SuperSkoda LED "dome" lights

speedsport

Has anyone fitter the LED rear seat interior courtesy lights from SuperSkoda?

I bought a pair when they had their 20% off deal earlier in the month and they are fantastically bright, but I cant get 'em to clip into the housing in the headlining.

The spring clip is a completely different shape to the original Skoda lamps, so the new ones don't click into place.

I've emailed SuperSkoda with photos & details, and they tell me that they are all like that & they fit ok in their own Yeti.

Am I doing something wrong?

post-55787-0-81895900-1454283439_thumb.jpg

I think I held the clip with a pair needle nosed pliers and gave it a slight twist. Pretty sure someone on here or YOC advised that. My SKODA originals are not as extremely angled as yours.

Sent mainly by pure luck using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I fitted them to mine about a month ago and they went straight in.

Just looked at my originals and the clips look just like your SuperSkoda ones.

I would try just "tweaking" the clip a little until they slot in.

Are these worth fitting ? The Before and After shots on Superskoda don't really look much different at all ?

I'm sure you have to be looking at the one with the front LED and without, the rear ones on that are both LEDs

This is the difference between the front ones.

yet-led-dome2.jpg

Are these worth fitting ? The Before and After shots on Superskoda don't really look much different at all ?

Yes, well worth it !

http://www.superskoda.com/images/Interier/yet-rr-dome3.jpg

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/Yeti/Skoda-Yeti-interior-MEGA-POWER-LED-dome-light-set

I too think you must be looking at different ones!

Another vote for the rear interior lights from SuperSkoda (and the boot and front door 'open' lights). And a bit of tweaking of the spring clips with long nosed pliers. It's still a bit scary removing the new and fitting the old that close to the headlining....! 

I've had them in all three TIBETs and the transformation of interior lighting is brilliant.

When it comes to the front dome lights - there are different lights on the Yeti depending on the roof panel. On sunroof equipped Yetis, LED bulbs do fit but get short ones.

• Like 1

Has anyone fitter the LED rear seat interior courtesy lights from SuperSkoda?

I bought a pair when they had their 20% off deal earlier in the month and they are fantastically bright, but I cant get 'em to clip into the housing in the headlining.

The spring clip is a completely different shape to the original Skoda lamps, so the new ones don't click into place.

I've emailed SuperSkoda with photos & details, and they tell me that they are all like that & they fit ok in their own Yeti.

Am I doing something wrong?

attachicon.gifIMG_1385.1.jpg

I think you may have bent the sping on the original when taking it out.

It should look like the Superskoda one.

The lights are removed by compressing the spring against the roof lining and removing the opposite end first.

The lights are removed by compressing the spring against the roof lining and removing the opposite end first.

That's different to how mine come out.

I compressed the spring clip and dropped that end out first, the other end will not drop as there is the power lead sticking out and has to be withdrawn after the front end is dropped out.

This Youtube clip shows removing the offside rear seat lamp on a Golf which is exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5PuC9TeHfA

Edited by Urrell

I think you may have bent the sping on the original when taking it out.

It should look like the Superskoda one.

Nope - definitely haven't bent the spring on the original lamps, and both sides of the car are identical.

And as Urrell says, you have to remove the lamp from the spring end first as the other end is retained by the wiring connector,

That's different to how mine come out.

I compressed the spring clip and dropped that end out first, the other end will not drop as there is the power lead sticking out and has to be withdrawn after the front end is dropped out.

This Youtube clip shows removing the offside rear seat lamp on a Golf which is exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5PuC9TeHfA

Agreed.....  the only way they can be removed is by releasing the spring end first.

The spring on the lamp in the video (thanks) is exactly the same as my originals. The Superskoda ones are a different shape that doesn't spring into place against the metal edge to the lamp aperture.

I'm not going to try further on this car but will await the arrival of my new Yeti at the end of March, as I suspect that once in place the end of the spring on the Superskoda lamps will disappear behind the headlining and become captive thus preventing the lamp unit from being removed by the screwdriver method as shown.

Edited by speedsport

Nope - definitely haven't bent the spring on the original lamps, and both sides of the car are identical.

And as Urrell says, you have to remove the lamp from the spring end first as the other end is retained by the wiring connector,

Agreed.....  the only way they can be removed is by releasing the spring end first.

The spring on the lamp in the video (thanks) is exactly the same as my originals. The Superskoda ones are a different shape that doesn't spring into place against the metal edge to the lamp aperture.

I'm not going to try further on this car but will await the arrival of my new Yeti at the end of March, as I suspect that once in place the end of the spring on the Superskoda lamps will disappear behind the headlining and become captive thus preventing the lamp unit from being removed by the screwdriver method as shown.

My engineering mind tells me that when the new clip flexes, the tip will go up under the grey housing, thus it will not return to its position shown. The head lining orifice being much smaller the clip will remain compressed with the flat portion nearest the tip against the orifice side.

My engineering mind tells me that when the new clip flexes, the tip will go up under the grey housing, thus it will not return to its position shown. The head lining orifice being much smaller the clip will remain compressed with the flat portion nearest the tip against the orifice side.

I've just made a rough mock up using cardboard, and even with several layers to imitate the thickness of the headlining aperture, the Superskoda version's clip does indeed flip behind the surround, whereas the original does exactly as you describe as the flat bit at the end of the clip is longer and at such an angle that it compresses as you push the lamp into position, holding it securely but retaining the ability to be removed later. I'll wait for the new car and try again then. If necessary I'll see if I can remove the spring clips from the original lamps & transfer them to the Superskoda ones.

Superskoda's answer to my email is to smash the lights with a hammer, send 'em a photo & they'll refund the money! Hmmmm!!!

What's this obsession with LED lights!

I open the door, I get in and start the car, there is enough light for that. I want to look at a map etc. I use the map reading lights. I open the boot, put stuff in and close it, there is enough light for that.

No doubt I will get some abuse!  :clap:

I open the door, I get in and start the car, there is enough light for that. I want to look at a map etc. I use the map reading lights. I open the boot, put stuff in and close it, there is enough light for that.

In my case, I wanted lights of much lower power consumption and greater brightness in the rear for when I'm out on rallies.

I don't want to increase the brightness of those in the front, as for me they are plenty bright enough for map reading etc. Having a brighter passenger one in use for map reading whilst driving would be distracting.

No abuse, but remember that some of use our cars for doing odd things like car rally safety, often at night. 

I haven't bothered to replace the rear dome lights in mine, but have put LED's in the front map reading lights, as I find them more useful with a set of radios on the dash, and having check sheets to write, plus I can just have one of them on.

• Like 1

The original lamp in the boot is next to useless for actually seeing anything in the boot.  When you are dropping kids at school in the dead of winter it is nice to be able to see who's coat/bag/sports kit etc you are grabbing.  The LED really illuminates the boot.

• Like 4

Some of us are happy with halogen lights and others are over the moon with the Bi-Xenon it's a matter of individual choice.

I have changed about 35 lights at home to LED and the power company have reduced my direct debit by £9 a month

I tried some LED festoon bulbs from Halfords in my rear seat interior lights (not cheap about £14 for 2) and was very happy with them but after 24 hours they started to blow the fuse.

Apparently this is something that happens with some, strange as they are 1w as opposed to 5w for the originals.

But I will try another make probably Phillips or Osram.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek.

Sparked off by the TT forum where they are forever changing this, upgrading that, a lot of which involves LEDs and thought I'd escaped it on here! The average age is somewhat lower on there though and that's what younger bods do.

I appreciate that some, especially on here, have good reason to do things, rather than just for fashion!

Changing lights at home makes good sense but I don't think you'll make much of a saving with regards to the car!

Not really about saving-the boot light is reall rather feeble and may well be wort replacing-the interior lights are average but not very bright and if, like Graham, you use the vehicle a lot at night and stationary the reduced power drain might be well worthwhile.

• Like 1

Anything that reduces the load on a modern battery squeezed into tight spots and made to work it's guts out powering all those comfort devices, for me is a good result.......so long as night vision is taken into account.

Not really about saving-the boot light is reall rather feeble and may well be wort replacing-the interior lights are average but not very bright and if, like Graham, you use the vehicle a lot at night and stationary the reduced power drain might be well worthwhile.

The removable boot light is pretty bright though isn't it? Mine certainly is.