Engine Fault: Workshop!

My Skoda Superb has driven 90,000 faultless miles since I bought it in December 2011.  Tonight, about 3 miles into my journey home, the glow plug light illuminated and the central display showed the words Engine Fault: Workshop!

The car went into a limp home mode and could just about reach 30 mph.

I drove it for another 4 miles, then pulled into a service station.  I stopped the ignition for a few moment, restarted it and the car drove completely normally for the rest of my 4 mile journey home.

Ideally, I would pop it into my Skoda dealer tomorrow morning to have the fault codes checked out.  Annoyingly, the Skoda dealer in Isleworth less than a mile from where I work closed last year, which means that my nearest Skoda dealer is over 6 miles from work.  As a Consultant Anaesthetist, I can't work from home as I am busy in the operating theatre on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Has anyone had any experience of this fault?  

I just hope the car keeps going until Monday which is realistically the earliest I can get it to the dealer, without affecting my patient's operations.

Hi there - sorry to hear of your woes. I don't run a diesel but from reading (mainly on Briskoda) various threads relating to this the problem is normally associated with the EGR (exhaust gas re circulation) valve clogged up or sticking (there is cleaner available I believe), turbo vanes getting sticky (?) and binding or an electrical fault. It could even be a glowplug warning saying they need changing...does the manual say they go for a limited life? I don't know on that....Mechanically the engines are pretty tough. Either way, as you experienced, the car does its thing 'just in case' and goes into limp mode.

Ideally you need to have the fault codes checked at a garage - this way you will know what, exactly, is causing the issue.

I hope you get it sorted....

Dave

My Skoda Superb has driven 90,000 faultless miles since I bought it in December 2011.  Tonight, about 3 miles into my journey home, the glow plug light illuminated and the central display showed the words Engine Fault: Workshop!

The car went into a limp home mode and could just about reach 30 mph.

I drove it for another 4 miles, then pulled into a service station.  I stopped the ignition for a few moment, restarted it and the car drove completely normally for the rest of my 4 mile journey home.

Ideally, I would pop it into my Skoda dealer tomorrow morning to have the fault codes checked out.  Annoyingly, the Skoda dealer in Isleworth less than a mile from where I work closed last year, which means that my nearest Skoda dealer is over 6 miles from work.  As a Consultant Anaesthetist, I can't work from home as I am busy in the operating theatre on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Has anyone had any experience of this fault?  

I just hope the car keeps going until Monday which is realistically the earliest I can get it to the dealer, without affecting my patient's operations.

Phone a mobile diagnostic to come to you

Also consider turbo actuator, I had the same fault and limp mode.

It would happen under acceleration/load over 3000 revs.

Part is about £150.

The actuator can be held by stuck VGT operating lever/rings but puts up a different code not sure if the actuator is vacuum or electric, its possible to uncouple the linkage, set the arm halfway and driver normally 

• Like 1

Many thanks for all of your help.

I managed to get it looked at by Willis Skoda this afternoon.  It turned out to the the EGR - apparently it was the second one they had seen in the past few weeks.  The other Skoda owner ignored the warning for a few weeks and then needed to have both EGR and his Diesel Particulate Filter replaced!  They decided that it was inadvisable to drive my car in case the same happened to mine.  So, I am now in their loan car and my Superb is awaiting its repair on Monday, once all of the parts have arrived.

The staff at Willis were very helpful and even offered me a Celebration chocolate just before they told me the likely cost of repair.  I'll let you know how much it all costs once I get the final bill but it should keep the reception well stocked in miniature chocolates for some time to come.

I know this is bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted but is it worth buying an extended warranty for my car?  Is it now entering the danger zone when expensive repairs are likely to be required as it heads towards its 5th birthday later this year?  All being well, I do plan to keep it for another 2 or 3 years as it is otherwise as new.  I have had a Warranty Direct policy on a VW Touran in the past, which only partially covered some of the repairs that the car required for component failures when it reached a similar age.

• Like 1

The EGR valve and cooler are a known weak spot with a few failure modes. Not just with VAG but the same type of cooler is used on a few different makes of car and they have issues to.

They aren't the cheapest of parts, nor are they that easy to get to sadly. New parts at the latest revision are modified now I believe.

I wouldn't bother with a warranty, it's just another insurance policy, if you don't use it then it is money wasted.

Put what you would pay each month for a warranty into a separate account, it is then there if you need it, and if you don't it will pay for something else instead of the warranty companies Christmas party.