Media Player File Formats & ID Tags

Citigopher

.... I get the 'write protected' message - so stuck.  

I've never heard of using a printer as an external drive but anyway, I suspect that you've got the SD card 'write protected'. There's a little sliding switch on the side of the card that stops accidental over writing or deletion of stuff on the card.

p.s. - or maybe it's just that the card slot on your printer is like mine and *only* for the purpose of printing from and cannot be used in this way. My laptop has a multi card slot but if your computer hasn't got one. try using a USB card reader. These plug into a USB port on your computer and definitely do work. I reckon this is more likely than my first suggestion.

Edited by longedge

I suspect you need another card reader, sounds like your printer cannot or doesn't like being used as a transfer device.

Dont pull tracks across pull the albums.

I'm having problems getting what you're seeing - namely the album artwork and the 'flip folder' for album selection. I'm using WMP set to wma format, 192kbps. Do you drag anything other than the ripped tracks over to your SD card, namely playlist, album image etc?

Since my last post on this thread, I've tried EAC ripping to FLAC and it plays back on the Amundsen without a problem. Sound quality is good, but probably not worthy of the c.4-500Mb per album disc space that it requires.Segued tracks transition almost perfectly. There is a very slight (and I mean slight) hiccup as the track number changes. You can't fast rewind across a track transition. BUT - I get no flip folder for the albums (even though I pulled a playlist in m3u8 format and a jpeg of the cover art over to the same folder as the tracks. The albums are instead shown in a written list that you can scroll down, rather than the flip-affair that Urrell posted, and there's no thumbnail album art.

I initially put albums on a SD card for my A6 which I copied onto another SD card for use in the Yeti and I'm getting the same as you i.e. a list of albums just being shown as folders in a list. When I click on an album it shows the tracks and once clicked on starts playing and shows the album art. I'm pretty happy with this but it would be nice to have the fan of albums to choose from like Urrells. 

I suspect you need another card reader, sounds like your printer cannot or doesn't like being used as a transfer device.

Dont pull tracks across pull the albums.

You are correct. Discovered it is my Canon mg7150 that will not allow the SD to be written and it cannot be reformatted. My previous old Epson printer was happy to do it. Will sort another card reader.  

Thanks for everyone's input  

I'm having problems getting what you're seeing - namely the album artwork and the 'flip folder' for album selection. I'm using WMP set to wma format, 192kbps. Do you drag anything other than the ripped tracks over to your SD card, namely playlist, album image etc?

Since my last post on this thread, I've tried EAC ripping to FLAC and it plays back on the Amundsen without a problem. Sound quality is good, but probably not worthy of the c.4-500Mb per album disc space that it requires.Segued tracks transition almost perfectly. There is a very slight (and I mean slight) hiccup as the track number changes. You can't fast rewind across a track transition. BUT - I get no flip folder for the albums (even though I pulled a playlist in m3u8 format and a jpeg of the cover art over to the same folder as the tracks. The albums are instead shown in a written list that you can scroll down, rather than the flip-affair that Urrell posted, and there's no thumbnail album art.

Given my problems downloading and opening EAC i.e. it doesn't (!) do you or anyone else know of a good programme for FLAC? Even if you have to buy it.

I note your comment re. the size of the files but it may sort the problem I've had with some albums when copying i.e. they are distorted and disjointed. I thought maybe it was sort of anti-copying issue. Happened with e.g. The Corrs.

I just pulled the albums from my Music folder on my PC.
If you pull the Artist root it will pull all albums under that Artist as Bob Dylan here, both albums will be copied across with all album art etc.

Image1_zpsvnovfmq4.jpg

Honestly, I would try and persist with EAC !

I can download it no problem (admittedly with W10) so what about ...

1. Disable your AV

2. Download ( but don't run ) EAC

3. Reinstate your AV and run a check on the EAC download

If all is OK then run & install EAC

Urrell - that's pretty much as mine is though I've only got one album per artist so don't need to pull the artist root. As said I've got the album art OK once I select a track but not in the fan like you have. Perhaps I need to tag the album art to the album folder?

Graham - I'll give it another go though I'm not happy with it locking my computer like it did. I had to pull the plug to get it to turn off. I keep getting the offer to upgrade to W10 but as I heard there was problems with it I've never bothered. I guess the issues have been sorted now?

Where did you download EAC from? I had to Google it to find a source and once on the web-site it was a bit of a convoluted process.

Edited by VAGCF

Urrell - that's pretty much as mine is though I've only got one album per artist so don't need to pull the artist root. As said I've got the album art OK once I select a track but not in the fan like you have. Perhaps I need to tag the album art to the album folder?

Do you have the album art showing on your PC in Windows Media Player?

If I buy or add a CD to my iTunes library it is automatically transferred to Windows(10) Media Player and when I plug in the USB stick it is also updated immediately.

Where did you download EAC from? I had to Google it to find a source and once on the web-site it was a bit of a convoluted process.

www.exactaudiocopy.de. That's the site they refer you to under "help".

Yes, it is a bit difficult to understand but I followed the "downlod" link then used the mirror site with the union jack against it.

Tried it yesterday & it downloaded fine but I didn't actually run the install as I already have it installed. Did, however, do a virus check on the file using both Kaspersky and Spywarebytes.

I was old school and hated 8/8.1 and have no issues with 10 for my limited use.

It was pre-loaded on a new PC and I didn't like it either. But I sussed out how to give it the classic look and it's fine. Not sure if the driver is available for my scanner and printer for Windows 10 and I read something the other day where someone was having a problem with some of their existing software. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though! :D

www.exactaudiocopy.de. That's the site they refer you to under "help".

Yes, it is a bit difficult to understand but I followed the "downlod" link then used the mirror site with the union jack against it.

Tried it yesterday & it downloaded fine but I didn't actually run the install as I already have it installed. Did, however, do a virus check on the file using both Kaspersky and Spywarebytes.

Thanks Graham - I did a similar thing but didn't see a site with the Union Jack on it, there was a German flag and another which I used - will have another go.

I got the album cover 'fan' working today, albeit by accident. If you set an album playing so that the cover art is displaying to the top right of the screen, then touch the image, it expands to the fanned display.

I've tried a few different formats on the Amundsen now and so far my favourite is variable bit rate WMA, set to highest quality. It's a shame there's no way to sort artists by surname though

I must admit though that some of the screens for navigating media are getting me confusld :think:

I got the album cover 'fan' working today, albeit by accident. If you set an album playing so that the cover art is displaying to the top right of the screen, then touch the image, it expands to the fanned display.

I've tried a few different formats on the Amundsen now and so far my favourite is variable bit rate WMA, set to highest quality. It's a shame there's no way to sort artists by surname though

I must admit though that some of the screens for navigating media are getting me confusld :think:

Hi Citigopher, to organise by the alphabet, first check names to rename all prefixed 'THE '[ so that The Who are stored under W not T]  - in Windows Media Player go to 'Organise' [top left] 'Sort by' then Album Artist - that will do it.

Also when dragging to your SD card in Windows Explorer - select 'Organise' and 'Select All' then drag the first Album and all will transfer automatically [takes a few minutes]

It is all Black Magic, but looks and works great on my Amundsen II

• Like 1

In an effort to wrestle this into shape, I'm now discovering the full capabilities of Mp3tag (the free program for editing ID3 tags) which is excellent. TBH, it appears there's so much additional info saved as part of an MP3/WMA file, I'm surprised there's any room left for the music :)

At the moment I haven't got the enthusiasm for doing much with my music - I'm at the computer most of the day at work (well, the three days I work) dealing with data and spread sheets, doing the plans for a friend's extension in Microsoft Visio in the evening and doing DIY round the house at weekends!

I'm well and truly computered out at the moment!

I'll certainly try the fan "accident" though.

Edited by VAGCF

Driving to work today the "fan" worked, yippee!

From Urrell's original photo I thought the fan was shown as soon as you selected the appropriate media, and was expecting it to show before selecting an album, which is what was confusing me.

Just got to sort the FLAC etc. now.

I've been playing around with file organisation; i.e. how the music is saved in Windows 7, as ripped by Windows Media Player - to WMA VBR in my case - then tags edited using MP3Tag. Some pointers that others may or may not find useful:

The folder structure that you use on your desktop PC seems to have little or no bearing on what's displayed on the screen of Amundsen II. For example; WMP decided to rip 2 separate albums, one Chopin, one Beethoven, to the same top-level folder in Music on my PC, called Daniel Barenboim (the geezer that's playing the stuff on both albums). Net result, as displayed by Amundsen: Not a mention of Mr Barenboim anywhere. The two albums appear separately, listed in their correct alphabetical position for Beethoven and Chopin.

I've been working my way through my archive with MP3Tag over the last couple of evenings, editing the artist names so that they appear last name first (so Billy Joel became Joel, Billy). This wrestles things into place if you go through the Artists, Albums, Genres etc menus on the Amundsen, but unfortunately has no effect on the order that the album images are displayed in the fan/flip folder display thing. In fact, I can see no rhyme or reason whatsoever to the order that Amundsen displays things in the 'fan'. That may sound a point of some pedantry, but if you've got 3-400 albums to sift through, it becomes a mugs game if they're not in a predictable order. I'm still trying different things in MP3Tag to see if I can get it to work; so far without success.

Sorting the media on-screen display by Artist on the Amundsen 'list' menu becomes a real PITA if your albums have ripped with several credited artists and the primary artist (i.e. the one whose album it is) is not the first named bod. Your music will literally be all over the place. Again, this can be edited/corrected using MP3Tag, but it's a tedious process.

I'm very impressed by the speed that the Amundsen scans, selects and plays from the SD card. It's a slick piece of work, even if the menu order is a bit baffling at times.