Devalued Yeti's? Where do we stand?

Jamienlewis

Has anyone else notice in the last couple of months since the VAG scandal there's been a cut in the price buying new/ nearly new Yeti's?

In particular, I was looking at the value of the Yeti Monte Carlo, as I picked up my ex demonstrator on 1st Oct - 15 reg. At the time the prices were roughly between 20k and £22 k for nearly new ex demo, with only a few 000's miles on the clock (I haggled mine for 20k with a 2500 deposit contribution and thought it was a good deal).

Now, lower mileage 15 and 65 plate (and new) models are being sold from £17995 and no more than 20k for the newer/ brand new models.

My concern is that as a relatively new buyer (Oct 15) I've lost loads of money due to a devaluation of the price of the model. I'm also concerned whether the GFV can be achieved when it comes to the end of the term of finance.

Have I over thought this, or do I have a valid point here? Has there been a substantial cut in the values due to the VAG scandal and the dealers trying to shift stock? If so, where does it leave us the innocent buyers in all of this?

Grateful for your thoughts?

Short term it may have an effect but long term I cannot see it having any effect at all.

As mine is now a year old and I usually keep a car for 6 to 10 years I'm pretty sure I'll not be affected especially as I got about £3000 off mine when I ordered it prior to being built.

• Like 2

Bought mine in March £18500

Had a trade in value on mine at 11000

7500 in 10 months yes we are ******

Why were you selling so soon? and what was that figure for trading in against?.

Sounds like someone heard you coming.

Edited by Urrell

So many aspects to the question

How old are you?

Are you a car enthusiast?

Can you afford to indulge yourself or, on a strict budget?

What sort of work will the vehicle do?.

Everything is changing rapidly (obsolescence) and at an accelerating rate with cars of limited design lifespan and depreciation, subject to evermore stringent emmission legislation and complicated by the approaching alternative power sources.

We love our cars but sadly they are rapidly becoming white goods due to technological advances seen in shorter model 'shelf life'.

But

As rational as I try to be, it's my vice/addiction also...........I need help )))

Like investing

If you're not happy.......don't

• Like 1

Bought mine in March £18500

Had a trade in value on mine at 11000

7500 in 10 months yes we are ******

Unfortunately that is not the "value" of the car but what they are prepared to give you for it to enable them to make a profit on reselling it. I bet if you were going to buy it off their forecourt it would be nearer an asking price of £15,000.

Ian

Just appears to be a sharp decline in forecourt values at such a short space of time.

I've never bought a vehicle that seems to depreciate so rapidly... I might as well have bought a Chevrolet at this rate!! 

Ryeman- I'm not sure I get the purpose of your list of questions at the beginning of your post? The question I'm generally asking is the rate the vehicles have devalued, and should we be concerned as it seems customers are taking the brunt of the VAG scandal. Not sure the relevance of asking age, or whether a car enthusiast... I think anyone buying a car wants to think they are getting good value for money, and the possibility of strong resale values. Don't you think?

• Like 1

Just appears to be a sharp decline in forecourt values at such a short space of time.

I've never bought a vehicle that seems to depreciate so rapidly... I might as well have bought a Chevrolet at this rate!! 

Ryeman- I'm not sure I get the purpose of your list of questions at the beginning of your post? The question I'm generally asking is the rate the vehicles have devalued, and should we be concerned as it seems customers are taking the brunt of the VAG scandal. Not sure the relevance of asking age, or whether a car enthusiast... I think anyone buying a car wants to think they are getting good value for money, and the possibility of strong resale values. Don't you think?

It was a bit philosophical I admit but when your young you tend to just shrug it off and not value the quid as much as later in life.

You've got plenty of time to learn from your mistakes and getting ripped off for your naivety.

In Australia we have gone through a massive reduction in the purchasing price of new vehicles - being much cheaper and vastly more advanced for the same money as 20 odd years ago.

That's why I call them white goods......cheap to buy but overtaken by tech so quickly and built for recycling; little residual value.

Longer you keep the car the less the problem. I kept my Fabia vRS 11 years from new, and hope to keep the Yeti a similar length of time.

You're not an 'addict' then.

I've been sent for recovery. ((((

My thoughts exactly, Jamienlewis.  But then I often fail to see the logic in much of the content of our Antipodean contributor.

• Like 2

I currently run a Golf 2.0 140 GT, and I've ordered a Yeti last week.

I'm not px'ing my car, I'll sell privately, but when I enquired re PX for a used Golf recently, I was offered around £1600 less than I expected in exchange.

This concurs with an article discussed on Radio 4 recently, discussing VW owners losses. There are a few solicitors putting together no win no fee cases in the event VW don't reimburse owners of "cheat" cars like mine, or they lose power and fuel efficiency after the fix. The consensus is that after signing up several thousand cases, £1600 is the average loss owners of affected VW's have lost when selling their cars.

I thought the only affected VW group 2.0 TDi cars, are MK6 Golfs, and similar Passats? Are Skodas also in the mix?

I'm assuming the car I've ordered is a Euro 6 compliant car, and not subject to the scandal. This being the case are recent Skodas also not affected just as Golf 7's are clear too?

My thoughts exactly, Jamienlewis.  But then I often fail to see the logic in much of the content of our Antipodean contributor.

Maybe because it IS an "antipodean" perspective.

We are inundated with Asian white goods which you apparently don't get as imports

We are a genuinely free trade (exploitable) country with comparatively few 'old' cars on the roads......fewer and fewer people want/or are forced to buy second hand because new is so cheap ........second hand also.

Longer you keep the car the less the problem. I kept my Fabia vRS 11 years from new, and hope to keep the Yeti a similar length of time.

Quite!

I'll probably keep mine for another year at least, and as it has already done over 100k miles I don't expect it to be worth much.

Quite!

I'll probably keep mine for another year at least, and as it has already done over 100k miles I don't expect it to be worth much.

On the bright side when you want a new one the prices will be much more affordable

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"I'm assuming the car I've ordered is a Euro 6 compliant car, and not subject to the scandal. This being the case are recent Skodas also not affected just as Golf 7's are clear too?"

The 150bhp 2.0 TDi engines are not affected..... :sun:

I currently run a Golf 2.0 140 GT, and I've ordered a Yeti last week.

I'm not px'ing my car, I'll sell privately, but when I enquired re PX for a used Golf recently, I was offered around £1600 less than I expected in exchange.

This concurs with an article discussed on Radio 4 recently, discussing VW owners losses. There are a few solicitors putting together no win no fee cases in the event VW don't reimburse owners of "cheat" cars like mine, or they lose power and fuel efficiency after the fix. The consensus is that after signing up several thousand cases, £1600 is the average loss owners of affected VW's have lost when selling their cars.

I thought the only affected VW group 2.0 TDi cars, are MK6 Golfs, and similar Passats? Are Skodas also in the mix?

I'm assuming the car I've ordered is a Euro 6 compliant car, and not subject to the scandal. This being the case are recent Skodas also not affected just as Golf 7's are clear too?

Can I correct your spelling of solicitors...vultures.

The fix is not compulsory.

You mention the GFV in your original post - the G of GFV stands for guaranteed so, if you are on PCP, the future value is protected. If your car is worth less than the GFV at the end of your contract you can simply give the car back to Skoda and any additional dep'n is their problem. If you want to keep the car past the end of the contract then again the dep'n isn't an issue until you finally want to get rid of it which, if you keep it long enough, any difference will be neglible.

The only people who will be adversely affected by a slump in values are those not on PCP contracts or those trying to get out of PCP contracts early.

Additionally, you haven't had your car long so you don't know what the long term dep'n will be like anyway. Once the VW scandal and any E6 angst has died down there's nothing to say values won't go back up.

Edited by rriggs
  • Like 1

All sounds quite sensible/helpful. You just get the feeling of being a little bit mugged off in all of this nonsense...

Rriggs- the reason I mentioned GFV is that I've usually come off in quite a good position at the end of other PCP after putting down an original deposit, and I use equity towards the next new model. I guess this time with the knock on the prices I won't be in so much luck!

I think I'll just enjoy the car going forward as planned and face this issue later down the line!

• Like 1

I stand quite well with  my Yeti, no worry about the VW diesel Issue, I bought a Petrol :D   :)

Indeed, but your Fuelly says 28.5 mpg suggesting you're using some 58% more fuel (compared to the 150 TDI returning 45mpg), or £580 every 10,000 miles. :)