DAB Radio Option - worth it? Should be standard!?

jbreedon

I would agree that DAB pocket sized radios are battery guzzlers with FM only equivalents lasting way longer on a charge. 

Which is why you don't see DAB built into mobiles, which in turn means that overall uptake of DAB is reduced. Is power consumption for DAB+ improved any over DAB?

Evidence?  Who am I to challenge a Super Moderator(!) but that is a sweeping statement - DAB radios are selling...

It's all in here: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/cmr/cmr15/UK_3-Radio_and_audio_charts.pdf

In summary, sales of and use of DAB are significant but growth is not what the industry predicted.

My experience is that in our home we can not get a stable DAB service, which is located in a semi-rural southern England location.  Based on this, I am loathed to commit to it in a moving platform.

If you remove the roof aerial the car will use only the glass mounted one, and so you lose the diversity function. If you were to look at the signal strength in VCDS one would say nothing and the other would show usual strength.

What would the DAB reception be if the rear screen aerial was disconnected knowing that stubby aerials are no good for DAB reception?

Rubbish.

DAB works well very covering most of central Scotland with only the occasional drop out.

pretty crappy in Livingston, we have DAB in the car, a bedside radio and one in the kitchen, signal is flakey so we use FM on all of them. 

it was standard on the octavia otherwise there's no way I'd have paid for it

A DAB radio & Amundsen+ sat nav. came FOC on my Urban in 2012

I highly recommend it, listen to radio a lot - in car & at home (3 PURE DABs at home) - never had an issue with reception, & rarely use the FM/AM bands

DAB makes some sense in the car but it's no good at home, the sounds quality is just rubbish for anything other than speech. The UK's DAB deployment is a textbook example of how to screw up a new technology.

Sooner we cut our losses and move to DAB+ the better.

I've updated my RNS510 to a DAB one and wouldn't be without it. the odd lack of signal is nothing much to worry about considering the better choice of stations.

It all comes down to where you live. 

It's useless near me. 

Its like hitting mute on/off constantly. 

I'm sure its great in more built up areas, but in my area, its a waste of time. Back to FM 

DAB makes some sense in the car but it's no good at home, the sounds quality is just rubbish for anything other than speech. The UK's DAB deployment is a textbook example of how to screw up a new technology.

Sooner we cut our losses and move to DAB+ the better.

What is the difference between DAB and DAB+ mate? 

I'm sure the future of radio is internet based. Don't bother with DAB, it really is yesterday's technology the bit rates are very low. Instead try using your phone, Tunein app via Bluetooth is every bit as good if not better and even more choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure the future of radio is internet based. Don't bother with DAB, it really is yesterday's technology the bit rates are very low. Instead try using your phone, Tunein app via Bluetooth is every bit as good if not better and even more choice.

It does need a 3g signal though, falls over without that. Funnily enough often in the places with lousy dab cover.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

That's true, but I think 3G/4G/5G coverage will increase. Not sure about DAB. DAB seems to be a technology that has had its day.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry, I work in telecoms, that's a lot of 3g to be rolled out but the focus is always on the next big thing. There's plenty places where you can't guarantee 2G never mind data.

FM is here, FM works. 

• Like 2

Internet radio is great for home, but depends on your data allowance if you are going to use whilst out and about. FM is great and works but does not have all the stations I want so willing to give DAB a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FM 'just works', but the choice of radio stations leaves a lot to be desired. As for DAB / Internet radio, for quite a large radius from my home there is no contest - DAB is more reliable than 3G/4G. 4G anywhere other than larger towns/cities & conurbations is a bit of a joke, if my experience is anything to go by.

Edited by Citigopher

FM 'just works', but the choice of radio stations leaves a lot to be desired. As for DAB / Internet radio, for quite a large radius from my home there is no contest - DAB is more reliable than 3G/4G. 4G anywhere other than larger towns/cities & conurbations is a bit of a joke, if my experience is anything to go by.

Fair one, can't say I've really noticed much extra worthwhile stuff on dab though.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

So is DAB though.

Its useless near me.

Its either on or off because its digital. Which is really annoying.

Atleast with FM you can get abit of interference, but its still there.

I agree with that, FM is the most ubiquitous, but I'd stand by the fact that the future of radio is the Internet.

It might be in an urban centre, but try getting even a phone signal in some places around here!

BBC Radio 5Live, 5LiveSports Extra, Radio 6 Music, Kiss (which I can't get on FM around here for some reason) - to name but a few.

If you're a big football fan I guess. I tend to stick to local radio stations (ie all bauer media stations so nit really local at all ) they're all available on FM

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Great coverage by DAB radio here in northern Ireland.

Since the yeti arrived I've had no problems with reception anywhere I've been.

Love the media choice of DAB,FM and AM all working well. Great choice of styles of music stations available.

SD card for country, classic and jazz/blues

USB for rock, pop and club

Even have family photos on display. Nice touch!

Edited by aernala

• 1 month later...

The stations I listen to here by the Suffolk coast are mainly talk stations, usually for football and footy talk.  5 Live is a non-starter in the evening due to the interference from continental stations, so it has to be DAB.  FM may or may not be better for music, (to my ear there isn' much difference), but there are fewer stations to choose from.  It's interesting that some people are simply aching to see DAB consigned to history, just as there has been a campaign to convince us that the CD is an old format compared to MP3.  Tell that to those who contend that true hifi only comes with vinyl, and are prepared to pay thousands for an amp with valves instead of transistors.  Many artistes are now releasing albums on vinyl now, and I even heard the other day that cassettes are poised for a comeback. Pity I ditched my 8 track!