NOKIAN WEATHERPROOF'S

Pheasantplucker57

Last Wednesday (27th Jan) I ordered 4 Nokian Weatherproofs (all season tyres) from Tyreleader in Germany (otherwise known as CP Reifen Trading GmbH). 225/40R18, at £96.29 per corner. And they arrived today, just after midday! Great Service. The tyres will, hopefully, be going on tomorrow. Have read good things re these tyres, so took the plunge.

• Like 2

I'm really pleased with mine, which went on at the end of August. Their A rating for wet grip is well deserved, as we've had plenty of water to test them on in the last few months! I've yet to see the traction control light flicker on in the 4000 miles they've done, so I can't complain about the grip :)

• Like 1

Had my Nokian weatherproof's fitted in November & I absolutely love em' one the best tyres I have purchased & especially for the vRS, this is a thread that I started asking about Nokian tyres 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/375204-confused-on-what-tyres-to-choose-updated-bought-nokians/

I also got them from Tyreleader  :thumbup: I paid £367.00 for 4 tyres delivered, I found the delivery was slow but I know this can vary in some cases & the first thing I noticed was the road tyre noise is much more quieter compared to my existing CS2 & CS5, also the grip is so much better that my TC light does not flash like it use to when I had the CS fitted  :D  definitely will buy the Nokian weatherproof tyres again without a doubt

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

9000 miles on mine now, fitted for nearly a year. All wheels gave a 7mm depth reading at the MOT in May, so wear looks good. No noticeable change in behaviour over the few weeks in the high temps (32C on Tuesday) - still quiet & good grip. They won't hold the road quite as well as a dedicated performance summer tyre, but even with my remapped Yeti they do a good job.

I've no regrets moving to them from the Dunlop SP01s I had before. If I had to replace them I'd currently buy the same again.

• Like 2

9000 miles on mine now, fitted for nearly a year. All wheels gave a 7mm depth reading at the MOT in May, so wear looks good. No noticeable change in behaviour over the few weeks in the high temps (32C on Tuesday) - still quiet & good grip. They won't hold the road quite as well as a dedicated performance summer tyre, but even with my remapped Yeti they do a good job.

I've no regrets moving to them from the Dunlop SP01s I had before. If I had to replace them I'd currently buy the same again.

Thanks for the quick response. I currently have Michelin sport 3 on mine. Think I might try the Nokian. 

Sorry for a late response but as dbg400 has mentioned above, I would agree with what dbg400 has said as regards the Nokians  B) A great tyre & you will notice straightaway the difference in road noise (much quieter) the actual grip of the Nokians don't seem to wear out as quick as other tyre's so you will notice that, but they still grip very well, definitely no hesitation in recommending the Nokians.

You can get them from here:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/weatherproof/225-40-r18-92v-333493

but blackcircles still ain't a bad price fitted, valved & balanced  :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres fitted and yes road noise is quieter and they look good. However I have just had a thought only replaced the front tyres and as these are all season should I be looking to change the rears as well. Currently have Michelin sport 3 on the rear.

• Like 1

I did all four on mine, but then the Dunlops were down to 3mm. I'd be uncomfortable having different types of tyres on the front vs the back, more in case you hit a wet bend and the front has better grip than the rear - the Weatherproofs are very good in the wet.

As it was I gave my old tyres away (just three as an unrepairable puncture prompted the change), and you may find a buyer for your Michelins if they have decent life left.

Edited by dbg400
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I got a set from the UK distributor for Nokian last November.  They were only about £2 more per tyre than from the usual European websites, available for delivery next day, and after my previous warranty debacle with another brand I know I don't have to go through the same hoops if I have any issues. I noticed that their website prices didn't change, whereas the others changed almost daily because of exchange rates.

When I took them off for the peak summer months I could still just see the 8mm etching vaguely visible - after over 6 months' use.  I'd pick these over the Michelin CCs for definite if I had to use just one tyre all year round.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The tyres have been on 13 months now. 11.5K miles with the fronts on 6-6.5mm and the rears 7-7.5mm. Aiming to rotate them this w/e. No complaints at all and very pleased with my choice. Still waiting for some serious snow to test them on but we'll probably get another mild winter...

Edited by dbg400
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Nokian Weatherproof tyres fitted August 2016. 

Flat tyre yesterday on changing tyre realized that the side wall had failed on the inside no visible issues on the outside fortunately I was only doing 20mph checked passenger side and it was the same although it was still inflated.

Will not be buying these again even though they were excellent in the wet and good traction in the snow.

Edited by bhoywonder

1 minute ago, bhoywonder said:

Nokian Weatherproof tyres fitted August 2016. 

Flat tyre yesterday on changing tyre realized that the side wall had failed on the inside no visible issues on the outside fortunately I was only doing 20mph checked passenger side and it was the same although it was still inflated.

Will not be buying these again even though they were excellent in the wet and good traction in the snow.

I just changed mine all 4 last week to Michelin PS4 as mine were cracking up on the side wall (outside) & I’ve rotated them in the past, I agree the Nokian’s were excellent in wet & dry, good grip traction but I’m definitely not happy with the way the outside side wall was cracking up & suppose I could of had a blow out at anytime.

1 minute ago, BATVANVRS said:

I just changed mine all 4 last week to Michelin PS4 as mine were cracking up on the side wall (outside) & I’ve rotated them in the past, I agree the Nokian’s were excellent in wet & dry, good grip traction but I’m definitely not happy with the way the outside side wall was cracking up & suppose I could of had a blow out at anytime.

Agreed I was less then 20 seconds from joining a dual carriage with a speed limit of 50 mph dread to think what might have happened.

Yeah mate, definitely something you don’t want to think about let alone actually happen, when I asked the tyre place why they think the Nokians cracked up, they said “it’s either the materials used to make these tyres are not great or that they are old” he also asked if I use tyre shine as that seems a characteristic of tyres cracking but lucky I very rarely use tyre shine & if I do, it’s the Megs endurance Gel, I put it down to the Nokians probably work & last better in weather conditions that the tyres are meant to be in. Who knows?

PS: forget to say, good job you noticed when you did ;)

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

As good as the Nokians were on my car, great grip, wet n dry, noise levels etc fantastic but the cracking up of the side walls really got me worried, my tracking is perfect, alloys not buckled, straight alloys all round.

Got Michelin PS4 all round now & definitely feel better than the Nokians in every way, just need to bed them in a little more.

Apart from the Nokians cracking, I would of still had these tyres on my car to date & if they didn’t crack up across the side walls, I would of evened replaced them for the same Nokians.

Still a great tyre, just a shame what happened to you & me has kinda put us off of them, luck of the draw I suppose :sadsmile:

Edited by BATVANVRS