMHO a sub isn't so useful in a car.

HTH,

Edited by Genoa1893