rear ended at about 10mph

Sitting at a set of temporary traffic lights tonight the lights were at red.

I looked in my rear view mirror to see a set of headlights coming to fast just new he was gonna hit me. felt the bump he almost stoped in time might have even been slower than 10mph.

pull over swapped details he was driving a Ford galaxy no damage.

I have about a 1 inch crese in my bumper it's not cracked the paint.

The boot opens and closes alright the bumper space on each side looks the same

I've been underneath the crumple zones both look ok I, ve had the spare out and checked the floor of the boot it looks ok. Advise please guys it is dark I, ll check it over in the morning in day light but i, m thinking if that's all I see and it looks ok in daylight can't be arsed with that hassel of insurance company's over a small crease might just leave it at that what do you recon guys? I, m kinda just glad to be ok when I fist saw the headlights I thought this is gonna hurt but he somehow almost stoped.

I'd get it in to the garage just for a check and I'd get it repaired too. Might not bother you now but come selling time you will be glad you did. Go through an accident management company if you don't want to involve your own insurance but you must declare it to them either way as a 'non fault/no claim' accident. If you don't your policy could be invalidated in event of a further accident. You know what insurance companies are like, if God forbid you have an accident and you're at fault then they could say previous damage contributed to the accident then not pay out. I'm cynical I know but dot your 'I' and cross your 't' and hopefully you come out on top.

Glad to hear you're not hurt and presumably neither is the woman that caused it [emoji87]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sitting at a set of temporary traffic lights tonight the lights were at red.

I looked in my rear view mirror to see a set of headlights coming to fast just new he was gonna hit me. felt the bump he almost stoped in time might have even been slower than 10mph.

pull over swapped details he was driving a Ford galaxy no damage.

I have about a 1 inch crese in my bumper it's not cracked the paint.

The boot opens and closes alright the bumper space on each side looks the same

I've been underneath the crumple zones both look ok I, ve had the spare out and checked the floor of the boot it looks ok. Advise please guys it is dark I, ll check it over in the morning in day light but i, m thinking if that's all I see and it looks ok in daylight can't be arsed with that hassel of insurance company's over a small crease might just leave it at that what do you recon guys? I, m kinda just glad to be ok when I fist saw the headlights I thought this is gonna hurt but he somehow almost stoped.

Could always have a look on eBay at prices of secondhand bumpers, speak to the chap at fault, explain you don't want to go through insurance if you can avoid it (I'm sure he wouldn't want to either) and just ask him for the cost of a new bumper, or have it repaired by a independent garage and send him the bill? 

I'd get it in to the garage just for a check and I'd get it repaired too. Might not bother you now but come selling time you will be glad you did. Go through an accident management company if you don't want to involve your own insurance but you must declare it to them either way as a 'non fault/no claim' accident. If you don't your policy could be invalidated in event of a further accident. You know what insurance companies are like, if God forbid you have an accident and you're at fault then they could say previous damage contributed to the accident then not pay out. I'm cynical I know but dot your 'I' and cross your 't' and hopefully you come out on top.

Glad to hear you're not hurt and presumably neither is the woman that caused it [emoji87]

yeah I'm thinking I had better get it checked properly now. Is it true that even though the other driver accepts responsibility and it be his insurance paying out that it will affect my insurance as well ?

It's not your fault, go through insurance. This happened to me on a car park at work and the girl who did it tried saying she didn't. It was on camera and she promised to pay for repair. I manage where I work so had access to the CCTV. I sent that to my insurance and she had to claim on hers, she wasn't happy. Cover all corners mate. Otherwise you might be disappointed.

yeah I'm thinking I had better get it checked properly now. Is it true that even though the other driver accepts responsibility and it be his insurance paying out that it will affect my insurance as well ?

Nope.

I had a bad smash back in 2012. I do have to tell insurance companies.. But its never made a difference to any premiums.

3 non fault claims in 2 years here (car pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, not in car but hit and run but witnessed and some dozy **** looking at their phone in a car park who rear ended me). My premiums have gone down in that time period by over £100. We're with Aviva and I think it is very much company dependent. 

Do it through the insurers; no worries about will they / won't they pay after the repairs have been done. 

3 non fault claims in 2 years here (car pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, not in car but hit and run but witnessed and some dozy **** looking at their phone in a car park who rear ended me). My premiums have gone down in that time period by over £100. We're with Aviva and I think it is very much company dependent. 

Do it through the insurers; no worries about will they / won't they pay after the repairs have been done.

the wheels are in motion should have a call tomorow about another car while mine is getting fixed. Its only a small ding but it's peace of mind that there is nothing serious underneath the car.they are looking at 100% from his insurance.
  • Like 2

For me personally I've been in a non fault accident and it definitely added cost to my premium for a couple of years after. Apparently being in an accident, even if it's not your fault, makes you much more likely to have an accident that is your fault in the next 3 years, so your premiums go up.

A load of BS I know, but that's what I was told by several different insurance companies anyway.

For me personally I've been in a non fault accident and it definitely added cost to my premium for a couple of years after. Apparently being in an accident, even if it's not your fault, makes you much more likely to have an accident that is your fault in the next 3 years, so your premiums go up.

A load of BS I know, but that's what I was told by several different insurance companies anyway.

+1 Been in 2 non faults in the last 5 years and also added to my premiums, especially when it came to renewals.

• Like 1

That's what I always thought too.

One no fault accident over 5 years ago. It added to my car insurance (LV) for 5 years and to my wife's car insurance (AVIVA) on which I was a named driver for a similar period.