noise from aircon or belt tensioner area

Lately i am hearing some noise (not belt squeal) from belt tensioner for aircon or aircon pully area.

Is there something else there beside this to be considered?

And how easy is to replace tensioner or pully - do i need to put it into service position or is it duable from underneath?

appreciated..

1.9, 115, 2007

If the car has been properly treated, putting the front into its service position is a really quick job. I wouldn't mess around trying to work on the aux belt tensioners without pulling the front.

Check the sprag clutch in the alternator pulley first.

rotodiesel.

As roto says, service position makes access a doddle.

From my experience doing this work on my drive:

The noise is quite likely the pulley,  Changing pulley means alternator out if you don't put it in service position (even with service position, it is easier to change pulley with the correct tool clamped in a vice, and a good long 1/2" ratchet / breaker bar)

Getting the alternator out without service position involves a long 19mm spanner to release the aux belt tensioner, and dropping the viscous fan off the engine, resting it (gently and with some card) against the rad.  For that I needed a "pin wrench" counterhold tool as I have an automatic (there is a sandpaper trick if you have a manual).

The tensioner assembly has a limited service life (60K according to the manufacturer), and if your pulley is sqeaking then the tensioner will be taking a hammering, so it might be worth doing that too (I did).  It looks like you'd need to be Houdini to get the tensioner out without putting it into service position, so the front really needs to come forward for that.

Edited by jimbof

guys ..thanks for feedback

appreciated..

but to my checks the alternator pully is fine even the tensioner seams to be in order

i got noise in the bottom ...as it can be seen from the picture where it says  6mm allen

so the tensioner or aircon ? - and if this can be changed from underneth w/o service position?

thx

belts.jpg

• 2 weeks later...