DSG 7 speed - is it now a reliable choice?

DavidFC

A manual clutch is not at all comparable to a DSG. Manual clutches are excluded as they're very easy to destroy. I bet you could take a brand new car and ruin it in under 15 minutes. The automatic DSG is entirely computer controlled and should not allow the user to damage it. If using it wears it out quickly then it has been designed or built incorrectly.

I remember a case with a guy who bought a fancy BMW with an auto box, took it out on a track and blew it up. BMW tried to reject the claim saying he had misused the car. I believe it ended with them fixing his car under warranty in the end as he claimed exactly the above.

Having said all that, I'd still rather just avoid the faff and get something else.

In 2015 Skoda CZ (Volkswagen) invested Millions of someones money in the Skoda factory to increase the production of DSG from 1,000 to 1,500 a day.

The DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG is fabulous, sealed for life with no Service or Maintenance Schedule.

Synthetic Oil filled, all fine and dandy.

Only issue was that then in some world regions VW did a 'World Wide' Recall, and even extended the Warranty to 100,000 miles.

Obviously the Home Market of the EU / UK is not in the World, because VW rule the EU and please them selves.

So no Recall Required,  No Service Campaign Required, seemingly Europe is not Humid like Asia, Australia, New Zealand even.

***Then shortly later Service Campaigns are required, just do not shout about it, sshhh  Need to know basis.***

So many EU DQ200 DSG still have Synthetic Oil in, and if you are out of warranty you need to get Skoda, VW, Seat, Audi on a good day, 

or you can be £4,000 worse off.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

How it was done in NZ as a Service Campaign, and should be done in Europe,.

ie Replace the MCU in some cases, or at least cover the cost if they fail.

BE AWARE,

IN EUROPE / UK IT IS NOT ONLY 2009-2011, BECAUSE VW KEPT PUTTING SYNTHETIC OIL IN FOR THE YEARS AFTER THEY ALREADY KNEW THERE WAS ISSUES.

So 2012,2013.vehicles might need 'field' actions'.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

If you have a 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG and not sure if it has had the 'Service Campaign' or should, best check.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall

No big Article from Autocar / Auto Express the fav mags of VW (POODLES) that earn lots in Advertising when 

VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda need to do a big Service Campaign and yet miss letting many Registered Keepers know.

**Sshhhh Dont tell everyone on a Skoda UK Official Website, in 2014, 2015 or 2016....**

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

OK...Time to draw a line under this.

I said.....    "I'm happy enough to reply to actual factual responses but am not going to spend time on loose observations of opinion and hearsay."

And you replied....  "^^^^just remember they (modern cars) have a design life of 10 years and that's the sad reality." 

I have nothing further to add and really do need to get on with other things.  The OP will make up their mind based on facts and figures and, hopefully, won't be too distracted by naysayers, some, if not most, of whom don't actually own one and are simply content to repeat stories and anecdotes picked up from their mate down the pub...or by spending too much time on internet forums... or wherever else... and are happy speak in generalisations rather than actuality.

Thank you.

The BMW Mini production line manager said it to James May during the recent programme.......sales probably wished he hadn been so honest.

If you can't get extended warranty on a DSG there must be a message in that, IMHO.

Hi DavidFC, presume you have your own reasons for buying petrol engine Yeti.

Mine is a diesel. I only bought it because it was a diesel auto. Plus a few other points.

Had my Yeti 2 years and done 43000 miles so far.

Touch wood, no problems apart from a new windscreen (nice crack from large stone).

I just make sure serviced every 10-11000 miles.

I've only just learnt that the petrol Yeti's are 7 speed auto with a dry clutch.

Mines a 6 speed with a wet clutch. Based on my experience, I'd would recommended it to anyone.

Sorry it does not answer your first question, but just joining in with my view.

Whichever you buy/drive enjoy, it's a great car.

Watch out, lads and lasses!   Someone on the "other forum" has got a problem with the gear change on his manual 1.2 Yeti.  I guess we'd all better avoid THOSE in future, too!        :devil:   :notme:

^^^^ Manual Clutches are a Consumable. so no World Wide Recalls or Service Campaigns on them.

VW never put the wrong as it turns out Oil in on the Production Line, as they did with a few Million DQ200, 

and then had Clutch Pack Quality Control issues as well.

So as funny as it is for some 'I am allright Jacks' if you have no issues, 

getting landed when out of Warranty with Quotes of £4,000 to replace a DSG is a major issue for the unlucky.

Nearly a fortnight on from the start of the thread. Nothing heard back since the initial post which mentioned.....

....."Heard a lot about problems with recalls and issues with mechatronics in recent years".

Quite a few replies...some of which were constructive, practical and tried to be of real help.

Bit of a shame there's been no acknowledgement to date.

The BMW Mini production line manager said it to James May during the recent programme.......sales probably wished he hadn been so honest.

If you can't get extended warranty on a DSG there must be a message in that, IMHO.

Exactly - an extended warranty is no such thing, it's an insurance policy. So - the underwriters can set the rules/premium based on risk and provided it's listed as an excluded item you take the risk not them. I'm not entering the 'reliability' debate as I don't have the knowledge or experience as an owner. But the attitude of insured warranty providers does kind of speak for itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a late 2014 build (purchased middle 2015 5000km's) and have DSG issues:

1) when taking foot off the brake no clutch engagement (free rev) for a second before engagement

2) when taking foot off the brake and moving off will start moving (in 1st) then drop the clutch with a nice bang through the transmission

Customer service has been poor:

taken to the dealer 3 times "didn't fault" during test so sent away, "luckily" the check engine light stayed on so took in to the dealer again

Dealer cleared the fault code and test drive "all ok" when I drove it home (from the dealer) it did both versions of the fault

Took back to dealer and took the tech for a drive (immediate fault) then booked in for repair

Dropped in for repair: get a message in the afternoon "car ready for collection - parts ordered"

Car booked in for Monday morning parts don't arrive postponed for 1 x week

Next Monday car dropped off "will take 3 days" pick up the car Friday afternoon when it's ready (that's 5 days yeah??)

2nd stop / start on the drive home from the dealer guess what happens ??? (Yes same as when dropped off)

That's very poor service.

When I had my Passat DSG it started having issues though not as bad as yours. Extended test drive with the tech (me driving) and it behaved itself perfectly! :devil:

But when I reversed up a slope from where parked at the dealers to go home it juddered! :x

But the tech had already checked the diagnostics and said it needed a new Mechatronic unit - so this is what should have happened to you, never mind how it drove.

Once mine was changed it drove faultlessly after that.

That's very poor service.

When I had my Passat DSG it started having issues though not as bad as yours. Extended test drive with the tech (me driving) and it behaved itself perfectly! :devil:

But when I reversed up a slope from where parked at the dealers to go home it juddered! :x

But the tech had already checked the diagnostics and said it needed a new Mechatronic unit - so this is what should have happened to you, never mind how it drove.

Once mine was changed it drove faultlessly after that.

Roughly when was it the DSG Passat had the warraty work done, VAGCF?

I only ask as I wonder (in hope and with optimism) whether new (that is to say 2015 / 2016 DSG 7 speed transmissions are finally cured of the "shuddering" that was so common and which was fixed by either a new clutch pack and/or mechatronic unit.  

Mine has had a new clutch pack and is fine. But I do wonder what would happen if it started juddering again.  Presumably I'd return it to the dealer and the cost of repair would either be borne by myself...or, maybe, a bit of a contribution from Skoda themselves.  Perhaps increasingly unlikely as it's coming up 5 years.  The extended warranty that I have doesn't cover the clutch pack, so no likelihood of help there. Lets hope i'm worrying unnecessarily.

It was around 2009 but that would have been a 6 speed.

That's the problem, they hopefully sort out the problems with one DSG system but they then bring out a new one with more gears along with its own set of problems!

So as to finally cured, who knows!

It was a work colleague who bought it, and so nearly 8 years old, and still going strong, so there is hope!

I would have another one (but only in a new car though, as was the Passat, with the associated warranty) as I really like them, but my wife doesn't like switching between her manual and my auto. Also the intention was for the Yeti to be a keeper and so went for the manual and a diesel which is a combination I like with a car like the Yeti.

But, as discussed elsewhere, my idea to keep the Yeti probably won't happen due to the increasing risk/cost of running an old car in the future, which is pretty damning of modern car design really. We shall see.

It was around 2009 but that would have been a 6 speed.

That's the problem, they hopefully sort out the problems with one DSG system but they then bring out a new one with more gears along with its own set of problems!

So as to finally cured, who knows!

It was a work colleague who bought it, and so nearly 8 years old, and still going strong, so there is hope!

I would have another one (but only in a new car though, as was the Passat, with the associated warranty) as I really like them, but my wife doesn't like switching between her manual and my auto. Also the intention was for the Yeti to be a keeper and so went for the manual and a diesel which is a combination I like with a car like the Yeti.

But, as discussed elsewhere, my idea to keep the Yeti probably won't happen due to the increasing risk/cost of running an old car in the future, which is pretty damning of modern car design really. We shall see.

Thanks, VAGCF.  All noted, including the observations re. keeping hold of an ageing car for fear of what horrendous expenditure it might incur.  Obviously the alternative view concerns what losses we would accrue by virtue of initial depreciation if we kept changing the car after the warranty expires.  Hence my keep looking to see what Kia and (to a lesser extent) Hyundai andToyota offer.  |A spot of swings and roundabouts?

Absolutely. It's becoming an evermore complicated financial balancing act!

I suppose that if choosing the new car option one can console oneself with the fact that you have got yourself a new car! Though of course new isn't always better with some of the new technology being forced down our throats.

Some is good and should be embraced, but equally some is questionable (by some of us :notme: )!

• Like 1

From what I recall the 7 Spd DSG mechatronic unit was subject of a service bulletin with a new improved one fitted .

When did this happen ?

I purchased mine June last year from the dealer (new / runout stock)

When did this happen ?

I purchased mine June last year from the dealer (new / runout stock)

Unless it's v old stock, should be the updated one.

Well I contacted Skoda and mine wasn't subject to any recall

Funny though that the car is at the dealer and they suspect it's the Mechatronic unit that is causing the problems !

Well I contacted Skoda and mine wasn't subject to any recall

Funny though that the car is at the dealer and they suspect it's the Mechatronic unit that is causing the problems !

If you enter your VIN into this page on the Australian Skoda website, it will tell you if it was part of any recall. It's likely linked to whatever database Skoda Australia used to lookup recall data on your vehicle.

An interesting tip I saw on another website regarding reporting defective products (not just cars) was, if you have a defective product, take a video of said issue (most people have phones that can record video these days) and produce it as part of your complaint. 

I've also got a 7 gear DSG unit in my (2016MY, 92 TSI/1.4L petrol) Yeti that I purchased recently, however I do not have the issues you've identified in your initial post. 

Doing a quick Google search seems to produce lots of results, including this youtube clip. Did yours sound anything like that?

Thanks for the link will ~ this also returned a no recall result

I didn't watch the video

My symptoms are only noticed when engaging the clutch (no noticeable noise)

It's just like side stepping off the clutch pedal in a manual ~ a massive thump through the transmission

Oh yeah 4 week wait for the parts required !

Edited by ausbinny

• 3 weeks later...

OK booked in for the 9th for a new mechatronic unit - see what the result is this time

even though we've had the car for for almost 1 year it's been faulty for 6 months of that way to go Skoda  :thumbdown: