Seat's Yeti alternative - Ateca

Dr Zoidberg

Mmmm! I like.

And if that's you in the picture Johann.. looking sharp!

Keep safe mate in Istanbul. When I last drove there it wasn't chaos ~ it was far worse. And this from somebody who spent time driving in Turin.

Haha no that's an Audi press picture. The one I was in was in the Audi centre inside the Istinye Park shopping mall here in Istanbul. Istanbul traffic only LOOKS like chaos but trust me it is pretty ordered chaos with people far more relaxed to give other people a chance than the "I must be in the front of the queue and get there first" mentality you get in the UK. There is no race here as in the UK. Strange. Nope you just dive in and without much effort you emerge the other side. My blood would boil ten times over in the UK with some of the things that happen here but end of the day when you realised that is just how it works and you ignore it, you learn to swim and go with the flow in Istanbul.

But back to the Ateca. It has very peculiar proportions and the same slab sided Leon dash. So for those two things alone totally off my shopping list. The Audi is the first "non-cookie cutter same design as the rest" Audi in decades. It looks great. Even in 1,0 litre 3 cylinder mode (which will sound amazing!) it gets my vote over both the Ateca and Tiguan (and current Yeti).

And they are all priced the same?

As I said, you will obviously get a smaller engined Audi for your say £25,000 than you would in an Ateca. Just how the VAG model works.

Thanks Johann. Not considered a Q2 until now.

I always liked the Q3 and nearly bought one a while ago but was too expensive when specced up.

At least with the Q2 there should be the option of the 1.4 petrol with DSG.

Not on general sale yet I believe but will check out the local dealer to see if they have one in and

will have a play with the Audi Configurator.

They Ateca looks less appealing as a Yeti replacement by the day!

• Like 1

Yes the dealer was surprised at so few DSG options. It really is a superb box and I have the 6 speed. Can only imagine what the

7 speed version is like. Why do manufacturers keep pushing manual boxes. I suppose there will always be people who like

fiddling about changing gears with a clutch. God knows why when some autos like the DSG are so good.

Most consumers look at the functionality&reliability vs price when buying something, whether a car or TV, like gains over risk. In my area the 7 speed DSG was 1700 euros and I didn't buy it. The Mercedes auto box was 2000 euros and I would have bought it. Why? Because when I search for mercedes dual clutch transmission problems I get only how dual clutch is working, news announcements, a few forums posts where it broke. When I search for dsg problems there are hundreds of thousands or articles, forums about it. In any European language. Yes they are about an old version of the box which may be fixed. But when a company messes up a product that the internet is flooded with unhappy users, negative posts, videos and reviews, even if the problem is fixed they can not pretend nothing happened and price the product like any other with clean history. I work in IT and remember the Vista mess. Although most Windows OS are stable, good and friendly products for the home user that product version broke the trust of millions of users, years after people were still afraid of upgrading from XP, some still are. A lot even left the Windows medium and moved to Unix, Mac. A bad product has a huge impact and takes a lot of time to clear it affecting also future versions (1, 2 or even 3 iterations) of that product which may function flawless but in the consumer mind it still has an increased risk of failing

• Like 1

I saw the new Q2 in the metal the other day. It looks a million times better in the metal than on photos. Perfect size and an amazing interior. I'd wait before getting an Ateca to see what you can get in the Q2. Yes you might end up with a smaller engine for the same money but trust me you'll have an infinitely better looking car inside and out than the Yeti or Ateca.

The Edition 1 especially looks great in the grey and black.

audi-q2-edition-1_800x0w.jpg

audi-q2-webss-333.jpg

I'll have a look at one of those when I finally retire and my wife and myself combine cars. 

Will look nice alongside the TT!

The dash/centre console looks a bit disjointed though (I prefer the Yeti) but is probably better in the flesh.

Edited by VAGCF

Very true but you have to admit the Yeti now looks incredibly dated. Different but thats about it.

You always pay a premium for style be it a car or any other consumer item. Otherwise Apple

wouldnt be the hugely successful company it is!

You always pay a premium for style be it a car or any other consumer item. Otherwise Apple

wouldnt be the hugely successful company it is!

That very much depends on:

(a) What you class as "style".  Does it just mean "the latest thing that everyone thinks is cool"?  This might be better called "fashion" IMO.  The Apple example is not wholly inappropriate:  I know one person who bought a16GB iPhone 3GS purely because it was white.  A year later she still had no idea what an app was, or how to install one on her phone.

(B) Whether the question of "style" actually matters to you, compared to utility, value for money etc.

I can think of a good few cars that unarguably "look dated" - not least because they are old - but which nonetheless just ooze genuine style.

Just look at all the posters on here who wanted to fit LED DRLs to the pre-facelift Yetis.  Does it make any actual difference to the usefulness of the car?  No.  That's the other kind of "style" - wanting to look like you've got what all the 'cool kids' have got.

So long as the thing doesn't look genuinely ugly (reference: the Ssangyong Rodius) I'm much more interested in practical features and vfm.

• Like 4

(a) What you class as "style".  Does it just mean "the latest thing that everyone thinks is cool"?  This might be better called "fashion" IMO.  The Apple example is not wholly inappropriate:  I know one person who bought a16GB iPhone 3GS purely because it was white.  A year later she still had no idea what an app was, or how to install one on her phone.

( B) Whether the question of "style" actually matters to you, compared to utility, value for money etc.

I can think of a good few cars that unarguably "look dated" - not least because they are old - but which nonetheless just ooze genuine style.

Just look at all the posters on here who wanted to fit LED DRLs to the pre-facelift Yetis.  Does it make any actual difference to the usefulness of the car?  No.  That's the other kind of "style" - wanting to look like you've got what all the 'cool kids' have got.

So long as the thing doesn't look genuinely ugly (reference: the Ssangyong Rodius) I'm much more interested in practical features and vfm.

Agreed, but there are too many elements about the Yeti that are becoming outdated including the basic chassis, technology, refinement etc. No one should be surprised about this because the design is over 7 years old and Skoda have invested little in keeping it updated, indeed, it is a testament to the original design concept that it has held up as well as it has. Nevertheless engineering technology has moved forward significantly in the last 7 years and the Yeti is now showing it's age; Skoda should be replacing it now and not letting it limp on into 2018. Many Yeti owners, me included, would have bought it's replacement if available now but won't wait another 2 years. The Ateca doesn't have the specs many of us need - no petrol DSG for example - so we are looking at non VAG alternatives and there are many of them as the "smaller" crossover market gets more competitive by the day.

• Like 2

I saw the new Q2 in the metal the other day. It looks a million times better in the metal than on photos. Perfect size and an amazing interior. I'd wait before getting an Ateca to see what you can get in the Q2. Yes you might end up with a smaller engine for the same money but trust me you'll have an infinitely better looking car inside and out than the Yeti or Ateca.

The Edition 1 especially looks great in the grey and black.

audi-q2-edition-1_800x0w.jpg

audi-q2-webss-333.jpg

Auto Express listed the prices yesterday, I think when I retire will be looking for comfort rather than sport.

The second picture is a yellow one, you can see it on mirror and open rear door reflection in mirror. I thought Audi said at Geneva it will be in bold colours not dour greys and black. I find it quite funny that they used boring grey for a press pic

(B) Whether the question of "style" actually matters to you, compared to utility, value for money etc.

I totally agree. I personally like the utilitarian look of my Yeti but not so keen on the FL version. It does what it says on the tin and

does it very well. I also have a shed load of Apple stuff bought not just because they look cool but they also work very well and

give me almost no trouble, like the Yeti. They also keep their price well when it comes to selling them on.

Unfortunately, my wife has never liked the look of the Yeti from day one. Maybe shouldn't have showed her a red one as a first introduction. Postman Pat jibes were not a good start! She really likes her sister's Qashquai. She doesn't drive so looks and comfort is all that matters.

She has been pushing me for some time now to get shot of the hated Yeti so hence time for a change. After over 3 years ownership

I tend to agree. It has been almost faultless up to now but lets not tempt fate. it is going to be a difficult task thats for sure!

Auto Express listed the prices yesterday, I think when I retire will be looking for comfort rather than sport.

The second picture is a yellow one, you can see it on mirror and open rear door reflection in mirror. I thought Audi said at Geneva it will be in bold colours not dour greys and black. I find it quite funny that they used boring grey for a press pic

I love the yellow one. However, my wife said a definite NO when I showed her a video of the orange Ateca so little chance

of getting a yellow anything. I hate boring colours. Ford and Fiat seem to give the best selection of colours although some

of the Fiat ones are very girly!

• 2 weeks later...

Spy pictures of heavily camouflaged versions testing in Germany and the United States................. was that with just the badge removed! :)

2.0 turbo petrol, that sounds interesting.

Edited by VAGCF

Spy pictures of heavily camouflaged versions testing in Germany and the United States................. was that with just the badge removed! :)

I think that's the current model pictured.....no spy pics yet......expect reduced aero drag to start with

2.0 turbo petrol, that sounds interesting.

For Europe I would expect a 1.5 turbo ......au 2.0 though.

What really annoys me in the UK, is you can get different specs in other parts of Europe, Ateca is available as a petrol DSG in some countries, and current Yeti is available as 1.4 petrol auto in some countries, but not UK

Not sure why the new Yeti is delayed so much if it is basically a badge engineered Ateca

It almost feels as Skoda UK have been ordered not to make something that might attract anyone from other brands in case Audi or VW lose a sale.

What really annoys me in the UK, is you can get different specs in other parts of Europe, Ateca is available as a petrol DSG in some countries, and current Yeti is available as 1.4 petrol auto in some countries, but not UKNot sure why the new Yeti is delayed so much if it is basically a badge engineered AtecaIt almost feels as Skoda UK have been ordered not to make something that might attract anyone from other brands in case Audi or VW lose a sale.

My view is that Skoda are focusing on the Kodiak and have deferred the Yeti II in favour of Seat and the Ateca. Seat are desperate for a new model as they really only have three and need to break into the SUV market. As the Ateca is being made by Skoda and not manufactured in Spain it does lend credence to the car being developed, under the skin, by Skoda and then given the Seat external touch.

In any case having looked at the Ateca I decided to wait for the Yeti II and as an interim I'm waiting a few more days for Yeti number three to arrive. One of the reasons was that none of the three dealers I contacted seemed to have any idea about customer service and as I'm very happy with my Skoda dealer waiting seemed like a good option. Additionally IF the Yeti II has the same basic 'guts' as the Ateca then maybe any bugs will have been sorted? There may also be some better engine / gearbox / hybrid options available when it does hit the showrooms in 2018. I'll certainly be interested to see what the Kodiak looks like etc., as I'm sure the Yeti II may feature a similar look.

• Like 2

My view is that Skoda are focusing on the Kodiak and have deferred the Yeti II in favour of Seat and the Ateca. Seat are desperate for a new model as they really only have three and need to break into the SUV market. As the Ateca is being made by Skoda and not manufactured in Spain it does lend credence to the car being developed, under the skin, by Skoda and then given the Seat external touch.

In any case having looked at the Ateca I decided to wait for the Yeti II and as an interim I'm waiting a few more days for Yeti number three to arrive. One of the reasons was that none of the three dealers I contacted seemed to have any idea about customer service and as I'm very happy with my Skoda dealer waiting seemed like a good option. Additionally IF the Yeti II has the same basic 'guts' as the Ateca then maybe any bugs will have been sorted? There may also be some better engine / gearbox / hybrid options available when it does hit the showrooms in 2018. I'll certainly be interested to see what the Kodiak looks like etc., as I'm sure the Yeti II may feature a similar look.

This on all fronts is the correct way to go.

Just go read some of the Yeti lemon posts from 2009 on this very forum. You never ever buy a car in its first year of production in my book. Every single buyer in the first year is just a VAG test engineer finding faults for them, that they didn't pick up yet to rectify. No thanks.

• Like 3

What really annoys me in the UK, is you can get different specs in other parts of Europe, Ateca is available as a petrol DSG in some countries, and current Yeti is available as 1.4 petrol auto in some countries, but not UKNot sure why the new Yeti is delayed so much if it is basically a badge engineered AtecaIt almost feels as Skoda UK have been ordered not to make something that might attract anyone from other brands in case Audi or VW lose a sale.

Probably some truth in that in the same way that some cars and other products are more expensive in the UK because "the market can afford it".

Obviously they'd prefer you to go for an Audi or VW but need to be careful that the savvy customer doesn't go elsewhere, outside of VWG.

Edited by VAGCF

Probably some truth in that in the same way that some cars and other products are more expensive in the UK because "the market can afford it".

Obviously they'd prefer you to go for an Audi or VW but need to be careful that the savvy customer doesn't go elsewhere, outside of VWG.

Yes, and VAG are desperate for cash to deal with the black hole they have in the US due to the emissions scandal. For the next 5 years VAG are going to be cash strapped as US lawyers suck them dry of every cent they can. Less cash for new models, development and customer service.

Edited by Expatman