Am I just unlucky?

Adenuf

Hi. New here.

Getting a bit exasperated and saw this site on google, so thought I'd let off a bit of steam and to see if I've just been a bit unlucky or are my Superbs faults  quite common?

Bough my 1.6 Greenline Elegance back in May 2014.

24,600 fairly gentle  miles to date, averaging 56 mpg in the winter, and 61 in the summer

Generally, a lovely car, it has to be said, but the list of niggling faults is now becoming irritating, as I've had my Fabia vRS for very nearly 9 years now, with virtually no faults at all. Quite incredible really.

I think I was expecting similar and virtually total reliability, or has quality dipped over the years I wonder?

The list to date::

Radio wouldn't turn on. Sorted itself after a few hours.

Radio wouldn't turn off a few weeks later. Rang the dealer who asked me to video me trying to turn it off, which I did and sent to them.

Once again after much fiddling and pressing  it turned off.

It needed a 3 hour updated download fix which did sort the issue.

Maxidot froze on phone settings.

Needed a new steering wheel switch as the original had failed apparently.

Rear wiper motor has started whining loudly

Central locking intermittent failure, requiring use of manual key operation.

Suspected ignition switch failure, to be sorted next month.

Clutch has intermittent clutch judder, quite severe today.

i DO NOT ride the clutch, ever.

Any of this sound familiar?.

Thank you

Edited by Adenuf

I take it your radio is a Columbus navigation unit. It sounds like you had some dodgy firmware on it, hence the update curing it. It's not common but updates can and do cure annoying little software issues like that. 

As for the other issues: Yes, I think you've been a little unlucky to be honest. These aren't issues you see all over the forums regularly so i'm sorry to say you're very much in the minority with the problems. 

I've got a 2013 Superb and I haven't had any of the problems you've listed. Just gone past 61,000 miles too. 

That aside, welcome on board. We're mostly a friendly bunch around here. If you have any questions, I find the search function is pretty useful for digging through the huge number of posts. Other than ask, feel free to ask away  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Did you buy it new orbbuy it second hand? Clutch judder is a pain. Is it all the time or when cold?

Bought it new.

I'm a little disappointed tbh, but other than those things listed, it's been very good.

Intermittent clutch judder happens randomly, hot or cold.

Hope it's not the DMF!!

Under warranty anyway, but really don't think I'll keep it once that has expired.

Re-assuring to know I'm a bit of a one off on these issues anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome To the site.

I did not think that the 1.6 had a DMF but I stand to be corrected.

I bow to your possible/probable superior knowledge.

My sons previous i10, i20 and Fiesta 1.0 ALL suffered with clutch judder too.

P'raps it's something to do with the Cheshire air?  :D

The main dealer told me that intermittent central locking failure is a know problem btw, hence him immediately suggesting ignition switch breakdown.

Don't know what the connection is between the two though tbh, but hey, what do I know?

I tried the spare unused key thinking it must be the fob battery, but it made no difference.

Must say that the paint quality is excellent. Hardly a stone chip on it, or is that down to me not driving up the chuff of the vehicle in front perhaps?

Been a marvelous furniture removal vehicle for shifting all my daughters crap whilst she's at uni anyway.

The Octavia and certain TDI models in the Superb range suffer from clutch judder when cold. This was a build up of condensation build up on the plate faces overnight and this would cause it to judder and slip.On my previous Octavia it was like being a new driver for the first few miles till it burnt off  :dull:

Are you sure its clutch judder and not DMF failing?

• Like 1

The Octavia and certain TDI models in the Superb range suffer from clutch judder when cold. This was a build up of condensation build up on the plate faces overnight and this would cause it to judder and slip.On my previous Octavia it was like being a new driver for the first few miles till it burnt off  :dull:

Are you sure its clutch judder and not DMF failing?

Danny up there ^^^ was questioning if this particular engine/gearbox actually has a DMF?

It's not that bad at the moment in fairness, but it's definitely not right.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it now and see if it is generally when it's cold when it judders.

Edited by Adenuf

Just got it delivered back.

No fault found, so they've just re-programmed the keys and been told to ring them back if the c/l starts playing up again

No clutch judder for them.

New rear wiper motor fitted.

Washed it for me which is good as it was minging.

Hey ho.

Are you sure you're not slipping the clutch excessively? That's what the dealer told the missus when she took her Renault back for juddering

Get out clause you mean?

'Driver error'?

Strange how in 40+ years of driving that I've never experienced clutch judder before, apart from on my sons i10 and 20's that he had 3-5 years ago....a known and common fault with Hyundai.

They tried blaming him too funnily enough, even though it juddered for me too.

No, to answer your question, I don't slip the clutch or hold it on the clutch on slopes or at traffic lights..

Guess I'll just have to put up with it until it does it for them.

Edited by Adenuf

The Kia C'eed we had before the Fabia Estate was on (58 plate) 38k miles when we got rid of it. It had a juddering clutch in all weathers. Neither my wife or I drag or ride the clutch but it still judders bad. We got rid before we had to change it. Frustrated the hell out of me as it was supposedly 120BHP but felt more like 80BHP and didn't like being revved 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear.

C/L failed again today, this following the main dealer's investigation which found nothing wrong.

I tried an old trick by switching the ignition on and off 12 times in rapid succession....and it WORKED!

Unfortunately, when I turned the ignition and engine on a message came up telling me their was now a fault on the 'Stop Start system and was now inoperative, the tyre pressure warning light came on as did the engine management light.

Fortunately they all went out after 5 minutes of running, but the Stop Start is still inactive.

The radio loudspeakers have now started to dislike bass on anything even slightly above normal listening level now too.

Become quite 'buzzy'

Edited by Adenuf

Oh dear, sounds like you have "bought a pup". Yours must be the worst Superb out there. As you bought it new I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to sort it out. Also get in touch with Skoda Uk to see if the can do anything for you. Your (long) list of issues is very unusual.

Oh dear, sounds like you have "bought a pup". Yours must be the worst Superb out there. As you bought it new I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to sort it out. Also get in touch with Skoda Uk to see if the can do anything for you. Your (long) list of issues is very unusual.

i will be ringing them again tomorrow.

I'm getting a bit weary of this now, as it seems they won't do anything unless it does it for them.....which it hasn't, and the clutch didn't judder for them either.

So, as far as they are concerned, there is nothing wrong on either count and therfore they won't take it any further. :devil:

I concede that all  those warning lights coming on briefly yesterday may have been something to do with me flicking the ignition on and off 12 times, not sure.

I'll give them 1 more go at it, and then it'll be time to ring up SUK i think.. 

Sorry to hear of your woes. The Superbs are, in general, excellent cars. Feedback from motoring press globally and on the motoring forums tend to support that view. However, that does not help you with your continued frustrations - understandably so.

You bought it new. It's playing up. You want it sorted.

Write directly to the Manager of the dealership. Be polite but firm explaining briefly the issues and what, so far, the dealership servicing team have told you. Highlight the positives of ownership too in your email...don't be 'Mr Angry' just be 'Mr_a_bit_disappointed_with_the_product'.....

If using an email, copy in someone high up in customer service within VAG/skoda group (I think those details are on these forums somewhere if you do a search...or use Google :) ) You will normally get a positive response and your car will hopefully get sorted.

Good luck with it.

Dave

Edited by Wile7
  • Like 1

I rang them yesterday. 

It was suggested the key fob battery might be nearing the end of its life.

I tried using the virtually unused spare, but to no avail, so don't agree with that..

Meanwhile, Monday night, the headlights briefly went out whilst driving down an unlit road at approx 50mph!  :no:

Came back on less than a second later granted, but it was one scary and very dark moment.

This actually happened once before last autumn too, but it wasn't pitch black then.

I just ignored it tbh, but this time it cannot be.

I have told them, and expressed that imo their is something inherently faulty with the general electronics on this car, and probably always have been.

I am still waiting for a return call to outline their next plan of action.

I am actually starting to become a bit wicked off now tbh.

Sounds like you've just been a bit unlucky. I have a 2013 Greenline Elegance FL which I've had from new and it's been pretty good, just coming up to 70k miles.

BUT - I think my headlights did go out once, only for a split second, all happened so quickly I thought I'd imagined it and I'd forgotten all about it until I just read your latest post.

Sounds like you've just been a bit unlucky. I have a 2013 Greenline Elegance FL which I've had from new and it's been pretty good, just coming up to 70k miles.

BUT - I think my headlights did go out once, only for a split second, all happened so quickly I thought I'd imagined it and I'd forgotten all about it until I just read your latest post.

They rang me back yesterday.

Going in again on 8th March. :yawn:

They rang me back yesterday.

Going in again on 8th March. :yawn:

Get SUK involved now. Don't speak to the first person who answered the phone, as they'll fob you off, so tell them firmly that you want to escalate this NOW to a Customer Services Manager, so he can monitor the progress of the work.

Where are you located.

Perhaps you should take a look in the VCDS forum at who near you has a copy and look to pay a visit and read the cars memory for fault codes.

This might show short faults (eg lights and CL) that have cleared themselves and that the dealer is fobbing you off about being fine when they look.

The car modules store faults even if thgey resolve themselves but i have noticed the dealers never tend to bother themselves with intermittent faults.

My Superb for example (2009 CR170 Elegance with 130,000 miles) shows a repeated intermittent earthing fault against the Bluetooth module (phone) on one speaker. I have never noticed it drop out or there to be an issue with it but its in VDCS log every time I check it with VCDS. It may be the dealer kit ignores occasional intermittent faults in memory until they reach a duration or number of repeats.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Get SUK involved now. Don't speak to the first person who answered the phone, as they'll fob you off, so tell them firmly that you want to escalate this NOW to a Customer Services Manager, so he can monitor the progress of the work.

Right, I'm starting to get cross now.

The intermittent clutch judder is slowly getting worse, so I'm going to ring the dealer tomorrow and TELL them to either sort it without any further investigation time stalling "we can't find anything wrong with it"  nonsense, or I'm going to ring SUK direct.

I now have an intermitant wiper sticking fault developing too.

At least the central locking and headlights suddenly going out issues haven't risen their ugly heads over the last 4 or 5 weeks, so that's progress I suppose?