"Daddy " Phantom....

sharkrider

I'd never get away with that!

Little shed or storage box thing outside maybe?

Got one of those plastic ones from Amazon for £50 in the last flash sale season. Fits 2 full sets of wheels and a few more bits like shovels, petrol cans etc. Was dubious at first but it leaves me more space for engines and stuff in the garage :)

bit worried about Daddy Phantom.... there is a ticking noise on full boost, thats getting louder..... :( someone who followed me yesterday on a drive said there was some visable blue smoke...

I think it may be about to implode :(

update time: its still alive..... thrashed it to death for a few hundred miles at the lakes camping do, and it survived.....

I can confirm it spits fire out the exhaust! lol.... (and it smokes a little :( )

the rattly noise is a little louder, so been to my tame mech today..... seems I have an exhaust leak nuder the engine bay..... probably the connection of the exhaust to the turbo, this is the probably cause of the noise... its booked in next thursday to be looked at, hopefully cure it!

he told me not to worry about the little puffs of smoke now and then, as long as its not using loads of oil (which it isnt) ....

hopefully it will be right as rain soon! I may try the catch can mod see if its the breather system thats causing little bits of smoke....

fact is its bloody fast, from a previous vRS owner who came to the meet, we had a discussion.... I was thinking it may be running 220 bhp ish.... but seeing as he has a new golf R (DSG too) , and between 30-70mph, my vRS is only slightly slower, he thinks it could be running more power than that! I will have to get it on a RR soon....

anyway... the hope is, its not about to implode, and all is well, bar an ill fitting exhaust ..... may have to have some "copper" bolts to fix it to the turbo better.... we'll see....

I'll update after Thursday!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well..... after all my stressing.... the car has been in, was was back the same afternoon, all well, no big bills.... all it was is this:

IMG_1848.jpg

the turbo/downpipe seal...... got some new bolts on for good measure too! :)

I love a cheap easy fix!!

then I went and did something stupid, opened the car , put keys in ignition, opened bonnet, was going to check for leaks ect .... and the drivers door, shut, and the car locked everything!!!!

got the guys from the garage over to break in for me! lol......

I don't care if it costs £60, I'm getting a new key cut now!!!

IMG_1850.jpg

well I must say, the car is SO much better, no funny noises, engine is smooth quiet and strong! exhaust sounds better too!

its like a new car! I think it must have been ****ed from when I had it, or a new gasket wasn't used when the exhaust went on....

on the downside, my car no longer detects when the drivers door is opened :( bugger, you fix one thing and another brakes! :o

ah well... I'll look into it...

• Like 2

on the downside, my car no longer detects when the drivers door is opened :( bugger, you fix one thing and another brakes! :o

So common on Fabias/Ibizas too. Micro switch somewhere iirc? Replacing the lock with a good one fixes it, not a pleasant job. :(

• Like 1

So common on Fabias/Ibizas too. Micro switch somewhere iirc? Replacing the lock with a good one fixes it, not a pleasant job. :(

hmmmm Haydn said I would have to replace the lock....

seems to have been working today... showing on the dash, and beeping with lights, hopefully it will be a one off, but hell its an old car!! lol..

Couldnt agree more, fitted my coilovers last night and today my indicators die! Relays seizing I think, im sure I have heard its common on these and golfs

• Like 1

Couldnt agree more, fitted my coilovers last night and today my indicators die! Relays seizing I think, im sure I have heard its common on these and golfs

I beleive its usually the hazzard switch failing that takes out your indicators.... try replacing the hazzard switch ;)

Don't do what I did and get a new lock from a scrap-yard without testing it. I did that "while I was there" and after taking out the "new" one, taking mine out, putting the new one in and putting everything back together, window regulator and handle ect it still didn't work and the door handle needed to be pulled hard to open so I decided to change it back. Window regulator back out, lock barrel out and locks changed over all back together with old lock and now outside handle wouldn't open at all. Had a search on here after Croft and found that it was the cable that needed adjusting in the end of the handle as I hadn't seated it right. So lock barrel out again and cable adjusted now it works. Still have to unlock it from the inside but oh well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have been to the new forest meet this weekend, and I must say the car handled the 790 miles we did perfectly, without issue, or fault....

getting to like this car as a long distance cruiser/family wagon!

Would have loved to have gotten down to this bu had no choice but to work as boss got married over the weekend. Hope you had a great time and Lee didn't damage you too much when he ran you over :D

• Like 1