Seat's Yeti alternative - Ateca

Dr Zoidberg

I rather like it....

SEAT site says their 1.4TSi engine is the one that drops to 2 cylinders when not under load.

Shame the current Yeti hasn't got that, but presumably the replacement Yeti will have it as I understand it's not now used by anything in the VW Group other than Skoda.

And the 4x4 versions of the Ateca has a higher boot floor which does reduce the boot capacity.

Quote from Autocar : " The Ateca’s boot capacity is rated at 510 litres, reducing to 485 litres on all-wheel drive versions. This is [still] significantly greater than the Qashqai’s standard 430 litres.

It'll be interesting to see if a spare wheel is available.

Edited by speedsport

Intrigued by "...the ability to wave your foot under the tailgate for it to open automatically".

Presumably, for security, it must recognise it's *your* foot.

So, what? Scan your boot six times so every angle is logged, or if you have one than one pair of shoes/boots, scan each? Then left or right? What would Blade Runner do?

:peek: 

Jests aside, nice looking car. I could a Yeti Mk3 looking similar. 

How did this thread get to James Hunt? Was anyone else captivated, as I was, in 1976 when Niki Lauda almost died defending his Formula 1 world championship against James Hunt? You couldn't make it up, disqualifications, reinstatements, dodgy scrutineering decisions, strange toxic fuel etc, etc. But the two racers actually liked each other. Now, back to the topic of the thread, guys............

• Like 1

Intrigued by "...the ability to wave your foot under the tailgate for it to open automatically".

Presumably, for security, it must recognise it's *your* foot.

The key has to be close to the tailgate (ie. in your pocket) for that to work as in the Kessy system on the doors.

• Like 1

How did this thread get to James Hunt? Was anyone else captivated, as I was, in 1976 when Niki Lauda almost died defending his Formula 1 world championship against James Hunt? You couldn't make it up, disqualifications, reinstatements, dodgy scrutineering decisions, strange toxic fuel etc, etc. But the two racers actually liked each other. Now, back to the topic of the thread, guys............

Bit slow aren't you?

And it's our prerogative to wander off topic now and then, that's what discussions do!

Anyone managed to find out exactly how big the new Atica will be? Can't find the dimensions on any website but, I suspect, it is similar to the 'Qashqai" and therefore significantly bigger than the current Yeti. I guess this means the new Yeti will be of a similar larger size as well. For me the current Yeti is exactly the right size so new Seat and Yeti could be too big.

Anyone managed to find out exactly how big the new Atica will be? Can't find the dimensions on any website but, I suspect, it is similar to the 'Qashqai" and therefore significantly bigger than the current Yeti. I guess this means the new Yeti will be of a similar larger size as well. For me the current Yeti is exactly the right size so new Seat and Yeti could be too big.

According to Auto Express its 4.36m long

current yeti is 4.22m so difference is under 6 inches in the old world

Edited by SurreyJohn

Surprised you make this statement as the article linked to in the original post clearly states .......

MQB platform, the Ateca is 4.36m long, which makes it just 2cm shorter than the Qashqai. It shares its 2.64m wheelbase with the Leon, while the 1.84m width and 1.6m height are also in line with the Qashqai.

1.84 width rules it out for me, although reference to a smaller sibling, based on the next Seat Ibiza, looks interesting.

I think you're confusing the Yeti with the Roomster.

I've never seen a Yeti with a disabled badge. I think the rear is too small for wheelchairs,etc.

(unlike the superb.) :D

Definitely not too small. My chair fits in fine, as did my scooter (although it was a boot scooter that disassembked into 5 parts). My Yeti also proudly sports a blue badge!

Well SuperbTWM - having difficulty with your remark concerning blue badges and Yeti owners. The motability list covers a multitude of vehicles. As in other walks of life, maybe some are more discerning than others - I had not realised that there was such a stigma attached to those with a disability. Believe it or not, disabled people actually think just the same as other humans. Rant over.

You'd be surprised how much stigma there is - the UK press and Government have been very efficient in painting those with disabilities or chronic ilnesses as being work shy, lazy scroungers that cheat the system (despite fraud in this area being very small).

I've lost count of the number of remarks etc I've had about having a motability car and a blue badge, usually I shut them up by loudly congratulating them on being the first human to have evolved with a built in MRI scanner,X-Ray and Genome Sequencer.

As to the Ateca, I quite like it, and I'd happily have a yellow or orange one - I was quite disappointed with the choices available with the Yeti.

If the diesels have a reasonable towing limit I'd definitely be interested, but I'm still more than happy with the Yeti.

• Like 3

Skoda is really not a volume seller in the UK, 75,000 or so vehicles first registered in the UK last year.

Many are Fleet Lease Vehicles.

But Skoda are selling a good few to Motability Finance outright, 

and a fair few are Yeti.

Good offers right now on Motability Lease vehicles and Nil or Low deposits.

(might help Skoda UK out with poor sales currently.)

http://arnoldclark.com/new-cars/motability/skoda

I think Ryeman hit it on the nail - the Yeti could own this niche, because the current shape is so distinctive, and DIFFERENT to the rest. Could you honestly pick out a Kia from a Cashcow etc if you just saw its silhouette. Whereas the Yeti, is just more Tonka!

In a small car park yesterday ( Mappleton, on the East Yorkshire coast), there were FOUR Yetis parked up! Maybe D-Cunningham has a point

Pulled the wraps of 'The Concept'  it says, before the Geneva show.

If Skoda want to Reveal the 'New Model', going on sale on such and such a date,

then Skoda Media Spin Department should just release Media Press Releases saying that.

As to a Skoda Yeti alternative, only if you are looking at the next models up maybe.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

• 2 weeks later...