Seat's Yeti alternative - Ateca

Dr Zoidberg

Isn't this stepping away from the Yeti's raison d'etre, ie being different to every other SUV on the market?

I think it looks good 10x better than the Yeti. The yeti's back end is a bit too square. The Yeti is very practical though and this is another down fall. 99% of Yeti owners have a disabled badge and load their motorized scooters/wheelchairs in the back which is why I could never bring myself to won one.

I think it looks good 10x better than the Yeti. The yeti's back end is a bit too square. The Yeti is very practical though and this is another down fall. 99% of Yeti owners have a disabled badge and load their motorized scooters/wheelchairs in the back which is why I could never bring myself to won one.

I think you're confusing the Yeti with the Roomster.

I've never seen a Yeti with a disabled badge. I think the rear is too small for wheelchairs,etc.

(unlike the superb.) :D

• Like 4

I think you're confusing the Yeti with the Roomster.

I've never seen a Yeti with a disabled badge. I think the rear is too small for wheelchairs,etc.

(unlike the superb.) :D

I'm just bitter because the Mrs wouldn't let me buy a Yeti lol

• Like 1

Wow, have I got news for you guys. 99% of Yeti owners DO NOT HAVE BLUE BADGES. Also, even with a space saver spare, I regularly carry a collapsible wheelchair for an elderly relative without any problems.

Please check your facts & one of the main reasons many of us have a Yeti is because we like the versatility & space of the rear seat configuration. OK, it might look like a van with windows to some eyes, but a stylish & practical van at that, but if you don't like it, go buy something else.

Rant over.

I see in the video the wheels and tyres are 245/40 /19.

It makes the 17" wheels on the Yeti seem very sensible...

My CR-V came with a very similar wheel set-up, having 245/45/19's and I was very unsure about what the ride would be like, however, I have to say it's more than acceptable. In fact the ride on my winter set up, which is 225/60/17, is better but not dramatically so. You may find it's not as bad as you might think.

I think I've just seen my Yeti's replacement :)

Ticks all my boxes.

Hmmm....187 BHP TDI manual. :notme:

That bit caught my eye too :)

They remap quite nicely, Stage 1 map to over 230bhp IIRC. (Approx 1/3 of Richard's Yeti when it's been further tweaked for this year!)

As we've said before it's all getting rather confusing within VWG as there is getting less and less distinction between the different marques within the group.

Skoda and Seat have models which look more Audi than Audi and now joined by this offering from Seat. Which is very nice.

If I was in the market for a new SUV or estate then it's getting even more difficult to decide. Not necessarily a bad thing though! Just wondering at VWG's marketing strategy.

Very obviously, they will use the biggest optional wheels on the promo pictures, but the standard ones that most people will have are going to be much smaller.

Let's hope so! 

I wonder if the Skoda equivalent will be offered with the 360° camera system as on this model?

Depending on boot size, this is a contender as a replacement for my Octy Scout.

Well SuperbTWM - having difficulty with your remark concerning blue badges and Yeti owners. The motability list covers a multitude of vehicles. As in other walks of life, maybe some are more discerning than others - I had not realised that there was such a stigma attached to those with a disability. Believe it or not, disabled people actually think just the same as other humans. Rant over.

• Like 2

There's some good pics. & info on the official SEAT UK website.

Gives boot size as 510 litres, but no mention of a spare wheel.

19" wheels, electronic handbrake, variable - eight colours! - "mood lighting" in the door cards & dash, obviously aimed at a younger Cashcow driver, no offence intended!

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far, the back end has got a bit of the new Fabia about it.

I'll be due for a change later this year, so I've put my name down for updates with a SEAT dealer within five miles of home.

Edited by Liobian

I'm just bitter because the Mrs wouldn't let me buy a Yeti lol

I thought I might get a few bites. You guys are too easy.

Hi SuperbTWM and welcome - we're a broad-minded bunch and will accept anybody no matter how obviously wrong they are.

Because of quote 1 I think we should let you enjoy the pleasure it's given you implied in quote 2.

But just asking, has your wife given her permission for you to hang around here with the cool dudes on the Yeti forum? And come on 'fess up - it's because the other Superb owners won't let you onto their rank isn't it?  :happy: Please feel free to treat this as your refuge from the mean people on your own forum and so you know we want you to feel welcome we've reserved a seat for you - just over there, next to Offnote in the area reserved for those without beards and sandals. 

• Like 2

With ref to bilun777 and x19 concerning wheel and tyre sizes, parked next to a BMW X5 in Bridlington the other day - it was shod with

295x25x23" wheels and tyres - now my 17" wheels looked tiny - but my Sprite, with 145x70x13" wheels would have looked like a supermarket trolley in comparison! However, size as they say is not everything. You can have as much fun in the Sprite at 50-60mph, and actually 'feel' what is happening - as you could travelling much faster in a modern car. In a way,all of that 'feel' has been dialled out of new cars. James Hunt drove an A35 van for the same reasons!

• Like 1

In both cases, with good direct steering ( Mini, and Minor) best way to a) scare yourself to death, and B) hopefully live to tell the tale was to replace the standard steering wheel with a MUCH smaller diameter one. I had (still have) a Mountney 11" (o/d) wheel, which went from one car to another. You could frighten yourself.....

Maybe it's a good thing that I daren't touch the wheel on the Yeti with a spanner for fear of something exploding!

Doesn't look like there is a petrol engine suited to towing, if the biggest they will offer will be a 1.4. 

Shame as it looks practical.

Some folks tow with the 1.2, so pretty sure the 1.4 TSi is not too bad (versus previous generation petrols at least). Not comparable to a diesel's torque of course (as I think you pointed out in the past). The new VW engines are meant to be 1.5Tsi s so that might be even better (if/when it makes it to Yeti2 or this). 

I do like the size of this Seat and it bodes well for Yeti2. 

Some folks tow with the 1.2, so pretty sure the 1.4 TSi is not too bad (versus previous generation petrols at least). Not comparable to a diesel's torque of course (as I think you pointed out in the past). The new VW engines are meant to be 1.5Tsi s so that might be even better (if/when it makes it to Yeti2 or this). 

I do like the size of this Seat and it bodes well for Yeti2. 

Agreed, but the only person I know of towing with a 1.2 is only towing a very small caravan. There is no way SWMBO would swap back to a caravan where we have to make up the bed or get claustrophobia in the small  loo, so we are sticking with a 1150kg caravan.

I thought I might get a few bites. You guys are too easy.

Perhaps you should raise your sights then or are you one of those people who go through life following the easy option?

Fred

There's some good pics. & info on the official SEAT UK website.

Gives boot size as 510 litres, but no mention of a spare wheel.

19" wheels, electronic handbrake, variable - eight colours! - "mood lighting" in the door cards & dash, obviously aimed at a younger Cashcow driver, no offence intended!

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far, the back end has got a bit of the new Fabia about it.

I'll be due for a change later this year, so I've put my name down for updates with a SEAT dealer within five miles of home.

I've been told by a local dealer that it won't be available in the UK until September earliest. However It has been added to my list of possible replacements for my Yeti.

fred 

Perhaps you should raise your sights then or are you one of those people who go through life following the easy option?

Fred

I was going to reply but given the quality of his posts and questionable intelligence it wasn't worth the bother.

• Like 1