'Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Rooted

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• the UK should REMAIN in the EU
    • the UK should LEAVE the EU

No idea who made up the question. But i posted in a poll / post after reading what it might be, and i am not a politician.

The question in the title & poll on Briskoda is that has been agreed that the UK Government will be allowed to ask if the UK Government decide to have a Referendum on the UK leaving the European Union..

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Yes.

Too many things are tied up in Europe, particularly our employment. Having restrictions on trade may well undermine a large portion of our jobs.

When you take migration (which most contribute via taxation more than they receive) and the human rights act (which was Churchill's baby to prevent another war in Europe) we actually do very well through Europe.

We can move freely, eu laws limit our working hours, ensure all states have broadly similar laws and rights.

I think if most people against Europe buried down into their employers ties with Europe, trade, financial ties, people might be a bit surprised how much saying no would affect everyone directly.

We're too far in to adopt a Swiss EU relationship - and that isn't as rosie as people think. Switzerland is an expensive country and their products are much more expensive than others from within the EU.

• Like 4

To answer your question -Yes

We should definitely do one or the other :)

Honest answer, ask me two years ago, I'd have said yes. Now, I'm not so sure, at least things are ****ed in a stable way at the minute, and we have Europe stopping Cameron from chucking out the bill of Human Rights and anything else that his mates want him to do.

But we're pretty much guaranteed to always be Europe's bitch as long as we're in.

The question really is would you rather be ****ed by Cameron or Merkel?

Edited by StevesTruck

Four months to a poll on whcih we will no doubt be given zero useful information.

I sit very undecided as I have a very sceptical view of the Habitats Directive with millions spent every year to trap the common (in the UK) great grested newt, not to mention the vast project delays they cause, as well as the current £500m+ project currently being planned for West Cumbria to protect one river population of Pearl Mussels who have survived with the current situation for the last however many years quite happily.

Plus I detest the constant flow of people into the UK primarily from  a simple logistics point of view. 336,000 people last year must equate to around 100,000 new home (total was 118,000 so not much clearance of the backlog), not to mention current and future pressure on health, education, transport. Simplistically you would be looking at an additional 10 hospitals per year to cater for this many people - not strictly true as they are likely younger and will need less medical care at the moment, but they will in the future. On the pretext of net benefit or otherwise to the economy the figures are marginal and possibly just point to propping up the fiscal pyramid rather than any attempts to fix it.

Finally I disagree with the role and a fair few judgments arising from the ECHR which while not part of the EU is a requirement of membership. 

That said the uncertainty of leaving is also a big factor, so currently undecided.

No idea who made up the question. But i posted in a poll / post after reading what it might be, and i am not a politician.

The question in the title & poll on Briskoda is that has been agreed that the UK Government will be allowed to ask if the UK Government decide to have a Referendum on the UK leaving the European Union..

The question for the referendum will be: 'Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union?'

The question in the Briskoda poll cannot be answered, because yes and no give the same answer.

• Like 2

We import more from the EU than we export there, so any trade barriers raised would have a sizeable impact on employment in the EU, so the idea that anything is really going to change with regard to trade is a non-starter.

The ultimate difference between staying or leaving is minimal, so it's down to how much control we wish to maintain ourselves and how much we wish to cede to Europe.

Despite what Cameron and Osborne say, a vote to leave will be followed by another referendum in which Europe would give more ground, so I believe a vote to leave is a win-win situation (plus Scotland might vote for independence too, so it could be a win-win-win situation  :D )

• Like 2

Lots of reason to vote YES, only a few to vote NO.  I am one of the view people who would probably do more business if we leave the EU as my main job is ensuring the customs entries done by my top ten firm are done correct customs Entries.

We would anticipate a huge update in work with all those goods movements then requiring customs entries.  There would be costs for doing those entries and collection of import duties (whether we would adopt the EU customs tariff or come up with our own, usually takes years to set up Free Trade Agreements and the US has already set it is not interested in setting up a FTA with the UK).  All the big logistics firms are mainland European, Japanese or US pretty much.

We could control our borders better and being ex-customs I can appreciate how hard that is, thousands would still come in illegally.  I wonder which 3 EU country's commissioners would get appointed to manage our BREXIT, how about Greece, Italy and Spain?  It will take 2 years after the vote to go through this process. I just want a strong UK economy so my British pounds go as far as possible abroad, not looking good currently or looking forward for that aspect whatever the outcome.   

Edited by lol-lol

I can't understand how rational thinking people would voluntarily cede power to an un-elected group of corrupt officials to dictate our laws. If we are given the opportunity to separate our selves from this FIFA like power structure we should grab it with both hands and "do one". Trade and Jobs are always touted as the pro's to europe. There is absolutely no reason that we couldn't offset any loss in trade or skilled jobs with other countries outside the EU and there is absolutley no evidence to suggest they will stop trading with us. They need us far more than we need them. We just need to get the Common Market establish free trade agreements its not hard. Europe is a sinking ship i'd rather not be in it when it goes down.

Rather than the corrupt self serving politicians we have in the UK?  We vote EU Members of parliament like we do UK MPs.  Our current UK government received 36% of the vote.

Take car production as a key sector.  The EU mainland produce enough cars to serve their needs.  Us on this website mainly buy EU cars.   If we left the EU then the remainder of the EU could go straight to charging 10% on imports of cars for the UK.  BMW Mini and Jaguar Land Rover are already moving jobs and production to the EU mainland ie Defender and Mini.  If yo want to continue to want to but a Skoda, VW etc then you would find the extra duty and the growing weakness of GBP over the EURO is and will make all that we import from the EU, and other non-EU countries increasingly expensive.  

Most trade deals 5 to 10 years to set up so if done properly I doubt we would actually leave the EU until the middle of the next decade if we do it without huge economic pain.

I think we should go back to the EEC which is what we joined, this is a good move for trading. There should not be any devoloution of any form of government to europe.

John

• Like 1

I remember that Ireland had a referendum to decide whether to leave the EU, & the populace voted to leave. So then the Irish Government launched another referendum (after imposing political pressure on the voters to stay in), whereupon the populace voted to stay in.

Does anybody really believe that Cameron would let us leave the EU? Too many vested interests, too many people on the gravy train.

Just like they wouldn't let Greece leave, in spite of all the threats.

No my friends, we're in it for the duration.

• Like 1

I believe that we, the voters, should be able to elect those who represent us, make our laws and determine where and how our taxes are spent. The current EU has far too much say in how we run our business and I have little say in who is elected to make those decisions. If I dislike what our government is doing, I want to be able to have my vote to remove them at the next election. The current system does not allow me to do that.

And being able to vote for one or other MEP does not satisfy my craving for self-governance.

So I vote 'out'!

I can't understand how rational thinking people would voluntarily cede power to an un-elected group of corrupt officials to dictate our laws. If we are given the opportunity to separate our selves from this FIFA like power structure we should grab it with both hands and "do one". Trade and Jobs are always touted as the pro's to europe. There is absolutely no reason that we couldn't offset any loss in trade or skilled jobs with other countries outside the EU and there is absolutley no evidence to suggest they will stop trading with us. They need us far more than we need them. We just need to get the Common Market establish free trade agreements its not hard. Europe is a sinking ship i'd rather not be in it when it goes down.

The biggest issue the out campaign dodge all the time is how many of these laws thrust upon us (not entirely true) for the most part have a positive impact in our lives.

So many things you don't even realise impact us every day in a positive way. But all we seem to hear about is asylum migrants, economic eu migrants and anytime some criminal uses the HRA to avoid being deported etc etc.

A leaflet we got recently had stats that UK migration to Europe is broadly in line with migration from EU to the UK.

We already know from the EU election campaigns that UKIPs claims about economic migration costs is BS, and that these economic migrants actually contribute more in taxes than they receive as a whole.

There's also a deliberate agenda to avoid distinction between immigration, economic migrants and refugees, or that a number of laws and issues labelled as EU interference is actually UK laws and interference.

I also can't trust anything from a party so anti EU and keen to protect UK interests that they rarely turn up to vote on key issues which directly affect us, and when they do have their leader stand up and ramble like a mad man.

• Like 1

I believe that we, the voters, should be able to elect those who represent us, make our laws and determine where and how our taxes are spent. The current EU has far too much say in how we run our business and I have little say in who is elected to make those decisions. If I dislike what our government is doing, I want to be able to have my vote to remove them at the next election. The current system does not allow me to do that.

And being able to vote for one or other MEP does not satisfy my craving for self-governance.

So I vote 'out'!

Unless we leave and stop trading with the EU that won't happen.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

So I vote 'out'!

Depends who your MEP is and which groups they affiliate with.

Our MEPs should be standing up for us, but looking at my own MEP (UKIP) he does very little it seems.

You can check yours at http://www.votewatch.eu

Shows attendance, voting record and any group affiliations.

Nigel Farage is interesting to look up, and your opinion of him may well change when you do.

Rather than the corrupt self serving politicians we have in the UK?  We vote EU Members of parliament like we do UK MPs.  Our current UK government received 36% of the vote.

Take car production as a key sector.  The EU mainland produce enough cars to serve their needs.  Us on this website mainly buy EU cars.   If we left the EU then the remainder of the EU could go straight to charging 10% on imports of cars for the UK.  BMW Mini and Jaguar Land Rover are already moving jobs and production to the EU mainland ie Defender and Mini.  If yo want to continue to want to but a Skoda, VW etc then you would find the extra duty and the growing weakness of GBP over the EURO is and will make all that we import from the EU, and other non-EU countries increasingly expensive.  

Most trade deals 5 to 10 years to set up so if done properly I doubt we would actually leave the EU until the middle of the next decade if we do it without huge economic pain.

I often hear this argument but if you actually pull it apart and use an analogy what your basically saying is that. 'If you were a Slave bound into servitude you wouldn't want freedom because someone else will enslave you and treat you just as bad', so better the devil you know attitude. Our Elected Politicians are exactly that elected in fair democratic elections. The fact that the electorate will believe any old tripe during the campaign and are too lazy to read the manifestos is not a reason to instate a dictator. The influx of ex soviet nations and Eastern countries etc into the union has meant that people from completely different patriarchal and backward cultures are now making up a majority of MEP's Vetoing anything sensible and proposing things that aren't suitable for an established modern society like we have in the UK. We don't need dictating to by some backward **** hole we practically ruled the world and historically invented the legal system and financial systems that these countries have copied and ******ized. Im not yearning for or have a rose tinted view of the Old Empire. I realise we are now just a small player on the world stage but i would rather decide our representation on the world stage however small rather than being told by Brussels what our place is and what we should do.

I voted yes, as the EU will only take it seriously if we start to leave .

Reasons for getting out- slowly but surely the EU non elected are determining the laws of the UK.Before long, we might not have a House of commons, as it'll be like the Vichy French Government in WW2.

Then as to the "DEAL"- history should remind us of thge last UK PM that returned from a continental meeting with a "DEAL".

• Like 2

Our MEPs should be standing up for us, but looking at my own MEP (UKIP) he does very little it seems.

This makes me laugh every time i hear this. The irony of an anti EU MEP not attending is clearly lost on you.

Every time on Question time a UKIP representative was on the panel they used to get berated for not turning up and 

claiming loads of expenses. How else are they supposed to point out the hypocrisy and lunacy of the EU parliament?

Its rumored that 1/4 of the MEPs are anti-EU stance how crazy is that? and the others are from poor nations who

are glad of the handouts and top ups.

• Like 1

This makes me laugh every time i hear this. The irony of an anti EU MEP not attending is clearly lost on you.

Every time on Question time a UKIP representative was on the panel they used to get berated for not turning up and

claiming loads of expenses. How else are they supposed to point out the hypocrisy and lunacy of the EU parliament?

Its rumored that 1/4 of the MEPs are anti-EU stance how crazy is that? and the others are from poor nations who

are glad of the handouts and top ups.

But that achieves nothing. The irony is they are saying how bad the system is, whilst at the same time using it for their benefit and actively disengaging from doing anything. What will that achieve or change? Nothing.

It's like a football player going to a match, refusing to play and then complaining they never score.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk